New to Campervans after twenty years with Motorhomes.

Driftwood

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Just introducing myself to the forum. I have purchased a T6 (2016) newly converted by a professional converter near Solihull. I already have my first problem in that the fuel gauge is not working properly after the diesel heater was installed. I am not a mechanic but after scouting around on the forum I realise that I am expected to buy an OBD reader (and pay £40 a year for a subscription) if I want any hope of diagnosing the fault. Oh dear - not a good start....T6 - 1.jpeg

I did the same thing in January last year after 10 years of owning a motorhome. Now the wife drives it more than me as she loves it. Takes a little getting use to, but great.

The members on here are great and so helpful.

Did the fitter remove your fuel tank to fit the supply for the heater? I would go back to him/her first before buying anything.

Welcome to the forum.

On Monday I will of course contact the converters with reference to the fitting of the diesel heater, a task which they undertook before I picked up the van from them. To fit it they would have had to remove the fuel tank and the driver's seat. Everything I read on here and elsewhere suggests that the removal of the driving seat and/or the fuel tank will probably be the cause of the issue. However, I am not looking forward to my conversation with them!

On Monday I will of course contact the converters with reference to the fitting of the diesel heater, a task which they undertook before I picked up the van from them. To fit it they would have had to remove the fuel tank and the driver's seat. Everything I read on here and elsewhere suggests that the removal of the driving seat and/or the fuel tank will probably be the cause of the issue. However, I am not looking forward to my conversation with them!
It's always a pain in the ass to ask for things to be made right, fingers crossed for you.

It's always a pain in the ass to ask for things to be made right, fingers crossed for you.
I stressed out unnecessarily. I emailed the MD and he phoned me within five minutes. He sent his workshop supervisor out to pick up the T6 straight away. The guy was here within about two hours and assured me it will be fixed. He has even left his own personal car here so I am sure he will be back within a day or two. Very impressed, especially since their workshops must be about 55 miles away. There are still some companies around who offer great service.

I stressed out unnecessarily. I emailed the MD and he phoned me within five minutes. He sent his workshop supervisor out to pick up the T6 straight away. The guy was here within about two hours and assured me it will be fixed. He has even left his own personal car here so I am sure he will be back within a day or two. Very impressed, especially since their workshops must be about 55 miles away. There are still some companies around who offer great service.
That's great news and pleased for you. Now all you have to do is get it back and enjoy it. I have loved the past 12 months owning ours and spent more money on "mods" than on days away.......... as many on here will tell you it's a bit of a money pit. We are looking forward to getting back to UK for a visit this year and go to a few shows.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad it is getting sorted - and you’re discovering the value of this forum.

Wishing you many years of fun in your van

Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad it is getting sorted - and you’re discovering the value of this forum.

Wishing you many years of fun in your van
The converters investigated and have said it was the pipe not being bent correctly, exactly as forum members have said. They have now fixed it. Great advice from various forum members for which I am very grateful.

Hi we bought our t6 last year after motorhoming for best part of 20yrs, I love driving the t6 and getting away for weekends in it were still getting used to having less space but managing,and we're still motorhome fun members to,
enjoy your new van hope all goes well for you

@Driftwood I am in Telford and have VCDS should I be able to help with anything.
Thanks for the offer. Luckily the supplying converter/dealer has been very pro-active in sorting out my problem and it is now fixed. I will remember your offer if I have another issue in the future. I lived in various places in Telford on and off between the 1970s and 2015. I am now about eight miles from you on the road to Stafford.

Hi we bought our t6 last year after motorhoming for best part of 20yrs, I love driving the t6 and getting away for weekends in it were still getting used to having less space but managing,and we're still motorhome fun members to,
enjoy your new van hope all goes well for you
You have put our finger on our biggest concern. I thought the lack of a toilet/bathroom would be our main issue but we have quickly learned that it is the lack of storage which is going to give us the most headaches. Do you have any tips which you might like to pass onto us? What kind of things which you thought you could not live without in your motorhomes have you unexpectedly managed to live without in the T6.

@Driftwood this is how we overcame storage space and extra comfort a long time ago...

Image1.jpg

Picture taken at Nant-Y-Moch last summer, nice place for a quiet overnight if you like that sort of place.

However we now have a LWB MAN TGE (VW Crafter in disguise) on order to have converted to our specification.

@Driftwood I think we've learnt that we always took to much stuff because we had the space to store it all,we had a week away in it last year and my wife managed with fewer clothes instead of a suitcase full which surprised us both,having the storage under the double seat helps

The lack of a toilet and bathroom (sink) is not a problem (maybe for some) as you may be a campsite user and therefore have everything needed there.

We do not use campsites (or at least we try not too) as we have a portable loo and wash the van. This took a little getting use to, but it is not an issue.

Last year we travelled around France/Germany using Aires/Stellplatz 90% of the 6 weeks and 10% on campsites or showers/washing/toilet etc.

What we really like is the ease of parking in small towns and villages in a normal car parking space and no one gives you a second glance.

Link to loo we use: loo.jpg
loo1.jpg

and lid: lid.jpg
Works for us as packs away so small, but takes 2 minutes to make ready. Bag it.... tie it...... bin it..... perfect. Fits where ever you want it and no smell with supplied chemicals however we use cat little which works a treat. Can take my 97kg but think it goes up to 150kg

Last edited:
The lack of a toilet and bathroom (sink) is not a problem (maybe for some) as you may be a campsite user and therefore have everything needed there.

We do not use campsites (or at least we try not too) as we have a portable loo and wash the van. This took a little getting use to, but it is not an issue.

Last year we travelled around France/Germany using Aires/Stellplatz 90% of the 6 weeks and 10% on campsites or showers/washing/toilet etc.

What we really like is the ease of parking in small towns and villages in a normal car parking space and no one gives you a second glance.

Link to loo we use: View attachment 146742
View attachment 146743

and lid: View attachment 146744
Works of us as packs away so small, but takes 2 minutes to make ready. Bag it.... tie it...... bin it..... perfect.
Do you hover?!!!

Back