Road and wind noise too high even after sound deadening

I think noise on a transporter is just something that has to be put up with, my t6 is sound deadend and insulated to the hilt and converted camper so its carrying weight and is so friggin noisy, it really pisses me off, I think its more noticeable to me since my daily is a 45k luxury car with no noise at all, then I get in the T6 and sounds shit, I even put a new set of 17" Devonports back on, they did reduce it a fair bit after removing the 20"s and drives better.
I partially agree with you.

A transporter is not going to match a well-built car, but massive improvements can be made.

Prior to conversion (+ sound deadening, etc), my T6 was unbearable. Conversations, phone calls, listening to radio, … all hindered significantly by road/wind noise and rattles.

I’ve done quite a lot of sound deadening, but haven’t done the full extend others have, and I’m fully pleased with this aspect of my driving experience.

The quietness of the cab is very comfortable - near to my Golf - and I can make calls, etc without the difficulties I had when it was a panel van.

my next to do was to get a pre 2017 exhaust or california exhaust, the 2017 onwards kombi or commercial van exhaust exits in the centre of the van which could be another reason for noise. exit at the rear of the van should be better

I run music rehearsal rooms and when designing the room we use the analogy that it's like a musical submarine. I.e. there's no point having 2 foot thick concrete walls with absorbant panels and having a £30 door with gaps round the edges to let the noise in/out. I need to stop the rock band in room 1, impacting the recorder ensemble in room 2, and I've used this principle when sound deadening my van.
The cab and 2nd row floor, front doors and wheel arches have a dynamat type covering. Class o foam behind the door panels and A and B pillars and below the front and rear plastic steps (as thick as each panel will allow). Dacron above the cab roof panel.
It's not Audi A8 levels of quiet, but still very comfortable now and in my opinion, if you want it really quiet, you will have to do things like remove the drivers plastic step, fill all the gaps underneath with 50mm class o (takes a while and is a pain) but if you dynamat the floor and don't do this, you've still got a lot of just plastic and metal between you and the road.
Hope this helps.

Where I work 85db+ is the minimum level for ear defenders :) shouldn’t be that loud in there surely

It's getting late and I've just had a quick brief of this thread. Have you tried the "sounds like a golf door seals?" I did mine expecting the door close to sound better, it does, but the cabin is also much quieter. Cheap and easy fix that will be a benefit even if it doesn't completely fix your primary problem.

It's getting late and I've just had a quick brief of this thread. Have you tried the "sounds like a golf door seals?" I did mine expecting the door close to sound better, it does, but the cabin is also much quieter. Cheap and easy fix that will be a benefit even if it doesn't completely fix your primary problem.
I bought my due seal kit from here: Door Seal Upgrade

@DXX recommends soundproofing the skuttle under the windscreen. (It does require removal of the wipers to get proper access)

Is this an easy job?

Fed up with the noise in my T6 - 350 miles down the M6 & M5 a few months back was really unpleasent.

@DXX recommends soundproofing the skuttle under the windscreen. (It does require removal of the wipers to get proper access)
Agreed as this does make a difference, it is a fiddly task but the reduction in noise makes it well worth it.

Guys - after getting lots of advice and help from the forum on soundproofing , deadening and insulation of my T6.1 I just wanted to share my feedback regarding the install of MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) to the floor of my T6.1

Having just completed the final stage on my soundproofing / deadening on my Kombi 4motion (no bulkhead fitted) - what a difference the final stage was .... I fitted MLV to the whole of the floor and simply laid it under the VW factory rubber flooring using the rear rubber mat to template the MLV

I laid Two Layer MLV Barrier PeaceMAT XX 1.2mm MLV Rubber Barrier Layer with 6mm CCF decoupler layer on the floor of my kombi (I looked at Dodo , but I actually found a nice deal from an carinsulation.co.uk and saved a small fortune.)

