New shape Transporter coming?

Chassis, engine, gearbox and onboard software is VW . It will be Transporter 100%.
The Transit is the copy here. However Ford will have its own plug in hybrid system not shared. Its own on board software. And of course the transit will look cooler as usual.
Good to see the new transit out now. When VW will start selling the transporter all main issues will be already ironed.
@Crazymind let's hope whatever electronics and electric wizzardy is in it, it doesn't suffer from the Power drain of current Custom!

I think the problem the Transporter may have with being the same as the Transit, is that it might 'split the pack' in terms of the 'van scene'.

I believe the historical love affair with the Transporter and it being unique at every point in the market throughout its history plus its great build quality, have led it to its current 'enthusiasts' vehicle status.

I predict the T5>T6.1 will become more desirable after they are no longer being made, in a similar way to the Land Rover Defender.

Time will tell I guess

I was chatting to the sales guy at my local dealership last week. He was saying they were expecting the new Transporter to be delivered in 2025, so that probably means orders opening in 2024

I still reckon that VW will have different styling, quality, options and market positioning to the Ford and that there will not be that much crossover. Like Audi/VW cars they are fundamentally the same but quite different positioning

I was chatting to the sales guy at my local dealership last week. He was saying they were expecting the new Transporter to be delivered in 2025, so that probably means orders opening in 2024

I still reckon that VW will have different styling, quality, options and market positioning to the Ford and that there will not be that much crossover. Like Audi/VW cars they are fundamentally the same but quite different positioning
If T6.1 lead times are anything to go by, they need to be opening for orders right now.

I predict the T5>T6.1 will become more desirable after they are no longer being made, in a similar way to the Land Rover Defender.

Time will tell I guess
Funny you should say that, Mrs Spuds & I have only just being saying the same. Our van is galloping up to 6 years old, & in normal times we'd have a replacement on order by now. But I can't see our T6 204 DSG 4Mot getting chopped in any time soon, especially as the 4mot is no longer available.

All I can think about is the Galaxy/Sharan......pretty much separated by a badge

@Crazymind let's hope whatever electronics and electric wizzardy is in it, it doesn't suffer from the Power drain of current Custom!
Ours was useless to us because of this. We gave it to the Brickie’s. We couldn’t leave it for two days without it locking us out. (The key never fitted the door lock…)

Was so glad to be back in a Transporter.

Ours was useless to us because of this. We gave it to the Brickie’s. We couldn’t leave it for two days without it locking us out. (The key never fitted the door lock…)

Was so glad to be back in a Transporter.
My custom (cough) is grand if driven daily or left one day max. I've actually started driving round with my Noco GBX75 permanently clipped onto battery. Apart from alarm going off, interior lights flashing and hazards going mad far more inconspicuous to the unassuming passer by lol. Bugger is when you get to destination and battery still flat. I've sussed this though. Hook up booster....lock doors with engine running. Then turn off and lock driver door with key. So many reasonably priced T6s now... Don't think it'll be long before I change!

Brickie uses it every day, so it’s OK for him - we stuck a battery on it, and he carelessly throws a mixer and rubble in the back, it’s the best it deserves! Useless, and I really wanted to like it….

I find it surprising when i hear these stories as i have run several transits over the years and have a couple facelift customs at the moment and never had any real issues with them, they get parked up for a couple weeks a few times a year over christmas and when people are on holiday and not had any problems with them going flat

I find it surprising when i hear these stories as i have run several transits over the years and have a couple facelift customs at the moment and never had any real issues with them, they get parked up for a couple weeks a few times a year over christmas and when people are on holiday and not had any problems with them going flat
I raise your surprise with pure frustration

There’s a few I know of, and many more than there should be - the newer dash models seem much worse. We’ve a connect (17/old shape) that I can’t fault, as much as I’d like to. It’s been remarkably good. It’s very basic/not a limited.

100% honesty, it’s great that I’ve an excuse to stick with the Transporter. I’m hopeful the TransitSporter will be good, but I can’t see them::

Putting independent rear suspension on the custom.

Making a specific VW floor pan for the above.

Accepting a loss in premium margins…

Managing to justify the premium price.

If we needed a new connect size van, I’m not sure I could buy a caddy with a justifiable business like head on. (Have had all the other caddys, and still have a MK1)

Hi @Pauly just back from Easter break. Van was perfect, started everytime no worries. I wondered if I could pick your brain as fearing the worst.... Any issues with loosing 5th gear intermittently in your Customs? 6 speed ecoblue developed issue over last few weeks.... Reading about another common fault and 5th gear welded and braking free? Happy to move to pub chat if poss! Any experience @Two7Five

Like I've said fortunately I've not had any issues with our ones old and new (nor any of the trades i work with)

Hi @Pauly just back from Easter break. Van was perfect, started everytime no worries. I wondered if I could pick your brain as fearing the worst.... Any issues with loosing 5th gear intermittently in your Customs? 6 speed ecoblue developed issue over last few weeks.... Reading about another common fault and 5th gear welded and braking free? Happy to move to pub chat if poss! Any experience @Two7Five
All of my experience has been with manuals.

I could probably steal an auto to try tho - we’ve been doing it to mine for many months!

Back