New 2022 tyre tests are out

Long tall John

VIP Member
T6 Guru

Still think Miches are the best all rounder and have good longevity.
I am tempted by the hankooks this time though on recent tests.

For your van or car? The Hankooks have a rating of 102 which is adequate but I’m still thinking of the Agilis cross climate rated 107.

@Long tall John Great links, thanks.

Is anyone running the Hankooks and can comment on longevity?

Like @cossie I'm a big fan of Michelin tyres and have run them exclusively on my previous 2 vehicles. However, I'm in the market to replace my stock 16" wheels and will need to compromise to keep the costs reasonable so may lower my sights on the tyres.

Like @cossie I'm a big fan of Michelin tyres and have run them exclusively on my previous 2 vehicles. However, I'm in the market to replace my stock 16" wheels and will need to compromise to keep the costs reasonable so may lower my sights on the tyres.
Have to say I’ve only ever had Michelin on my cars for the last 25 years. Rolling a car wearing Avon tyres just made me look at tyres in a new way. I’m always really pleased and impressed by Michelins.

When we bought the van two years ago it came with Hankook R28e so I naturally did lots of research. Clearly the van isn’t driven anything like the car (although it’s almost a ton heavier so the tyres still work hard) but when two tyres came up for renewal I was so pleased with the Hankook I didn’t think twice. Well, I did but not for too long…
As for longevity we have driven 10k miles on the new Hankook and to be honest I can’t see any obvious signs of wear. Each model, even within the same brand, will differ but the R28 (215/65 r16 104/107 from memory) do seem to be holding up very well.

On my second set of Michelin crossclimate 2 SUV. Not sure about longevity under the transporter compared to Agilis, however comfort improvement is relevant.
Most annoying is the lack of grip when wet and slightly uphill from standstill. Can’t quickly leave junctions.
Done a lot of deep snow without any issue and very good on wet. Went down to Spain in July at 40+ Celsius and only noticed they were a bit noisier than I would have expected . Over the years I went down the Chinese route as well, like many. And like many, back to the tyres pro, Michelin, Continental and Goodyear. Not far behind I highly rate Hankook and Vredestein. Other than the mentioned 5 brands I would not buy anything else.

Michelin Cross Climate 2 went on my van as soon as I got it. Been all over europe in varying weather and road conditions and they are excellent - I live in a country where winter tyres are mandated and on top of being excellent all-round tyres, they save me the twice annual tyre swap and having to keep a spare set of wheels for winter. So far wear is also good at 14000 km.

Would highly recommend them.

Have to say I’ve only ever had Michelin on my cars for the last 25 years. Rolling a car wearing Avon tyres just made me look at tyres in a new way. I’m always really pleased and impressed by Michelins.

When we bought the van two years ago it came with Hankook R28e so I naturally did lots of research. Clearly the van isn’t driven anything like the car (although it’s almost a ton heavier so the tyres still work hard) but when two tyres came up for renewal I was so pleased with the Hankook I didn’t think twice. Well, I did but not for too long…
As for longevity we have driven 10k miles on the new Hankook and to be honest I can’t see any obvious signs of wear. Each model, even within the same brand, will differ but the R28 (215/65 r16 104/107 from memory) do seem to be holding up very well.
My Hankooks are lasting very well. At 12,000 miles still loads or wear left in them - mostly motorway miles and fast A roads.

I’m now torn between these and Agilis cross climate. I’ve still got 3000 miles left on my current set and can’t bear to waste them so plenty of time for me to make my mind up

I had a set on my last van which I’ve just part chopped, The wear on them was staggering, Down at 4mm after 7k , A good tyre let down by the wear!!

I’m now torn between these and Agilis cross climate. I’ve still got 3000 miles left on my current set and can’t bear to waste them so plenty of time for me to make my mind up
im in the same boat, I know the agilis is a dedicated van tyre but the suv has sufficient weight rating. For all corners the agilis are about 200 pounds more expensive so im still pondering!

Back