Newbie Camper Conversion

This sounds familiar (not especially the shocks, just the general idea), normally followed by "Don't ask me how I know it" :)

26171BC9-420A-4343-9E38-874D60079434.jpeg88890077-6E90-4C41-8A5A-D8BEC41B0A26.jpeg

I had bought ‘heavy duty’ spring compressor, but they were only just big enough for the T32!
Getting the springs off took longer than I’d imagined, but probably the longest and toughest job was removing the anti-roll bar drop link. There’s not enough access for a breaker bar and you’re forced to use a spanner as required to hold the Torx in place.
Loads of WD-40 and more choice words required.

A2F7D530-FD72-4AE9-9EFA-458D20C70440.jpegAF55CC13-99BC-4592-8E97-9EE2DCD71028.jpegDD67CFCD-67CA-4BD6-B1CD-1E433289ED13.jpeg

The top strut rubbers were cracked and split so needed to order replacements - this took over a week and is another story, (thanks to @CRS Performance for helping out).

Quick update;

I've been running the new shocks for a few weeks now, the ride has settled on the over sized 275/40/20 tyres and I'm mostly pleased.
The wheel alignment is booked into my local garage for next week. I was planning on swapping out the 275 for 265 due to a slow puncture but I've found a faulty valve so will keep them and replace when worn.
I am the proud owner of a VCDS unit, so need to workout how to inform the ECU of a change in tyre circumference.

I've finished the design for the kitchen;
Dometic sink, 65ltr fridge, 6ltr 12/240v water heater, underslung water tank with shower attachment on the outside quarter.
My chosen fitter is extremely busy so not sure when this will happen but needs to be soon as I have trips planned in the UK for July and Europe for August.

Currently, I'm trying to get my head around the electrics with my Victron kit and solar panel- I thought this was going to be the easy bit, but as with my whole build and being a complete novice I'm overwhelmed with the amount of differing information that's available!

I've booked a Ghost installation for next week too, my wife and I get very nervous when parking and leaving the van for any period of time, (sadly) - so this is additional peace of mind.

Ollie.

Quick update;

I've been running the new shocks for a few weeks now, the ride has settled on the over sized 275/40/20 tyres and I'm mostly pleased.
The wheel alignment is booked into my local garage for next week. I was planning on swapping out the 275 for 265 due to a slow puncture but I've found a faulty valve so will keep them and replace when worn.
I am the proud owner of a VCDS unit, so need to workout how to inform the ECU of a change in tyre circumference.

I've finished the design for the kitchen;
Dometic sink, 65ltr fridge, 6ltr 12/240v water heater, underslung water tank with shower attachment on the outside quarter.
My chosen fitter is extremely busy so not sure when this will happen but needs to be soon as I have trips planned in the UK for July and Europe for August.

Currently, I'm trying to get my head around the electrics with my Victron kit and solar panel- I thought this was going to be the easy bit, but as with my whole build and being a complete novice I'm overwhelmed with the amount of differing information that's available!

I've booked a Ghost installation for next week too, my wife and I get very nervous when parking and leaving the van for any period of time, (sadly) - so this is additional peace of mind.

Ollie.
Had my Ghost fitted last week. Sleep much better now!

Ghost now fitted and I can sleep easier at night and no-longer worry when parking in remote locations.

I had the tracking adjusted, this meant I went from around 6mm gap to the top of my suspension strut to around 2mm. Anytime the wheel deformed it rubbed. So have refitted the old wheels until I can get a new bracket from Steve that increases the height slightly. I’m also going to change the tyres from 275/40/20 to 260/40/20 at the front only.

B7E37DDB-3313-4604-985A-BD1376D2F3F3.jpeg

New battery from Renology finally arrived, I can’t believe how light this thing is. For two AGM 100/hr battery’s I was looking around 40kg, this equivalent this weighs 14kg!!
3C15CCC5-65EC-411B-8B12-D1D0132A3E35.jpeg

...and finally, I dropped of the van at the converters last night.
Walked through all the plans and optimal design.
I’m most excited about the dual 12v/240v 6ltr water heater I found. This, along with solar and decent battery will enable a good few nights of remote camping.

Fingers crossed!!!

Ollie.

I think we need to see more of that garage! Looks very tidy with hung up drills/drivers!!

