karl brierley

T6 Pro
Fitted a new motexion bulkhead today and wow what a difference it makes to the cab area. Freshens it up massively and makes it feel and look bigger. It also allows you to retract your drivers seat all the way back. So no more cramped driving positions. For people who need a bulkhead like me this is a must mod.

IMG_0933.JPG IMG_0934.JPG IMG_0936.JPG IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0938.PNG IMG_0939.PNG IMG_0940.PNG

throw the window cab pic :thumbsup:

IMG_0931.JPG

Hi there

Just purchased the same bulkhead but having difficulty seeing how they are fitted with the remaining brackets/spot welded angle section that remains after removing the factory steel bulkhead.

Did you have any issues?

Hi. I was told that these only fit kombi vans. Vw told me that it's not possible to fit on my panel van with 2 sliding doors. I really really want one though. I'm so cramped driving.

Also, where did you buy it from?

Hi. I was told that these only fit kombi vans. Vw told me that it's not possible to fit on my panel van with 2 sliding doors. I really really want one though. I'm so cramped driving.

Also, where did you buy it from?
Well, I had a similar experience from VW also, however I was told otherwise by motexion...

I collected my van last week from VW and did not like the driving position. I asked about the plastic (motexion) bulkheads and if I could hold of one. The response was ‘sometimes they fit the plastic, sometimes they fit the steel’...

Not being convinced, I made a call to motexion with reference to a bulkhead (without window) to fit a single sliding door panel van. There response was ‘speak to your VW dealer and order ZGB7HB017 232

Order went through fine and cost about £298+ VAT. There was an option to have for £425 +VAT fittted but I thought I would save the pennies and fit myself.

Get the van home and remove factory bulkhead. Trial fit and line up the motexion, and it was immediately clear that these bulkheads are designed to be installed to panel vans that have NOT had the factory bulkhead fitted prior.

So yesterday I set about stripping the seats, b pillars and flooring to allow me to cut away the bracket, grind the welds and paint exposed areas for protection. The top brackets simply unbolted (I’m sure you are all aware of this already)

Today I shall be drilling the new holes down the b pillars to allow the supplied screws to secure the bulkhead. I will be using the existing fixings for the top half (formerly where the brackets were secured)

There is no fixing points on the floor. In my opinion these are not required due to the nature of the interference fit of the bulkhead.

If this had been of any interest, I am happy to help out any panel van guys moving forwards.

Cheers

Karl

Quick update - I have now finally fitted the bulkhead.

A few points to notice when fitting...

1. The bulkhead is a very snug (yet flexible) which can be difficult on your own.

2. If located flush with the b pillars (looking in through the side door) the bulkhead will foul on the b pillar trim clips. You can either trim these areas or simply knock it back a few mm and live with a ‘step’ in the load bay.

3. The supplied fixings (screws) used to secure the roof section will ever so slightly raise the joining trim that runs along the edge of the roof lining.

All in all the space gained is a huge difference and well worth the effort if you require a bulkhead. The seats can now be adjusted to their full length with enough room to recline the back more than enough for any driver.

If you are looking to spec a van like this - do not order a bulkhead as this will save you a lot of work and will make figment of the motexion a lot easier.

39470F72-807C-4993-A3D2-60C075BDFAFD.jpeg

74A7E0E5-51B9-424C-9ABE-C03930B352A8.jpeg

Thanks karlos! Much more information than I could find anywhere else. Makes much sense and answered most of my questions......

It seems like a lot of work, and am a bit reluctant taking a grinder to my brand new van. Did you get the quote from vw to fit for £425 plus vat. Do you think they would do all the grinding and drilling etc for this price?

So is the space increase enough to push the drives seat all the way back AND recline? How much distance between the passanger seats and the new bulkhead?

Einion

Before and after pics.

Approx ‘depth’ of a motexion is 6.5inches. The seat can now be adjusted fully to the rear and also reclined to a comfortable position.

The factory bulkhead was 3inches (however the bottom was not inclined so restricted the full range further.

VW quoted £425 fitted but I am certain they would not have achieved fitment. That price I can now confirm is for fitting to a van WITHOUT a factory fitted bulkead. You can try your luck, but I wouldn’t like you to fall short with a hefty bill.

I’m sure many camper conversion people on here can give better advice on the grinding etc. It is daunting, as I have only owned the van a week since new also. I chose to very carefully (a lot more time consuming) grind the spot welds only with a dremel for minimum risk and disturbance. Quick coat of hammerite on the exposed areas and your ready to go. All the trains and seats come out very easily.

A further note - I spec’d the rubber floor in both load and cab area. This does leave a tiny gap in the extreme lower corners behind the seats. I plan to carpet the bulkead (not available to purchase a trimmed version without a window, only with) so this will be covered.

Hope this helps out some of you guys as I really struggled to find the info.

9E3868D9-4F26-4627-AB31-20E868716CCF.jpeg

299D02F6-548D-4680-8390-00536C0924D2.jpeg

B906EFAF-F323-4385-A19F-52563C9B7B7A.jpeg

When the seat is fully back how much extra do you gain over original bulkhead ?? roughly I am 6ft 6 inches the seat is killing me I am not loving the seat position at all is so uncomfortable

When the seat is fully back how much extra do you gain over original bulkhead ?? roughly I am 6ft 6 inches the seat is killing me I am not loving the seat position at all is so uncomfortable

It is quite considerable. I am
Only 6ft 1 and struggled with factory bulkhead.

