New Van Discounts 20%+ BUT ...

RealGoneKid

Hi

First time poster but long time lurker/researcher, about to press the button on a van to then convert to a camper. Right now a few people posting about high prices and deals hence hope this is useful.

I've used cars2buy.co.uk to seek out the keenest prices for on-line car broking previously. It works for vans too. Hence it has lead me to 3 brokers - 360, Discounted New Vans, and New Car Discounts. They are all offering 20%+ off base models at the moment. Here is the catch - they are all pre-registered and they will hold the V5 and not change it for 11 months, basically when the first years tax is due. Having asked the longest established of the three - New Car Discounts - their response is that VW say this practice stops people buying them and selling on to Ireland and making a quick buck ?

I have checked this out with Adrian Flux, they have no issue with it - they just record the broker as the "finance company" for the first year. Modification/conversion isn't an issue and we know we don't have to send anything to the DVLA. Finally we should be able to re-claim VAT for any business use % as HMRC would only want sight of the invoice and not the V5.

Unless I am missing something I don't see the pre-reg issue and twelve month hold having any more significant impact on future value than say buying a demonstrator with 1k miles on it. The discounts are attractive to reflect the risk on our side I guess.

Has anyone actually made a purchase of a van with such a broker doing this and gone through the camper conversion process successfully? Or maybe you are a van converter who have had a client do this, if so did you hear of any issues?

I had a few van like this it is called document retention. It’s legal but only just and Vw won’t like it I had renaults and vauxhalls . I had one order stopped but if they are already deliver then you are ok. Mine all got released after 6 months so it’s all ok as long as you don’t want to sell within the first year. I never had a problem when I sold them as the trade understand it .
hope it all goes well.

Yep done this on my last three vans . I keep them 8 years or so , no problems . Nice to get the v5 eventually though

I ordered my van on a scheme like this VW found out and cancelled the order a few weeks before delivery, so had to re-order and go back to the back of the order queue again

I had a few van like this it is called document retention. It’s legal but only just and Vw won’t like it I had renaults and vauxhalls . I had one order stopped but if they are already deliver then you are ok. Mine all got released after 6 months so it’s all ok as long as you don’t want to sell within the first year. I never had a problem when I sold them as the trade understand it .
hope it all goes well.
Why won't VW like it? My local dealer didn't mind it as they all know they are losing business to brokers and lease companies.
VW commercial vehicles are supplying lease companies at -20 to 30% anyway. Dealers are happy to get another van on the road by any means....After all they get all the warranty work and the vast majority of the servicing.
I purchased a van from happynewvan.com 3yrs ago and it was a total pleasure. They hung on to the V5 for 6 months but then sent it through no issue at all.

Hi

First time poster but long time lurker/researcher, about to press the button on a van to then convert to a camper. Right now a few people posting about high prices and deals hence hope this is useful.

I've used cars2buy.co.uk to seek out the keenest prices for on-line car broking previously. It works for vans too. Hence it has lead me to 3 brokers - 360, Discounted New Vans, and New Car Discounts. They are all offering 20%+ off base models at the moment. Here is the catch - they are all pre-registered and they will hold the V5 and not change it for 11 months, basically when the first years tax is due. Having asked the longest established of the three - New Car Discounts - their response is that VW say this practice stops people buying them and selling on to Ireland and making a quick buck ?

I have checked this out with Adrian Flux, they have no issue with it - they just record the broker as the "finance company" for the first year. Modification/conversion isn't an issue and we know we don't have to send anything to the DVLA. Finally we should be able to re-claim VAT for any business use % as HMRC would only want sight of the invoice and not the V5.

Unless I am missing something I don't see the pre-reg issue and twelve month hold having any more significant impact on future value than say buying a demonstrator with 1k miles on it. The discounts are attractive to reflect the risk on our side I guess.

Has anyone actually made a purchase of a van with such a broker doing this and gone through the camper conversion process successfully? Or maybe you are a van converter who have had a client do this, if so did you hear of any issues?

I am also looking at cars2buy and wondered what happens about reclassifying log book as a camper, given they hold v5 for 12 months. How does this work?

Back