New T6.1 Shuttle Owner

nebw

Hello all, this looks like a really useful and active forum and I hope I'll have something useful to contribute soon :)

I have just bought a 72 plate Shuttle SWB BiTDi from a main dealer. No pics as it is still at the dealers 300 miles away at the moment, but apart from the engine it's fairly basic spec, just + heated screen, pro nav. Mojave beige. Would have loved other things like privacy glass, folding mirrors, but the price was good and I wanted an 8 rather than 9 seater, and SWB and BiTDi, so not many ticking those 3 boxes.

Anyway, plan is to use it 1/3 for big family get togethers (4 adult children), 1/3 for shifting big items around and 1/3 for makeshift camping. We've had Caravelles a few years back and this time I am deliberately sacrificing some poshness for reduced cost and for lower chiropractor bills when removing the rear bench.

Re the makeshift camping, I'm probably going to make a plywood platform to cover the whole width of the rear with both rear seat rows removed, leaving maybe 50cm or so gap at the rear, and bung a couple of Ikea foam mattresses on top of it. The platform will sit on some ply cross pieces about 30cm high, which effectively become storage spaces. Throw a massive duvet on top and you have something a bit quieter on the motorway and that functions like an instant super comfortable tent but is far more basic than a proper conversion. The ply bits just sit in the garage when not being used this way, the mattresses are useful in the house as spare temporary beds.

Anyone done similar to theirs ? I did the same with a V Class a few years ago (photos of ply structure attached). The VW should have a bit more space I think ?

All thoughts welcome.

IMG_20201002_145332271.jpg

IMG_20201002_145339818_HDR.jpg

Back