Newbie conversion - making a plan

Marinerhuw

T6 Pro
Hi all, new to the group, trying to work through what exactly I want layout wise and order of things to do for my new van.

I’ve got a LWB T30. I compete in dog agility so as a definite I’ll be putting some custom built crates in the rear. Haven’t seen any photos of anything similar on here (perhaps a bit niche).

Thinking of pop top in the long run to save space. But is it easier getting pop top done early or is it simple enough to add it in at a later date (post conversion)?

I’m thinking first things I need to sort are insulation, sound deaden, plyline, carpet? And sort electrics at this stage (nothing too fancy - some downlighting, socket/usbs)? Add side windows before anything or add in after carpet?

Lots of newbie questions, sorry!

Welcome…

I would cut windows before insulating/carpeting.

As for the poptop depends how far down the line you’ll get this done - if it is a matter of weeks/months then get this done before any carpeting - if years then no reason why version 1 of the build couldn’t have roof lining, down lights, insulation etc and then v2 replaces this with the poptop.

As self build I would suggest trying out several options with temporary/low cost bits first to ensure you are happy with the layout - I used cardboard on my previous van when I built some rear wheel arch storage/seating to ensure it looked right and worked for example.

Typical order would be strip>cut metalwork>deaden>first fix wiring>insulation>ply>carpet

Welcome…

I would cut windows before insulating/carpeting.

As for the poptop depends how far down the line you’ll get this done - if it is a matter of weeks/months then get this done before any carpeting - if years then no reason why version 1 of the build couldn’t have roof lining, down lights, insulation etc and then v2 replaces this with the poptop.

As self build I would suggest trying out several options with temporary/low cost bits first to ensure you are happy with the layout - I used cardboard on my previous van when I built some rear wheel arch storage/seating to ensure it looked right and worked for example.

Typical order would be strip>cut metalwork>deaden>first fix wiring>insulation>ply>carpet

Thank you! I think funds might dictate pop top a little later but unsure and still unsure how much I’ll do myself, it’s all new to me!

Is the dog agility shows the only purpose for the van?
Will you need to carry passengers in the rear?
Do you plan on sleeping in the van? How many people? How often?

Is the dog agility shows the only purpose for the van?
Will you need to carry passengers in the rear?
Do you plan on sleeping in the van? How many people? How often?
Probably main use will be agility shows but also family holidays, me, wife, 4 year old kid. Pop top will solve one bed situation, assumed little one would have some other form of bed which i haven’t looked into yet. Wasn’t planning on seats in the rear as yet, as didn’t think there’d be room with dog crates.

I’ve seen some people have a board that goes across the front seats to make a bed for small children

Back