New van spec/options.

whiskymac

Hi all,
Just about to order my new van and wondering about options/spec. It's a panel van for work (joiner).

Am looking at either the 150 or 204 in LWB T32....still not sure, currently in a T5.1 with 140 engine which is a nice balance of power and mpg. I did have the 180 for a while and it was fine but ate tyres lol...I didn't find a huge difference in real world performance between the 2 engines tbh.

Spec-wise I'm looking at:

-Highline trim
-extra dust seals,
-removable towbar
-heated seats.
-sat nav maybe?

I'm undecided on the sat nav, I do use it most days but manage pretty well with my Tom Tom on my iPhone. Anyone ordered the Sat Nav...is it any good? Always found factory sat nags a bit clunky and slow when I've had them in the past
Is it possible to upgrade the audio unit to Composition media with app-connect and use my Tom Tom app or maps as a sat nav through the audio units screen?

Any feedback on Sat Nav or how you are finding either 150 or 204 engines would be much appreciated. :)

Agree with you about the factory navs normally being a bit dissapointing but i have the discover media unit in mine and really like - it just works
Maps are instant no boot up time at all just does what its supposed too, the only bad point for me is entering a postcode because its german its designed to take a postcode of numerals so to enter an english one you have to switch back and forth between screens to enter letters-numbers-space-numbers-letters which is a bit annoying but not enough to put me off the unit overall

You are correct about the other unit though, if you get app connect it will throw your phone screen to the headunit and you can nav that way, if i were you i would go to a dealer and try them both out for yourself as the discover media is not a cheap upgrade, if you dont get it then you can put that money towards the LED headlights which are awesome and the biggest regret i have about mine :thumbsup:
If you move around a lot especially on site i would consider a reverse camera, now i am used to a camera on my T6 going to work in my transit its one thing i wish i had on my work van
Cant comment on the engine as i am in a euro5 140 :(

Agree with you about the factory navs normally being a bit dissapointing but i have the discover media unit in mine and really like - it just works
Maps are instant no boot up time at all just does what its supposed too, the only bad point for me is entering a postcode because its german its designed to take a postcode of numerals so to enter an english one you have to switch back and forth between screens to enter letters-numbers-space-numbers-letters which is a bit annoying but not enough to put me off the unit overall
Totally agree

The £100 for power latching of the side door is a no brainer IMHO- Almost worth it for the noise alone let alone the need for slamming and then watching then van rock for side to side when you do.

Thanks for the replies folks. :) I'll try and get into dealers on Monday and see if they have a van I can link my iPhone TomTom to.

With regards the LED front lights, who's got them on their vehicles?
I asked the salesman about them and he said they were fairly popular....but we could only find one T6 at the dealership that actually had them. The rest seemed to have standard lamps.

Thanks for the replies folks. :) I'll try and get into dealers on Monday and see if they have a van I can link my iPhone TomTom to.

With regards the LED front lights, who's got them on their vehicles?
I asked the salesman about them and he said they were fairly popular....but we could only find one T6 at the dealership that actually had them. The rest seemed to have standard lamps.
I think most people would say that the led lights are almost essential. I know that I am little disappointed mine doesn't have them.

I've got the 204 and I'm very impressed with the power and smoothness of it so would deffo recommend it . I'd also recommend the led lights too although it's an expensive option

whiskymac, definitely,definitely get the LED lights because the normal H4 or H7 are shite, you just as well be out front with two candles. Powered side doors preferably twin sliders a must, so so much better. I'm a carpenter too, oh and definitely tail gate cos that's great to work under. But you must get blackberry in colour cos that's the best:thumbsup:

Really? No ones ever mentioned them before...

H7s are fine. Other great T6 features do exist...like 4motion.
And 3 zone climate.
And an electric roof.
And so on....

Too right they are, love the DRL and they are fantastic in the dark.

Well I'll have to dip out of that particular thread of oneupmanship because I don't actually give a toss.
But do carry on mentioning them at every opportunity.

Handy that your lights are good in the dark though.

Well I'll have to dip out of that particular thread of oneupmanship because I don't actually give a toss.
But do carry on mentioning them at every opportunity.

Handy that your lights are good in the dark though.

Your grumpy old git! To manny or not enough whisky tonight?

How much are LED's? The standard lamps are sh!te but 25 quid on some Phillips something or other sorted that out.

There does appear to be some Top Trumps being played on here. Some people have either more money than sense or wishful thinking.

Hi all,
Just about to order my new van and wondering about options/spec. It's a panel van for work (joiner).

Am looking at either the 150 or 204 in LWB T32....still not sure, currently in a T5.1 with 140 engine which is a nice balance of power and mpg. I did have the 180 for a while and it was fine but ate tyres lol...I didn't find a huge difference in real world performance between the 2 engines tbh.

Spec-wise I'm looking at:

-Highline trim
-extra dust seals,
-removable towbar
-heated seats.
-sat nav maybe?

I'm undecided on the sat nav, I do use it most days but manage pretty well with my Tom Tom on my iPhone. Anyone ordered the Sat Nav...is it any good? Always found factory sat nags a bit clunky and slow when I've had them in the past
Is it possible to upgrade the audio unit to Composition media with app-connect and use my Tom Tom app or maps as a sat nav through the audio units screen?

Any feedback on Sat Nav or how you are finding either 150 or 204 engines would be much appreciated. :)
Just to throw a curve ball your way!
I know most people automatically go highline, but I started with a startline and put only the things I wanted on it.
I'm also a joiner and LWB is a must. T30 should be OK but Mines a Kombi so I had to go T32.
Extra dust seals definitely.
Led lights seam extravagant but they are awsome.
Read the options list back to front and any queries then you are better asking on here than asking your dealer as they don't seem to be up to speed.
Good luck mate

Really? No ones ever mentioned them before...

H7s are fine. Other great T6 features do exist...like 4motion.
And 3 zone climate.
And an electric roof.
And so on....
The H7's might be fine as I believe they are twin headlamps- think they come under the Light and Vision Plus pack, but without exaggeration, the standard H4's are complete garbage and it is a disgrace that VW supply a supposed premium vehicle with this equipment.
Don't think 3 zone climate and an electric roof is available on a van that the op was enquiring about though.
I have a the Discover sat nav and every time I've entered a post code, the unit has not recognised it, so had to enter street name instead. Disappointing on an £800 plus option.
If I was to re-spec my van, I would now go dsg and twin sliders instead of single.

The H7's might be fine as I believe they are twin headlamps- think they come under the Light and Vision Plus pack, but without exaggeration, the standard H4's are complete garbage and it is a disgrace that VW supply a supposed premium vehicle with this equipment.
Don't think 3 zone climate and an electric roof is available on a van that the op was enquiring about though.
I have a the Discover sat nav and every time I've entered a post code, the unit has not recognised it, so had to enter street name instead. Disappointing on an £800 plus option.
If I was to re-spec my van, I would now go dsg and twin sliders instead of single.
Satnav is subject of another thread here somewhere, you have to enter the first part e.g. S36 then put in a space (in the abc menu) then put in the second part e.g. 9SG
Works fine once you know!

Back