My Bed Conversion

mhill

Security industry
T6 Guru
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I have a 180 DSG T32 4motion panel van which has been converted to a Kombi with the adtion of x3 seats from Cotrim and a tool chest with 4 draws installed in the rear.

I wanted something like the Xplora Kombi bed so I could sleep over in the van and still use the seats and the tool chest, firstly the Xplora system wouldn't work for me and my set up and I wasn't prepared to pay the price. I can up with a crazy idea which we refined slightly comprising of a "goal post" screwed into the floor hook cups and a set of bed boards resting on the chest and bolted down into the goal post into rivnuts. Then a conventional 4ft mattress on top. I had wanted a set of custom foam pads but this was going to cost a lot of money in the region of £400 and I wasn't confident that they would stay in place after a bit it of fidgeting or of the level of comfort under my fat arse. So £60 memory foam mattress from eBay it was! It's actually really comfy though the mattress has a bit of a strange odor to it, I'm tempted to try a wash it but not sure how that will work or the after effects.

All in all it takes about 5 minutes to set up and I'm really pleased with it and even more so after a comfy nights sleep.

Got a list of a few bits I need add :-

Cab curtain for stealth & speed camp set up.
Side sliding window curtains.
Night heater.
Some form of head board on the tailgate ply lining slightly for comfort but more for pimp value and integrating a couple of lights and USB chargers.
Some way of locking the van from the rear (as per other thread)
Swivel Table on the B pillar.
Internal roof lighting, tempted to add some OEM lamps to keep the simattery and power them from the AUX battery.

Very nice. Looks ideal.

PS. Memory mattresses often smell horrible for first few days/weeks. Just air it.

Looks good and not a million miles away from what I am currently having made. Mine should be ready in a week or so.

What have you used as drawers under the bed?

They are a bit special and not quite of the shelf. They are a three point locking safe draw that we use to store keys in (though not when I'm camping) work out at around £700 a draw I think but they do a cheeper non locking type unit.
Have a look here, ‪JNL Order System Racking Systems | فيسبوك‬

Here's a couple of other pics, each draw has a weight limit of 150kgs so I'm going to make up a board to go on the two open draw to make a rear bench seat under the tailgate.

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

They are a bit special and not quite of the shelf. They are a three point locking safe draw that we use to store keys in (though not when I'm camping) work out at around £700 a draw I think but they do a cheeper non locking type unit.

Here's a couple of other pics, each draw has a weight limit of 150kgs so I'm going to make up a board to go on the two open draw to make a rear bench seat under the tailgate.

View attachment 4848

View attachment 4850
That bed looks comfy I wouldn't want to get out of it :rofl: nice touch with the tool draws m8 :thumbsup:

View attachment 4848

View attachment 4850
Thanks looks awesome!

Back