MOT failure - rearview mirror a warning!

racT6bus

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Just a word of warning which will hopefully prevent others from having the same issue.

My T6 (T32, Class 7) was fine on the MOT no advisories but failed as I don't have a rearview mirror in place!

I put privacy glass in the tailgate (it had no glass before) and I can barely see out of the back with rear seats and bike rack obscuring everything, so hadn't even thought about it - I also have a reversing camera. Turns out the law changed in Jan and if you have glass in the back you have to have a mirror regardless - either that or a rear camera with screen that is permanently on!

Obligatory mirror missing central [3.3 {a}]

Hopefully, this doesn't catch anyone else out - seems a bit ridiculous to me!

Mine was a panel van with a 'solid' tailgate and the glass was retrofitted as part of the conversion - on that basis, I really can't understand why it came out of the factory with a rear view mirror but apparently it did. VW missed a golden chance for cost cutting there.

the rear mirror has the auto wiper sensor and auto headlight sensor,

so if you have any of these systems on the van you will get the mirror.

++++

vw also liked to bundle upgrades together.. . .

for example the vision pack with auto wipers and headlight washers etc etc . . .

So a panel van converted to a 'kombi' needs a rear view mirror.... Mine passed without. Reversing camera not on permanently.

To muddy the waters slightly on this one - I've just asked an MOT tester who told me as long as both wing mirrors are present it doesn't need an interior one.

I think like many MOT criteria it’s a case of if it’s there it has to function correctly.

Not many people know If you go to gov.uk website the mot testing manual is there for anyone to read, it's the same manual all testing stations refer to if needed and keep up to date with changes to testing. It might be worth a look and see if the refusal (VT30) has been issued correctly against your vehicle.

You could appeal it If you feel it does not apply to you vehicle but this takes time and another test fee. You will need to download a VT17 form from gov.uk

I would do what Mike Dean suggests and get yourself a cheap suction mirror from Halfords, as thar particular refusal item falls into free retest by the end of the next working day (Monday)

Hope this helps.

Hmm, strange how you got failed. Your van is a goods vehicle, so as per what Tenchu says it only requires a view down the near and offsides of the vehicle. This can be cameras or mirrors as per the MOT manual MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - 3. Visibility - Guidance - GOV.UK

I'm a tester myself, and yes the criteria did change recently. However, me reading the manual I would pass the vehicle. It clearly states that goods vehicles only require side view. Not internal view to rear. But, as per MOT testing there can be grey areas. This might be one of them!

If the van has been tested as Class 7, then they should have applied the below criteria. Looks pretty clear cut to me, I think you need to take this up with the tester.

Rear view mirrors and indirect vision devices can be any of the following positions:

1. a. an exterior mirror or device that provides a view along the offside of the vehicle
  2. b. an exterior mirror or device that provides a view along the nearside of the vehicle
  3. c. an interior mirror or device which provides a view to the rear of the vehicle
Goods vehiclesFirst used on or after 26 January 2010Two mirrors/devices, in position ‘a’ and ‘b’

How would you see through the van to rear if it was fully loaded?

The tester seemed pretty genuine (fellow Transporter owner) and whilst he made a point of bringing it up, he was fine with my THQ headlights with the LED bulbs - which I know some have had issues with. He also said I don't need a Class 7 despite it being a T32, as it not commercial (even though the V5 hasn’t changed) and the fact it’s converted to day van/camper in the back with a row of seats.

Found a mirror with dip for £16 on Amazon that fits the factory clip that's already on my screen. Fits on and comes off easily enough, will just remove it once it's been retested as it's next to useless, can just about see my bike rack - TBH having the mirror fitted obscures my forward view more!!

For £16 and free retest, it's no drama - just inconvenient.

My take on this is how it is decided if it is a goods vehicle or passenger vehicle. My thoughts are if it has been converted, with windows and rear seats then it is a passenger vehicle. Therefore it would beed 3 rear view mirrors.
I suppose the definition of each vehicle need to be clarified.

Does your van have permanently fitted sink, bed cooking facilities?? If it does, then it should be tested as a class 4 and not a goods vehicle and would then require the internal rear view mirror. So technically it's been tested as the wrong class, so do not name the garage! As for the led bulbs, that should be a fail.

Reactions: DXX
Back