Wireless Android Auto Multivan June 2021

David Multivan

Hello friends, good morning.

I am writing to you because I have a friend with a T6 Multivan from June 2021, and we are a bit frustrated because we cannot get wireless Android Auto.

I think the Infotainment system is a Discovery Media, and data are:

uQrVr5U__AOlr5_s2-ZppXIU=w1388-h1041-no?authuser=1.jpg

It doesn't have Wifi, and wired Android Auto works perfectly, but we want it wireless.

We have tested with 2 Amazon dongles (https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0BK1GFXBR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details and https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0BHYVLPBF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details), and They connect well to the Smartphone but when it starts to communicate with the screen, "USB reading error" appears, and the screen restarts. The connections we use are 2 USB-C that are in the center console, next to the cigarette lighter socket.

I ask you some questions:

- Has anyone with the same car model and the same screen managed to have Android Auto Wireless? how?

- I have found a software update called EUR_9PR085_FCT3WS-22105_Offline_Update, and I was planning to put it on a pen-drive to update it, do you think this problem could be solved? Is this update only navigation maps or does it bring something else?

- I also thought that it could be because the dongle that we have tested does not connect directly to the USB-C sockets, they come with a USB-A connection and a USB-A to USB-C adapter, but to rule this out I have tried 2 adapters different and we still have the same problem. If I buy a USB-C direct cable dongle, will it work?

- The last option we are considering is to go to an official Volkswagen workshop and ask them, because perhaps Discovery Media only supports Smartphone devices and any dongle that connects to it would reject it... Because a wired Smartphone works fine.

Could I continue testing with a dongle that you recommend on Amazon and make sure it works, do you have a link to take a look?

I greatly appreciate your help, I'm sure someone with this problem has managed to solve it.

Greetings.

Last edited:
There seems to be exactly the same units with newer software version (0890 vs. 0920). However, I don't know if the update would resolve your issue.

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794)
Part No SW: 3CN 035 869 A HW: 3CN 035 869 A
Component: MU-E-D-ER 720 0890
Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794)
Part No SW: 3CN 035 869 A HW: 3CN 035 869 A
Component: MU-E-D-ER 720 0920

That part number pulls up a picture of the basic head unit. Composition media.
Don't think that has WiFi built in to enable wireless car play etc.
Needs to be MIB3 to have it as factory without a dongle

That part number pulls up a picture of the basic head unit. Composition media.
Don't think that has WiFi built in to enable wireless car play etc.
Needs to be MIB3 to have it as factory without a dongle
Hello Paul.

Our goal is not to connect it directly wirelessly to the OEM screen, I suppose that it will probably be necessary hardware or a different screen, or, in the best case and if it has the necessary hardware, that they activate it from the official dealer, and it is too much cost and time.

What we want is to connect an external dongle and have it work...

Is this possible or do we have to forget about this option?

Thanks a lot

Hi Deaky, thanks for the link.

Do you have the same Infotainment system as us?

Do you connect it to the USB-C sockets in the center console?
No. I have a 2018 Discover Media just USB A

I've just had a software update on mine which enabled wireless AA but mine is an MY20 Discover media MIB3 didn't have it to start but the updated software enabled it.
By the sound of it, a dongle is your only way forward.

Hi - I've got the factory for touchscreen standard stereo with the android connecting via the usb socket in the glovebox - will that dongle mean I don't need to plug it in?

My phone's usb socket has gone a bit loose over time and now it can't always hold the cable in which means it disconnects from time to time which is annoying when you're trying to navigate and usually at a critical juncture cueing a basil Fawlty rant

hi android auto needs 2 things a 5g enabled phone and carlink 4 dongle to work,it doesnt work without a dongle ,trust me i have been down this road,i believe apple car play works but i dont have an apple device to check,pretty poor really considering its one of its selling points,on another note does anyone know how to switch off the safety feature that you cant watch films when driving?realise why they do it but my boy likes to watch films on a long drive and yes he could use an ipad before itsa suggested

hi android auto needs 2 things a 5g enabled phone and carlink 4 dongle to work,it doesnt work without a dongle ,trust me i have been down this road,i believe apple car play works but i dont have an apple device to check,pretty poor really considering its one of its selling points,on another note does anyone know how to switch off the safety feature that you cant watch films when driving?realise why they do it but my boy likes to watch films on a long drive and yes he could use an ipad before itsa suggested
Hi Kohnny, thank you very much for your answer. It has given me some hope, could you confirm that if I buy a Carlink 4 it will work for me? which model should i buy? do you have any link? Thank you very much for your help

From what I've seen on YouTube and read online the carlink 4 is the thing you/ I want - there are some people who say that the audio quality is diminished a little and others have reported that there are connection issues but with any system involving multiple varied components it could be the phone each person uses that's the issue

I'm going to take the plunge but will probably go with Amazon purely because the returns process is the best overall - in case I don't like the way it works

Just checked and it's £75 today (with £5 voucher it's offering me) which is the cheapest I've seen it (they're buggers for moving the price around)

Ok I've ordered one and due tomorrow - so what if the gas bill was double what it was last year :speechless:

Last edited:
So it turned up and not impressed with the quality, the usb socket is a little loose so it didn't power up immediately, then when I had powered it up, nothing doing

On the whole I thought it was poor quality for the money and am returning to Amazon tomorrow

Back