New T6 Owner

bootsam

Mechanical Engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi. 1st post from me. Just bought a 30k 2016 204hp 4motion dsg kombi. To camper up. 1st step leisure battery, 2nd - poptop (hilo), 3rd - RnR etc...

I've been perusing this site and theres so much info here, so much. Please excuse any silly questions. I've a sense of humour, so dont mind bants.

Spent all our budget on the bus lol, but thats ok. i figure 10k savings should do it over the course of a year all in. Prob less as apart from poptop, ill do the rest. Im an engineer, so relatively ok with technical stuff.

Cant possibly cost me more than our old T2b bled from us over the many years we had him. Hopefully. :) But I dont mind if I blow our budget, its a hobby that wifey shares.

Was nice to drive a bus with brakes and power steering, that I could also get up hills without bits falling off.

She's here. Took an emergency 1/2 day, so now Im off out to acclimatise. Bit different from my Saab93. :)

Its got some poke. I need to get my throttle and brake 'feel', so Im smooth.

Came with full tank too. Thanks to SMG Tonbridge. Nice guys.

Its chrome yellow.

She's here. Took an emergency 1/2 day, so now Im off out to acclimatise. Bit different from my Saab93. :)

Its got some poke. I need to get my throttle and brake 'feel', so Im smooth.

Came with full tank too. Thanks to SMG Tonbridge. Nice guys.

Its chrome yellow.
Welcome to the joy of T6 ownership!

Love chrome yellow! We’re going to need to see some pictures!

Hi. 1st post from me. Just bought a 30k 2016 204hp 4motion dsg kombi. To camper up. 1st step leisure battery, 2nd - poptop (hilo), 3rd - RnR etc...

I've been perusing this site and theres so much info here, so much. Please excuse any silly questions. I've a sense of humour, so dont mind bants.

Spent all our budget on the bus lol, but thats ok. i figure 10k savings should do it over the course of a year all in. Prob less as apart from poptop, ill do the rest. Im an engineer, so relatively ok with technical stuff.
Welcome. The collective could blow that £10k budget in the blink of an eye.
I’ll start, that leisure battery setup needs to be Lithium.........

Be careful with the HiLo roof, some horror stories in here.

Ummm.......lots of options...for me less is more ...but mines like me hair....Grey with silver bits ( quick update the wife assures it’s now white) :):):)

Go to a recommended HiLo roof installer and you’ll be fine. This is my second van and my second HiLo roof. Absolutely no problems and in my opinion still the best for that discrete look. Mine fitted at www.xtremevan.co.uk .

Go to a recommended HiLo roof installer and you’ll be fine. This is my second van and my second HiLo roof. Absolutely no problems and in my opinion still the best for that discrete look. Mine fitted at www.xtremevan.co.uk .

Agree, pick your installer with great care, my HiLo has also been perfect, but many others have been far less fortunate.

Thanks for the advice. Something as structurally significant as a poptop will get my utmost attention and the installer will be chosen carefully. I dont mind travelling. I still ride 60miles to get my bike serviced at a dealer I trust implicitly, rather than use either of the two local to me. I understand the importance of a job done properly and am happy to pay the premium that entails.

Took the Vanana out for a long drive yesterday. Apart from my old T2, I am not used to driving a van. But the T6 is very comfortable and I love the high seated position. Drives like a car. The additional width is no trouble and the huge mirrors are ace. The centre headrest of the rearseats are a pain and have been removed and I am unsure of the dark tint rear window. But I'll get used to it and adapt.

TBH, my fave bit is the radio and hifi. Proper DAB means I can listen to BBC R6 without all the kerfuffle of cables. Its a tiny thing, but music is important to both of us.

The windscreen wipers came on automatically yesterday during a brief shower and surprised me. I doubt theres many options that the orig owner did not spec on this van. The adaptive cruise control is another thing I like as Im a lazy driver. Im not generally in too much of a hurry on 4 wheels. Im an asshole on 2 though, so apologies in advance. I've yet to figure out how to use it. I have my 6yr old GD this weekend and she loves the Vanana, so we'll figure it out between us.

Had our van serviced at SMG Tonbridge last month, and was admiring ‘your van’ on the forecourt @bootsam. Colour looked fantastic in the sunshine, and my wife (who never usually comments on such things) said she liked the graphics too!

Hi there, nice looking T6. Word of warning if you are going to park her/ him as the photo. My drive is a very similar slope. I let her go less than a quarter of a tank of fuel and she wouldn’t start, VW called and explained that the tank has a bowl in it, if it’s a quarter or less the fuel will fill this bowl and won’t see the fuel pump. It all magic to me so I keep her at least half full, no issues since.

Back