The battery is ace! Not put it through its paces yet. Have a week away at a cottage but I'm going to run the fridge the whole time with some beers in and see how it performs. Will also see how well the solar does to keep it going!

So, after far too long the van has come back with a kitchen.
All the electrics I supplied are wired in and I'm moderately happy, (the build quality needs some attention as cupboards and draws don't line up).
Fitted the Reimo multi-rail this evening, had to wait for the sun to go away as it was so hot today.
IMG_3426.jpeg

Old wheels are back on as I'm waiting for new brackets as the 275/40/20's are rubbing!
The Victron kit is amazing, bluetooth interface superb with enough information to delve into when I get some time over the next few weeks.
IMG_3405.jpeg
IMG_3404.jpegIMG_3407.jpeg
The only downside was the water heater ended up under the bed, I really wanted this in the cuboard but had underestimated the requirement for horizontal mounting. It also required an expansion tank!
IMG_3406.jpeg

We're off for a two week test on Sunday; Brecon, Snowdonia, Peaks, lakes......
Diving straight in!!

Any handy points on the multirail fitting?
My LWB rail should be here next week.
Lovely van you have there, great colour scheme for the conversion, would have been my choice if I had bought laminate but went for ply instead.

Any handy points on the multirail fitting?
My LWB rail should be here next week.
Lovely van you have there, great colour scheme for the conversion, would have been my choice if I had bought laminate but went for ply instead.
Easier with a helping hand. I watched Kiravans excellent YouTube video and pretty much followed that to the letter.

Thanks for your kind comments on the van, my wife picked the colour scheme and I was apprehensive but glad we did something a little different!

So, after issues with the van electrics I’ve decided to strip the wiring out - work out what’s not working and why.
I also wanted to move many of the fittings and re-route most of the wiring and water pipes too as there was no real thought process followed that made best use of existing space.
149E0B93-E9BF-4153-BC25-9E080C2993B8.jpegCEAD0010-52FC-47B5-8778-85067CCE2734.jpeg915AAA7A-E87A-4AF9-95BC-9EEDB9F05DFA.jpeg1A0087D0-A73F-4F46-8E96-324F87AD2D12.jpeg

The battery wasn’t secured, thermostat not connected, (which was why the water heater never turned off), shunt incorrectly wired, (thanks for the dell @Dellmassive ) and no fuses anywhere. The cabling was neat and correctly sized, and all connections that I inspected good. The water level indicator never worked and the wiring routed through a hole in the floor and not protected, (already worn the outer sheath).

I’ve removed the battery and most of The major wiring. disconnect the bed but this can’t be removed. Disconnected all the water hoses, water heater and pump.

I’ve drawn out my new wiring diagram, but this is somewhat dynamic as I’m not sure how physically this will all work.
I spent a happy afternoon in the garage with some scrap wood making a cover for the battery, providing a place to mount some of the switching gear.A586D198-E25F-451D-AF19-81F363D23AB3.jpeg677DAFEA-DA6F-46D0-A74A-20E5FE310A69.jpeg19FBD38A-78D8-4275-92DC-2E30876FB522.jpeg

I’m now waiting on a few more heat pads, (don’t rely on the pictures on eBay, actually look at the measurements), more copper, fuses, terminal blocks and connectors.

I have a relay to automatically switch the heat pads on when the temperature drops below 5C.

I’m just making this up with massive help from the forum as I go along, not much else going on!

How did you fix your overhead units? Did you use L brackets and self tapping screws into the metalwork? I'm about to do mine, just concerned as units are quite heavy.

What an excellent write-up/thread. Love your "give it a go" approach and that forum members can jump in to give help when you're stuck. We all want to see pics of your organised garage though!!!

Great record of your work and tips for others, shame about the electrical issues. I’m sure there are others who would like to avoid the same, which converter did the electrical installation?
Loose battery is a real danger.

What an excellent write-up/thread. Love your "give it a go" approach and that forum members can jump in to give help when you're stuck. We all want to see pics of your organised garage though!!!
Ok - you might be disappointed but I’ll take one later for your pleasure:D

Ha ha ha! That’s positively pristine compared to the “bomb site” that is my garage! Like the clever re-use of the old kitchen units.

Only just discovered this section - my excuse is I am a newbie - bought this T6 today: delivered next Friday

25238A3E-A66B-41FB-82E2-149D3312AB46.jpeg

Back