Lowered T6.1 on standard dampers

Ralpher

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi again, I've lowered my T6.1 by 65mm (Eibach springs) which is much nicer to behold and makes the vehicle a lot less like a pissed hippo in corners. I have 20 inch wheels with low profile tyres which also help in this regard. I'm running standard dampers at present and wonder whether it's worth the expense of installing new ones (van is only 1 year old so the stock dampers are still working as intended).
If you think it is worth spending (even more) money on new dampers, do you have any suggestions please?

When answering the above, please bear in mind that I'm already on my second marriage and would quite like to stay with this onem so please don't suggest I spend her Christmas present money on a £5k air suspension kit! :D

As @dubber36 has said your standard dampers aren't working within the range they were designed for . We stopped fitting springs to standard suspension many years ago for this reason. There are many after market options available - I see you are in Hampshire, so not too far away - We have demo vehicles with different setups, so you can come and have a go. We stock 4 different coilover options, which we find work the best, so you can set your height how you want it. The right suspension will be the best money you spend on your van - So not only will it look good, but drive so much better afterwards, noticeable by both you and your passengers.

Always happy for a chat if you send your contact details :)

Thanks for the help, I will have a look at what money I have left after Santa has raided my wallet on his annual bank account raid! :)

Out of interest, would Bilstein dampers work with my (adjustable) Eibach springs? I's like to not lose my warranty, obviuosly, as I have 2 years of it left. I've only just installed the new springs, which cost a fair bit and won't be changing them again!
If anyone has a similar setup it would be good to hear about it. Thanks :)

Out of interest, would Bilstein dampers work with my (adjustable) Eibach springs? I's like to not lose my warranty, obviuosly, as I have 2 years of it left. I've only just installed the new springs, which cost a fair bit and won't be changing them again!
If anyone has a similar setup it would be good to hear about it. Thanks :)
We have special KONI sport short shocks that will sort the ride out beautifully . you can keep the springs if you like the way the van looks now and save money ,
Bilstein generally use a different technology and its not the most comfortable although it will be better than the standard , The short KONI is with out doubt the way to go!

we have them specially made for the Transporter market here in UK . Coil overs aren't for everyone and lots of them aren't fit for purpose so avoid that mine field unless the supplier is happy to swap the kit if you aren't happy with the result .
Give me a shout and ill discuss this option at length with you .

Our warranty is better than VW so dont need to worry about that

I can vouch for the Koni Short Sports, I bought a set from Steve @CRS for my T5.1 T28 back in March to go with my Eibach Comfort Low 50/60 springs. The ride was excellent but I did replace all the front suspension components at the same time, top mounts, top mount plates(modified to drop another 12mm), bearings, drop links, ball joints, tie rods, wishbones, arb bushes. I was very happy with the adjustability, handling, drive, everthing except I just wanted it a little lower even with the modified top mount plates. I was down a total of 65mm front and about the same at the back with the Eibach adjusters at their lowest.

I've just changed to a set of SoLows so I'm using OEM top mount plates as the Solows start at 100mm drop and I dont want anymore (at last!!) As a back to back comparison the SoLows are as good as the Koni/Eibach set up and absolutely no noise over speed ramps but I put this down to the modified top mount plates (I know Steve doesnt like these) I think the SoLows at their highest have about as much travel as the short Konis.

Apologies it's a T5.1 and not a T6 !

On Koni/Eibach
van_ke_1.jpg

On SoLows
van_so_2.jpg
van_so_1.jpg
kss1.jpg
kss2.jpg

We have special KONI sport short shocks that will sort the ride out beautifully . you can keep the springs if you like the way the van looks now and save money ,
Bilstein generally use a different technology and its not the most comfortable although it will be better than the standard , The short KONI is with out doubt the way to go!

we have them specially made for the Transporter market here in UK . Coil overs aren't for everyone and lots of them aren't fit for purpose so avoid that mine field unless the supplier is happy to swap the kit if you aren't happy with the result .
Give me a shout and ill discuss this option at length with you .

Our warranty is better than VW so dont need to worry about that
I see your post and have put you on my list for a visit around spring time(no pun intended)next year. I am still throwing money at the conversion of the interior but that is coming to an end as I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Suspension is now on my radar. I am in Nottingham which is not too far from you.

Good stuff, I will give you a shout to talk about the short Koni's. I like the height of my van now with about the max 65mm drop, I like a bit of fishing so I don't want to rip my splitter off over the rough ground!

Last edited:
Yeah, I am more interested in the feel of the ride and the handling than I am about dropping the height. I do beach or cosst line fishing so I want to keep a decent ride height so I don't bottom the van.

Back