Manifold Moneypit - Help next steps?

Wethree

I have a beautiful T6 2016 Shuttle 150ps EGR. Unfortunately, since August 2021, there has been a problem with the inlet manifold. VW centre currently has the van (4weeks+ for this visit) but still not able to identify a solution to fix the van. This visit is currently up to 7 hours of investigations and diagnostics but there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel. Thousands of pounds have been spent in the last few months but the van is still unusable and in limp mode.

The inlet manifold has been replaced 3 times since August 2021.

August 2021:1st manifold replaced (100k mileage)
May 2022: 2nd under VW warranty (106k mileage)
April 2023: 3rd under VW warranty (111k mileage)

The van worked fine for the first 8 months. However, since April 2022, the van has been back and forwards to two different VW centres and an independent garage. It's been in limp mode since April 2023, despite a 3rd manifold being fitted, and has subsequently not been used (except to travel to and from the garage).

Since April 2022 to date, the EGR and DPF valves, air charge cooler, turbocharger, and pressure converter have all been replaced and thousands of pounds spent. There is no more money left to throw at the problem (and no one seems to know what the problem is to fix it).

Any recommendations on what I should do next? It's still at VW, MOT expires on Friday, do I leave it there? collect it? how would I sell it not working?

Without going into the details of the repair I would guess that any mechanic replacing the same part three times in quick succession isn’t up to the job.
Take your van elsewhere.
If you can post a full diagnostics scan on the Forum there are some sharp minds who can help.

Each manifold has been replaced by three different mechanics, at three different garages. First an independent. Because of the VW warranty, the last 2 manifolds have been at 2 different VW centres.

I have a beautiful T6 2016 Shuttle 150ps EGR. Unfortunately, since August 2021, there has been a problem with the inlet manifold. VW centre currently has the van (4weeks+ for this visit) but still not able to identify a solution to fix the van. This visit is currently up to 7 hours of investigations and diagnostics but there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel. Thousands of pounds have been spent in the last few months but the van is still unusable and in limp mode.

The inlet manifold has been replaced 3 times since August 2021.

August 2021:1st manifold replaced (100k mileage)
May 2022: 2nd under VW warranty (106k mileage)
April 2023: 3rd under VW warranty (111k mileage)

The van worked fine for the first 8 months. However, since April 2022, the van has been back and forwards to two different VW centres and an independent garage. It's been in limp mode since April 2023, despite a 3rd manifold being fitted, and has subsequently not been used (except to travel to and from the garage).

Since April 2022 to date, the EGR and DPF valves, air charge cooler, turbocharger, and pressure converter have all been replaced and thousands of pounds spent. There is no more money left to throw at the problem (and no one seems to know what the problem is to fix it).

Any recommendations on what I should do next? It's still at VW, MOT expires on Friday, do I leave it there? collect it? how would I sell it not working?
Sounds very painful.
Mine has recently had dpf, and now turbo issues @ near 120k miles
Whats your location ? maybe someone could reccomend a local indi

Hi weethree, did you get anywhere with this problem, my t6 has just come up with the same problem 2500 miles after a replacement manifold, went into limp but turned it off, back on again and now the fault code comes up, was thinking an additive to try to clean soot out but that’s the best I’ve got till vw can book it in

T6 150 Manual

102k - Limp mode, flashing coil and error message intake manifold runner stuck closed. Inlet manifold replaced, genuine parts inc. position sensor and vacuum actuator

103k - EML lights up, intake manifold runner stuck open. no limp mode. Van back in garage again.

I'm convinced its electrical, broken plug/frayed wire somewhere. Doesn't seem like faulty part if you replace the entire system! Have you had your fault codes read or read them yourself?

Last edited:
ex
T6 150 Manual

102k - Limp mode, flashing coil and error message intake manifold runner stuck closed. Inlet manifold replaced, genuine parts inc. position sensor and vacuum actuator

103k - EML lights up, intake manifold runner stuck open. no limp mode. Van back in garage again.

I'm convinced its electrical, broken plug/frayed wire somewhere. Doesn't seem like faulty part if you replace the entire system! Have you had your fault codes read or read them yourself?
had my local garage check, p200 600,
Mines a t6 204 auto,
First time round vw said it was the sensor (local garage said could the inlet manifold)
Vw replaced sensor, said all fixed, two days later same coil and engine management light came back on, took it back and then vw said got to replace the inlet manifold , replaced dec 22 then only done 2500 till now as got the part conversion done ready for this year !!
Local garage concerned maybe the system wasn’t cleaned properly before the new parts were put in , is yours still playing up ?

T6 150 Manual

Update, loom tested and inspected and all vacuum hoses checked. Only part which wasn't replaced earlier was the solenoid.. replacing that today and hopefully we're all good.

Update, loom tested and inspected and all vacuum hoses checked. Only part which wasn't replaced earlier was the solenoid.. replacing that today and hopefully we're all good.

Solinoid seems to have fixed fault. 600 miles yesterday, no EML

Finally got into vw, they inspected, checked and traced it to a blown fuse, got back home, next day light back on, got to go back but getting hold of Yeomans Exeter is a nightmare, might mention the solenoid ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeomans Van Centre at Indian Queens is a joke as well. Terrible customer service.
Oh yes, I took my van there on it’s last pre-paid service that it came with when I bought it second hand.
When I got home I checked the engine oil and it was 0.5L over the max’ on the dipstick. Either they didn’t drain it correctly or they filled too much oil.
Either way the dipstick wasn’t checked by the ‘mechanic’.

Oh yes, I took my van there on it’s last pre-paid service that it came with when I bought it second hand.
When I got home I checked the engine oil and it was 0.5L over the max’ on the dipstick. Either they didn’t drain it correctly or they filled too much oil.
Either way the dipstick wasn’t checked by the ‘mechanic’.

Shame as Yeomans Helston, formerly Helston Garages VW have been brilliant when I had my nearly new Golf GTi

Back