New 20’s are my tyres the wrong size?

Oggywales

Hi, I’ve just took delivery of a set of 20inch Velare VLR08’a from vanstyle

i got the wheel and tyre package off the website and just assumed they would work (should have done more research really)

they are staggered 10 and 8.5 and have come with 275/40zR20 106y tyres

I was flicking through a few posts on here last night and I am now wondering if I have the right size tyres?
Any advice would be much appreciated before I try fit them

I have a T32 lowered on bilsteins and am worried that the tyres will be to wide?

Reactions: Jlo
275/40 is too big for the 8.5" fronts. If you want to keep the overall diameter the same, change the fronts for a 245/45. That's a better width for the 8.5" rim, load rated for a T32 and a very similar overall diameter to the rear tyres. The narrower width will help you avoid any rubbing.

Cheers,

Chris.

Reactions: Jlo
Brilliant thanks the confirmation Chris. Why do van style sell them with those tyres? Wish I had bought the rims only and sourced my own tyres as it looks like I have two brand new tyres which are the wrong size

Brilliant thanks the confirmation Chris. Why do van style sell them with those tyres? Wish I had bought the rims only and sourced my own tyres as it looks like I have two brand new tyres which are the wrong size
Nah, you have two new rears ready for next time!

Phoned van style, they seem to think the front tyres would be fine, in fairness said I could return them no problem although I’m not convinced

seen some p zeros in a 245/45 that I’ll probably get for the front and as JOG said keep the others as spares for the rears

Thanks for everyone’s comments

Phoned van style, they seem to think the front tyres would be fine, in fairness said I could return them no problem although I’m not convinced

seen some p zeros in a 245/45 that I’ll probably get for the front and as JOG said keep the others as spares for the rears

Thanks for everyone’s comments
Vanstyle aren't wrong as such to say they would be fine, those tyres aren't going to fail you and lead to an immediate accident, but they're not ideal on a wheel that is only 8.5" wide. The 275/40 is also pretty big on diameter, so it'll mean the speedo reading changes and the odometer is recording an inaccurate mileage. We're talking something like 5% difference from the standard size, so not major, but it's something they won't tell you.

In answer to the question of why do they fit them, well, the simple answer is money. The 275/40 is a standard RR size and as such is readily available from a massive number of manufacturers, including all the really, really cheap budget brands that you never even knew existed. This means that companies supplying wheel and tyre packages can keep their prices as low as possible and seem really attractive to the customer. It's a size that is load rated for all vans including T32, so it ticks a lot of boxes for some sellers.

I've seen vans come to the cave for lowering with 275/40 tyres fitted and even at only 45mm lowering they've rubbed on the inner arch liner on full lock, even at slow speeds without any compression of the suspension due to bumps etc. That's easy enough to solve when it's a small amount, but if you're lower than that they are highly likely to rub and may do so too much to be able to cure using the usual little mods. The 275/40 width and profile are just too big for lowered vans really.

A 265/40 is, generally speaking, a better size to fit, they're also load rated up to and including T32 vans, they are slightly closer to standard diameter, but the negative for some companies is that they're a more expensive size and there aren't so many really cheap budget options.

For staggered setups on a T32 though, there's not much wrong with fitting the 275/40 on the 10" rears and a 245/45 on the 8.5" fronts. The fronts are a similar diameter, but the narrower width helps to avoid rubbing problems, unless you start going really low. You're also still meeting the load rating requirements on the fronts with a 103 rating.

Cheers,

Chris.

Cheers for the in depth explanation Chris

might just try them then, the idea was to get a package and then on my next set of tyres get somthing more high quality than the budgets that’s come on the wheels

taking off my 17 davanports and was going to put some winter/swamper tyres on them, think I’ll have a good read of the threads on this forum before buying them:p

This has been an ongoing frustration of mine for the last ten years or so, why this size is fitted to Transporters!

Its been well answered above, and is purely and money led and availability that swings the big retailers into the 275/40.

Back