Newbie Camper Conversion

So the next step didn’t quite go as planned. The Planar instructions are generic nature and not vehicle or boat specific.
I’d read a few entries on the form where others had installed diesel heaters.

So after removing the take , it’s then easy to remove the fuel sender until by using a small piece of wood and tapping the locking ring anti-clockwise.
Take a picture so you remember the fuel-pipe orientation
B9A1E239-9735-4171-B8F8-5D057C4331AD.jpeg

So I watched the Kiravans YouTube video of his diesel heater, and drilled a 6mm hole in the middle of the small box that’s stamped into the top of the sender unit.
I needed a 10mm hole, (the instructions said 16mm), for my pipe to fit. Kiravans also recommended cutting the pick-up pipe to 190mm. However one of the comments referred to Webasco and their instructions state 170mm otherwise the pick-up will be below the vehicles now pick-up proving the potential scenario of you running the tank empty!
477A71F2-EB53-426F-AC76-50D8936B14CB.jpeg
6F32DC22-345B-48BC-91E1-F5EFFF07B250.jpeg

What Kiravans don’t either require or miss out is the need to put a bend in the pipe to offset the lower part of the fuel sender.
Once I’d put this Ned in I lost around 1omm. So very annoyed, but I’m no expert and realising I’ll continue to make mistakes on this journey.
So two options, drill a hole into the actual diesel tank (as recommended by the instructions), or put this in as is and see how it goes. I really didn’t want to be drilling into the fuel tank, so it’s in there and I can always get a new pick-up pipe at a later stage.
928B169E-0ADA-4994-9F8F-39ADA797587E.jpeg

The under-trays were fifthly so washed these and gave them a good coat of ACF50, along with the fuel tank.
EF26AB53-54E6-45FF-8FDC-C23B232E6E53.jpeg
Connected the fuel line and clipped this into existing pipe clips and refitted the fuel tank.

Once back in place I ran the fuel line behind the heat shield over to the drivers side of the van.

Next job was to route the tow bar electrics up into the engine bay.
I routed this under all the trays, adding these each individually and zip tying along the way. I didn’t bother bringing the three wires into the passenger seat base, opting to solder the two wires together as instructed and kept the loom under the van.

Fo the life of my I can’t find the grommet that supposed to exist under or around the brake master cylinder. That’s a job for next weekend.

So I’ve had a few weeks away with work so this weekend I was determined to get the girl back on terra firma.
I finished off routing the harness for the new detachable tow-bar from PFJones deciding not too try and find the mystical grommet under the brake master cylinder and options to roosters it alongside the 240v cable into the passenger footwell using the coat hanger method
1506A901-77FD-403A-B667-87C275FA9C23.jpeg

Wiring up the rest of the battery side was relatively easy - the same can’t be said for the three wires you need to splice into the two connectors under the dash of the drivers side. There’s little room and it’s delicate.
Anywho- it’s in and I’m not sure if I can test out until it’s been programmed by VW, so onto finishing off the Planer diesel install.
7CD1AAF4-8DAA-4748-ADB8-ED6E72CED218.jpeg

Getting all of the gubbings into such a small space meant I needed to take my time and plan accordingly. Sometimes this meant re-routing cables and pipework. It’s neatly packed in and I made some minor adjustments to the exhaust so the cover wasn’t fouling.
B6A5EF51-4192-4039-87C7-0A4FFD4491DC.jpeg
41D1B1B6-E4D9-42E4-B4D6-BBB63AE655D1.jpeg 642E8E8D-E8D3-4B3E-B603-5CE099D0879D.jpeg CCFF34BB-C093-4175-B67B-8DA95AF33F91.jpeg

The tank was almost empty and my pick-up pipe isn’t quite long enough to reach the bottom of the tank so a quick road test was in order.
Amazingly, the heater managed to run on it’s third attempt after a lot of coughing during the second. The heat generated is impressive and the pump when warmed up is quiet.
5CA83D22-AEE2-4896-9F4D-E203B77A9691.jpeg
I used a temporary setup for testing.
Packed all the wiring neatly away for another two weeks as I’m off again.
RIB bed arrives a week on Friday - I’m assuming I can install it without the floor down, then remove again for floor fitting.