TBF I only went for the cheaper alternative as I just really wanted to give it a try and didn't want to waste money if it didn't help with the noise reduction

Wow is all I can say ... I honestly didn't think it would improve the driving pleasure, if you've done everything else on the forums and you are thinking should I try MLV all I can say is I'm really please I did and seriously bang for buck I'd highly recommend if you what to reduce the rolling dull noise you get with no bulkhead.

I did a dB road test after laying the MLV both with both standard Devonports which have van contact contis and my rhinos shod with BFGs - there was almost no difference in dB at 40mph with the BFGs on the same road it may be that the BFGs offer more damping.

I'm over the moon because before I laid the MLV I was adamant I was going to swop out the BFGs for a quieter tyre - but now there's no need the reduction in dB is pretty impressive , I can now have a conversation even at speed and no longer have to sell the BFGs which I love the look of ;)

Guys - after getting lots of advice and help from the forum on soundproofing , deadening and insulation of my T6.1 I just wanted to share my feedback regarding the install of MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) to the floor of my T6.1

Having just completed the final stage on my soundproofing / deadening on my Kombi 4motion (no bulkhead fitted) - what a difference the final stage was .... I fitted MLV to the whole of the floor and simply laid it under the VW factory rubber flooring using the rear rubber mat to template the MLV

I laid Two Layer MLV Barrier PeaceMAT XX 1.2mm MLV Rubber Barrier Layer with 6mm CCF decoupler layer on the floor of my kombi (I looked at Dodo , but I actually found a nice deal from an carinsulation.co.uk and saved a small fortune.)

TBF I only went for the cheaper alternative as I just really wanted to give it a try and didn't want to waste money if it didn't help with the noise reduction

Wow is all I can say ... I honestly didn't think it would improve the driving pleasure, if you've done everything else on the forums and you are thinking should I try MLV all I can say is I'm really please I did and seriously bang for buck I'd highly recommend if you what to reduce the rolling dull noise you get with no bulkhead.

I did a dB road test after laying the MLV both with both standard Devonports which have van contact contis and my rhinos shod with BFGs - there was almost no difference in dB at 40mph with the BFGs on the same road it may be that the BFGs offer more damping.

I'm over the moon because before I laid the MLV I was adamant I was going to swop out the BFGs for a quieter tyre - but now there's no need the reduction in dB is pretty impressive , I can now have a conversation even at speed and no longer have to sell the BFGs which I love the look of ;)
Glad your work paid off.... I would be interested in what your dB readings were , if you can recall.
I would like to compare yours with mine , if possible.
Cheers.

I sound deadened and carpeted the bulkhead. Only thing I have done so far and that made a huge difference.

Glad your work paid off.... I would be interested in what your dB readings were , if you can recall.
I would like to compare yours with mine , if possible.
Cheers.
Graham - the Min 47dB , Avg 70dB and Max 84dB - its a rough tarmaced road which is downhill so the DSG gearbox is causing the engine to brake I - I chose a road I travel most frequently - the Kombi has reat seats removed to its a empty void ;)

As a side note I drove the same road last night in our TT - and I was shocked that the Avg was 77dBs and Max 95dBs - guess thats the sports suspension and lover profile 19" tyres:eek:

Left pic shows 17" BFGs after MLV Right pic shows Devonports with Conti Van Contact

Hope its useful info for youBFGs 40mph on B Road with MLV installed Sound Meter.jpgDevonports 40mph on B Road before MLV installed.jpg

Graham - the Min 47dB , Avg 70dB and Max 84dB - its a rough tarmaced road which is downhill so the DSG gearbox is causing the engine to brake I - I chose a road I travel most frequently - the Kombi has reat seats removed to its a empty void ;)

As a side note I drove the same road last night in our TT - and I was shocked that the Avg was 77dBs and Max 95dBs - guess thats the sports suspension and lover profile 19" tyres:eek:

Left pic shows 17" BFGs after MLV Right pic shows Devonports with Conti Van Contact

Hope its useful info for youView attachment 168578View attachment 168579

Hope its useful info for youView attachment 168578View attachment 168579
Thanks Garry...great info for me to compare....will do a bit of experimenting over the weekend.

Back