Modifying under bed access door

Frazman

Caledonian Camper Conversion
Hi everyone,

Been using the forum for a long time and always finding helpful info and suggestions, so thought I’d put this one out there.

I have a Caledonian conversion which came with a Blade 2 bed. Due to the beds design the storage underneath it could be better, but is restricted further by the small access openings at the front, consisting of a facade wooden panel containing 2 small access doors.

What I would like to do is modify the facade board so that it keeps its appearance but is completely removable, or re-hinged so that it can fold down fully.

Has anybody else had a similar issue with their vans and made any modifications?

Thanks,

Fraz3E85A30E-9268-46C3-B7AC-97893161F31C.jpeg

Couldn’t you just cut where shown and glue the removed section between the doors to make one big door ?

87A15E4F-43A5-4E95-9E49-8EA7ED0107EC.jpeg

You could consider neodymium magnets on the back face but anything heavy may push the board off under sharp braking

Quite like the magnet idea, it’d at least keep it looking smart and tidy and not require any major modification. Will look into it.

Can you not get a hold of some of the same finish wood and just make a new double door from scratch (but bigger doors than existing). Use a channel cutter to allow knock on edging to be fitted and it will look like it was part of the original Conversion

I've been thinking in this area myself. for me, i want to get my hands on a 3d printer and come up with some clips.
I'm channeling the plinth clips in the kitchen at home, that hold the plinth onto the unit legs.
My design will screw to the back of the wood facia, be a squareish clip that goes round the bed frame/legs, releases easy for removal and packing.

i think we'd probably go on a trip without the facia, front and back, then put them back on when its a day van.

Last edited:
I've been thinking in this area myself. for me, i want to get my hands on a 3d printer and come up with some clips.
I'm channeling the plinth clips in the kitchen at home, that hold the plinth onto the unit legs.
My design will screw to the back of the wood facia, be a squareish clip that goes round the bed frame/legs, releases easy for removal and packing.

i think we'd probably go on a trip without the facia, front and back, then put them back on when its a day van.
I have seen a Youtube review of someone's van and noticed their set up had exactly this. The plinth clips were metal, so certainly robust enough. If I ever find it again I'll add the link to the thread.

I have seen a Youtube review of someone's van and noticed their set up had exactly this. The plinth clips were metal, so certainly robust enough. If I ever find it again I'll add the link to the thread.
i'd love to see that. the printer has arrived so im only a few lessons in CAD away from my prototypes.

Back