Am I correct in thinking transporters are garbage?

JonriceT6

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’ve owned my transporter for 18months. Loved it, had it converted. Love the looks, love the practicability and suitability for the family.
But oh my… they are woeful mechanically .
In the 18months of ownership -
17 miles on clock when bought.
It’s had :
software update due to high oil level.
Complimentary oil change due to this issue.
Software update for the error on the emergency button
New clutch and flywheel
2 recalls carried out.
Now excessive oil due to the regeneration process putting diesel into the oil system.
VW assist out and few times and another date booked in with VW.
I would hate to know the cost of all this if it wasn’t under warranty.

Depressing is an understatement

I think whenever a new version of something comes out the consumer is used as a test bed for the product, we see it with phones, computers etc, whenever a new operating system is released for microsoft or apple there are issues and the companies have to issue fixes. I think these vans are getting so complicated now there are bound to be problems that you would think should have been resolved before coming to market. The T6.1 probably fixed some issues with the T6 but created new ones, that's one of the reasons this forum is so useful, someone has always had the same problem, eventually there will be nothing left to fix and you will be able to hopefully enjoy the van

No vehicle should need a new clutch and flywheel in the first 18 months of ownership, I agree @Jonrice, that's not acceptable.
Most of the other problems seem to be linked to the DPF function, sadly common not just in VW products but in a various other makes too.
Hopefully once these issues are resolved you will get many years of trouble free enjoyment from your T6.

Yeah, I agree.
since last September I’ve had to replace injectors, replace dpf and replace glow plugs in a three year old van.
Dissapointed…but the worst part has been dealing with the main VW dealer in Dublin, Frank Keane, which has been a nightmare. VW used car warranty is useless as it seems to cover nothing.

I’ve owned my transporter for 18months. Loved it, had it converted. Love the looks, love the practicability and suitability for the family.
It’s had :
New clutch and flywheel
2 recalls carried out.
Now excessive oil due to the regeneration process putting diesel into the oil system.

Reminds me of the super reliable bullet proof Toyota Hilux I bought brand new. The clutch went at 5k miles which was at a couple of months old, I was a 30k miles/year road warrior at the time. Took it back to the main dealers & the service manager said that it wasn’t covered under warranty as it was a “wear part” and it must be down to my driving style. I gently disabused him of the situation, in my shy retiring Barnsley style & he immediately agreed to replace the clutch & flywheel under warranty. A month later there was a recall from Toyota for a faulty batch of clutches :whistle:
So it’s not just VWs, I’m sure EVERY manufacturer has a horror story to tell.

I did almost 75k in a 2016 Euro 5 16 plate, 62k in a 2018 Euro 6 68 plate, and now on almost 18k in a Euro 6 22 plate Sportline.
Other than routine maintenance and tyres there's been no issues with any of them.

I have a Euro 6 2018 T6 Highline with 48k on it, other than routine maintenance and tyres I have had no issues at all. Fingers crossed it stays like that.

Hi @JonriceT6,
I think there are various issues, which have mostly/variously been covered in other threads, but not so far here;
The Euro 6 T6s and T6.1s need to be driven quite a distance per drive to allow the engine temperature up to a level that various sensors, the DPF, EGR etc need be to activate correctly.
(And you need to keep the fuel tank over ¼ full for things to activate.)
Hence, I believe, the comments re high mileage and no issues.
I doubt that VW dealerships, or even any other trying to make a sale, would enquire as to what type/mileage trips etc etc a new owner was planning to make?
“Ah, madam/sir, we wouldn’t recommend you buying one of our vehicles with the Euro 6 engine, for various/numerous consecutive shorter journeys. Far better you buy the petrol engined version that we stopped making some years ago, after a short run.”

The Euro 6/adBlue system as it is currently setup by VW seems to create as many issues as it tries to solve.
I personally think that unless prospective owners were warned of these shortcomings prior purchase then the vehicles are being miss sold.
I am coming to realise, after my time on this excellent forum, that when I need to pop into town, to collect meds etc I need, to plan a 25 mile journey, (with DSG in Sport to keep revs/temp up,) to cover the 1½ miles I would need to walk if feeling up to it and it wasn’t raining sideways.

I wonder if anyone has been advised these items prior purchase?
I hope yours and all the issues are corrected, and in a timely fashion.
(We can dream )
Andy

Reactions: CAB
Hi @JonriceT6,
I think there are various issues, which have mostly/variously been covered in other threads, but not so far here;
The Euro 6 T6s and T6.1s need to be driven quite a distance per drive to allow the engine temperature up to a level that various sensors, the DPF, EGR etc need be to activate correctly.
(And you need to keep the fuel tank over ¼ full for things to activate.)
Hence, I believe, the comments re high mileage and no issues.
I doubt that VW dealerships, or even any other trying to make a sale, would enquire as to what type/mileage trips etc etc a new owner was planning to make?
“Ah, madam/sir, we wouldn’t recommend you buying one of our vehicles with the Euro 6 engine, for various/numerous consecutive shorter journeys. Far better you buy the petrol engined version that we stopped making some years ago, after a short run.”

The Euro 6/adBlue system as it is currently setup by VW seems to create as many issues as it tries to solve.
I personally think that unless prospective owners were warned of these shortcomings prior purchase then the vehicles are being miss sold.
I am coming to realise, after my time on this excellent forum, that when I need to pop into town, to collect meds etc I need, to plan a 25 mile journey, (with DSG in Sport to keep revs/temp up,) to cover the 1½ miles I would need to walk if feeling up to it and it wasn’t raining sideways.

I wonder if anyone has been advised these items prior purchase?
I hope yours and all the issues are corrected, and in a timely fashion.
(We can dream )
Andy
Completely understand Andy, I use mine as a daily driver too. Which I suppose isn’t helping.
But if I’m after a campervan for trips away I suppose there’s Not many petrol versions about to suit a daily driving regime too?

It’s had :
New clutch and flywheel
2 recalls carried out.

Dual mass flywheel (and therefore clutches really) seem a huge issue with VW transporters. Oil level increases seem pretty big and I have that in the golf.

Definitely an empowers new clothes type vehicle - people think it’s better because it cost more. That keeps resale high and owners not willing to fully admit it’s no better than a transit.

I have had quite a lot of VWs over the years, Fords and Renaults being the other main contenders but Citroens and Mazda too. Most of these cars but some vans. After the Mazda the Fords proved most reliable (and comfortable) but they lack the material quality and design and value drops like a stone. Citroens were fun but woefully unreliable. VW is in the middle. I do love the camper, just as I did my old beetle decades ago, but it has cost a fortune in maintenance. By 36k it has had new shocks, DMF, clutch, front arm bushes, cam belt and water pump.
Can’t think of another brand that would want all that by 36k miles.

I had Complimentary oil and filter change at 6k. Plan on getting another oil and filter change 6 months early, shortly too

Back