With the steel bulkhead, I found if the seat base was fully retracted, then the seat back was not able to be adjusted to a useable angle.

With the motexion, fully retracted you now get approximately ‘the seats backs depth’ (approx 4-5’’) further recline. This does not sound like a lot (this is visible in the photos on the top part of the seat under the headrest) however the difference in comfort which I appreciate is personal taste and requirement is worlds apart around the lumbar area.

Apologies if this is a cryptic nightmare - it’s quite hard to explain

No it makes perfect sense and 4-5 inches would be great,I am going to remove the bulk head for now,kinda regretting buying the T6 alot to live with for the cost of them

No it makes perfect sense and 4-5 inches would be great,I am going to remove the bulk head for now,kinda regretting buying the T6 alot to live with for the cost of them
If it helps, I was the same at the very beginning. I had not test driven one with a bulkhead fitted before purchase. I made the 4.5hr drive from home to Manchester last night and I got out the other end (without stopping for a break) with no aches and pains like I did in my caddy (bulkhead also fitted)

If it helps, I was the same at the very beginning. I had not test driven one with a bulkhead fitted before purchase. I made the 4.5hr drive from home to Manchester last night and I got out the other end (without stopping for a break) with no aches and pains like I did in my caddy (bulkhead also fitted)

how are you finding it compared to the caddy? I’m considering changing

1. The bulkhead is a very snug (yet flexible) which can be difficult on your own.

2. If located flush with the b pillars (looking in through the side door) the bulkhead will foul on the b pillar trim clips. You can either trim these areas or simply knock it back a few mm and live with a ‘step’ in the load bay.

3. The supplied fixings (screws) used to secure the roof section will ever so slightly raise the joining trim that runs along the edge of the roof lining.

All in all the space gained is a huge difference and well worth the effort if you require a bulkhead. The seats can now be adjusted to their full length with enough room to recline the back more than enough for any driver.

If you are looking to spec a van like this - do not order a bulkhead as this will save you a lot of work and will make figment of the motexion a lot easier.

View attachment 32243

View attachment 32244
Im about to order one of these for my 6.1 with the order code posted above, do you know if it’ll fit a twin slide loading door?
Thank you!

Hi all, I have this bulkhead fitted. I ordered as above but VW messed up and the van came with a metal bulkhead. They honoured the price though and did the grinding and fitting for me. It’s not 100% perfect but fits reasonably (a little squeaky and loose in parts) and gives the extra room which was the main issue for me. If I were to do again I’d fit myself or get a proper mechanic/ bodyshop to do it. I’m not sure why VW are so poor at this stuff..

Hi all, I have this bulkhead fitted. I ordered as above but VW messed up and the van came with a metal bulkhead. They honoured the price though and did the grinding and fitting for me. It’s not 100% perfect but fits reasonably (a little squeaky and loose in parts) and gives the extra room which was the main issue for me. If I were to do again I’d fit myself or get a proper mechanic/ bodyshop to do it. I’m not sure why VW are so poor at this stuff..

I've ordered a 6.1 van without a factory bulkhead and plan to get the dealer to fit a motexion one, would you recommend i fit it myself instead?
Cheers

Well, I had a similar experience from VW also, however I was told otherwise by motexion...

I collected my van last week from VW and did not like the driving position. I asked about the plastic (motexion) bulkheads and if I could hold of one. The response was ‘sometimes they fit the plastic, sometimes they fit the steel’...

Not being convinced, I made a call to motexion with reference to a bulkhead (without window) to fit a single sliding door panel van. There response was ‘speak to your VW dealer and order ZGB7HB017 232

Order went through fine and cost about £298+ VAT. There was an option to have for £425 +VAT fittted but I thought I would save the pennies and fit myself.

Get the van home and remove factory bulkhead. Trial fit and line up the motexion, and it was immediately clear that these bulkheads are designed to be installed to panel vans that have NOT had the factory bulkhead fitted prior.

So yesterday I set about stripping the seats, b pillars and flooring to allow me to cut away the bracket, grind the welds and paint exposed areas for protection. The top brackets simply unbolted (I’m sure you are all aware of this already)

Today I shall be drilling the new holes down the b pillars to allow the supplied screws to secure the bulkhead. I will be using the existing fixings for the top half (formerly where the brackets were secured)

There is no fixing points on the floor. In my opinion these are not required due to the nature of the interference fit of the bulkhead.

If this had been of any interest, I am happy to help out any panel van guys moving forwards.

Cheers

Karl
Do you know how i would go about getting the code to give to VW for a twin sliding door bulkhead? Cheers

Be Aware: if you order a van without the factory bulkhead, you must have Swivel seats. If you have Swivel seats, you cannot specify height adjust or lumbar support! Good old VW!

View attachment 32243

View attachment 32244
Your help please!! Any idea where I can get a code for the twin side loading door? My dealer can’t seem to find one. Thank you

Your help please!!
I ordered my new panel van without a bulkhead with the thought of putting a motexion bulkhead in so I’d have more leg room, my dealer now can’t find a motexion one anywhere and neither can I. Does anyone have an idea of where I could get one or the next best thing?
Cheers

Back