Main battery isolation switch

davidwheeler

My main battery also goes flat if I leave the van for about 10 days. I read that locking the van mechanically rather than electronically will disable a couple of the security scanning programs which must reduce the drain but I also wonder if I should simply fit a battery isloation switch and thus stop all drainage. This locks the doors but the mechanical key can still open driver's and back doors. I will have to reset the clock of course but will there be any other disadvantage? The alternative is to fit an intelligent charger permanently wired to the battery and wired into the mains lead and just top it up from time to time but this is a bit of a fag (though useful if camping).

I think disconnecting the battery on a regular basis will give you all kinds of weird effects, including a load of dashboard warning lights of various kinds.

Going flat in 10 days isn’t normal so I’d try and identify the underlying issue which can basically be a duff battery (is it a moll?), or some undue drain on it.

If you disable the anti-theft devices you almost certainly won’t be insured.

Have you measured the current being drawn when the van is shut down and locked ?
And how old is your battery ?

Pete

My main battery also goes flat if I leave the van for about 10 days. I read that locking the van mechanically rather than electronically will disable a couple of the security scanning programs which must reduce the drain but I also wonder if I should simply fit a battery isloation switch and thus stop all drainage. This locks the doors but the mechanical key can still open driver's and back doors. I will have to reset the clock of course but will there be any other disadvantage? The alternative is to fit an intelligent charger permanently wired to the battery and wired into the mains lead and just top it up from time to time but this is a bit of a fag (though useful if camping).
It sounds like you’ll benefit from having electric hook-up as an option, so that ses like the more sensible plan.
A few on here have placed the MCB & RCB inside the engine bay with the battery charger being sited in the scuttle panel - great solution if you don’t want too much kit inside the van.

It is a new battery. The only way to stop all drain from security is not to lock up at all - reasonable in my isolated homestead but not anywhere else. I shall fit a charger under the bonnet and connect it to the amenity mains cable ossibly through a lug and socket rather than permanently. I shall measure the drain and report back.

Back