I forgot to mention that I’ve been washing and coating all the under panels, and fuel tank with liberal amounts of ACF50 - very satisfying
E8725B4E-0949-4DBB-B870-F0DB0EE17188.jpeg

Great write up Ollie. It's great to see so many images of work that I intend to carry out soon.
One question about the use of ACF-50 though is that it's not a long lasting corrosion inhibitor. It's great stuff but a more waxy product may be a better bet for long term protection?

Great write up Ollie. It's great to see so many images of work that I intend to carry out soon.
One question about the use of ACF-50 though is that it's not a long lasting corrosion inhibitor. It's great stuff but a more waxy product may be a better bet for long term protection?
I use it regularly on my Motorbike and here I'm only using it on the plastics.

I keep checking in with the progress Ollie and looks like things are moving forward nicely. Great photos and write up’s. Our T6 went in to the converters this week (Jack’s Shack), so am slightly apprehensive as to how its doing - wish the they’d offered me time lapse video progress...Lol.
Hope the cold weather doesn’t hamper your progress onto the next stage..

I plan to fit the carpet and replace the side window this Friday afternoon, that will add some much needed warmth and comfort :cool:

D12D58A4-7E81-4015-B407-CA7DC185E93F.jpeg

With some help I managed to get all the carpet in today. I also replaced the sliding window which didn’t turn out to be as painful as I anticipated.
I now need to order a ply panel set and hidden clips to finish off the inside. Still waiting for my bed since 3rd January.

How did you go about replacing your sliding window, I’ve had a similar problem where it slipped down and it bothers me so would really like to put it right!

I bought a specific knife that window fitters use to remove the glue.
(Photo upload not working for some reason)
I removed the trim and then set about cutting into the glue from inside the van.
It’s a laborious process, however once you get some leverage and can ‘prop’ the window open, you have easier access to cutting the rest of the glue out.
Get help to hold the window as you cut the final tendrils of glue away.
(I should have taken some pictures).

It wasn’t as difficult as I imagined, and probably took an hour.

View attachment 61303

With some help I managed to get all the carpet in today. I also replaced the sliding window which didn’t turn out to be as painful as I anticipated.
I now need to order a ply panel set and hidden clips to finish off the inside. Still waiting for my bed since 3rd January.
Nice job that.

Also can you post a link to the knife on Amazon? - might be a useful thing to have!

I bought a specific knife that window fitters use to remove the glue.
(Photo upload not working for some reason)
I removed the trim and then set about cutting into the glue from inside the van.
It’s a laborious process, however once you get some leverage and can ‘prop’ the window open, you have easier access to cutting the rest of the glue out.
Get help to hold the window as you cut the final tendrils of glue away.
(I should have taken some pictures).

It wasn’t as difficult as I imagined, and probably took an hour.

Were you able to re use and re bond the sliding window you removed?

Were you able to re use and re bond the sliding window you removed?
I had a replacement window, however the glass came off cleanly and it’s easy to remove the old bonding material. I can’t see any reason why you couldn’t reuse it.

OK, so the feckin window is now leaking:mad: It appears I didn’t apply enough glue or squeezed the window on with too much pressure.
It’s had lots of testing with all the rain.
I’ve applied a temporary fix, which unbelievably is working;
C0FFE9E7-BFC6-4125-BD82-9E9BBB6F8035.jpeg

It will have to come out again and be re-bonded. I was tempted by just applying sealant to the top gap, but it will only bug me!

This evening I had a go at carpeting one of the 5mm ply liners I made.
I used a heated 8mm drill bit to burn out the holes for the hidden clips
C0FFE9E7-BFC6-4125-BD82-9E9BBB6F8035.jpeg 7D684E36-7E45-4F8D-87A7-B61287C53510.jpeg
It didn’t require much heat either, and did a very neat job!
2FEEC649-CAA0-4FCB-98D5-C63A5329FE1D.jpeg
I used extended length clips, I’m not sure about them as at some angles you can see the head of the clips protruding through the carpet. I’ve ordered some of the recommended white versions from Megavanmats, arriving for the weekend. I’ll see what the difference is and might change this panel.
F80B495B-4299-44C8-9D5D-135CE4AE5970.jpeg

You're doing a grand job, mistakes will be made - but you are learning a lot. I didn't trust myself to do this so went the paid route so 'good on ya' for doing it yourself!

is the window the correct side?, doesn't the slider go at the front?, meaning the one pictured would fit the passenger side.

Back