New T6 Towbar Reverse Light Connection.

david.towler

Hi all,

I have got a T6 lwb for work and started to fit things to help with day to day work. It has come with the 13pin tow bar. So I have made a led light with magnetic base to use as a work light and works excellent and just plugs into the towbar connected to the permanent 12v. I also made a reverse lamp to mount and then leave in the towbar. It's wired and works but not when in the towbar socket. Used pin 3 ground and 8 reverse and looks to be a wire in the socket for it. Any thoughts? Are they not connected from factory?

I think the van did not detect the trailer yet - thus the trailer socket was not energized (except the permanent 12V, pin 9).
Some more ---> 13 pin towing socket

Unfortunately I don't know which circuits need to be present for trailer to be detected. I'd guess at least turning indicators... :unsure:

Okay i see what your saying. Had thought it would just detect if it saw load. Only wanted to use the towbar plug for the reverse light was so the van was left unmodified as its a work van and not my own.

Looks like I may have sorted it with a push in the right direction. Looks like I need to link pin 12 to earth pin 3 so it thinks a trailer is connected. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks in advance

Looks like I may have sorted it with a push in the right direction. Looks like I need to link pin 12 to earth pin 3 so it thinks a trailer is connected. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks in advance
I would say no. Factory installed socket has no wire in pin 12. See a picture ---> 13 pin towing socket

Back