Lowered 70mm on 20s - does it look *low* or not?

WHSE

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

Those of you down around 70mm on 20 inch wheels, would you describe the van looking low, or just right? Having a hard time deciding what I want to go with so any pictures would be great.

I know there are lots of choices and ride height is only part of the decision making process, but seeing how things look at this height might help me pull my finger out and get it done!

Thanks

Have a look at this thread, may help

Hi all,

Those of you down around 70mm on 20 inch wheels, would you describe the van looking low, or just right? Having a hard time deciding what I want to go with so any pictures would be great.

I know there are lots of choices and ride height is only part of the decision making process, but seeing how things look at this height might help me pull my finger out and get it done!

Thanks
Had mine lowered 3 days ago exactly 70mm

IMG_8695.jpeg

Hi all,

Thanks
Wheel and tyre choice can seriously affect the look , 70 mm is an aggressive drop in reality. Ignore all comments about. Vans lowered mor than 80 mm. Being comfortable. ,

Sorry to hijack. @Scrabby67 I’m having the same dilemma hence finding this thread. I’m booked in for these wheels and twin adjust sensitive or bilstein komforts (I cannot decide!).

This set up looks excellent. What kit did you use and how are you finding it? I was thinking 70mm drop and wondered if I would be better going 70mm on So Low’s so they were pretty much at full height.

Mine is a camper and my only worry is it needs to be practical without the risk of bottoming out anywhere.

Sorry to hijack. @Scrabby67 I’m having the same dilemma hence finding this thread. I’m booked in for these wheels and twin adjust sensitive or bilstein komforts (I cannot decide!).

This set up looks excellent. What kit did you use and how are you finding it? I was thinking 70mm drop and wondered if I would be better going 70mm on So Low’s so they were pretty much at full height.

Mine is a camper and my only worry is it needs to be practical without the risk of bottoming out anywhere.
I had the H&R coil over set up fitted by @CRS Performance. I also had the anti-roll bars changed to H&R at the same time.. it drives so much better now, not too stiff but so much better connected to the road with less body roll and better handling. If you have a read up on the forum you’ll find that @CRS Performance recommends H&R over Bilstein for ride quality, the quality of the actual shocks and for the fitment to a Transporter. They have done plenty of campers so I’m sure they’ll be along to recommend a set up for your van.

Solows start at around 100mm minimum.

This is mine on Solow NSL. All the way down at the rear and about 5mm left to play with on the adjuster at the front. No rubbing or scraping on full lock.

Just as, if not more comfortable than the B14 komforts I had on before, plus you are able to go lower with the NSL's if you want.

Hope this helps in some way.

7D850ACE-782F-4BA8-BA0D-C266CA802228_1_105_c.jpeg

Sounds perfect. I was torn between the b14 komforts and the twin adjust sensitive but I think it would make more sense to go with the so lows on a higher setting.

Mine is a t28 and I was going to go with 255/40/20 101. What size tyre are you running and any issues with rub or scraping on the bottom?

Sounds perfect. I was torn between the b14 komforts and the twin adjust sensitive but I think it would make more sense to go with the so lows on a higher setting.

Mine is a t28 and I was going to go with 255/40/20 101. What size tyre are you running and any issues with rub or scraping on the bottom?

The tyre size is 245/40/20. That's a 103 load rating. The alloys are 9", ET38 with a 20mm spacer on the rear to fine tune the fitment to the lip.

245/40 20 is very close to 275/35/20 circumference which VW recommend as the correct size for 20" alloys.

I don't have any issues with rubbing anywhere. It still gives me quite a bit of ground clearance. I use my van for a lot of fishing where I'm quite often driving down rough country roads with grass growing in the middle and I don't have any issues.

I was running 255/40/20 before that (when I had the B14 komforts) and they looked just a tiny bit too big and would have probably rubbed at the drop I'm at now.

Another pic from a different angle:

53CD5F14-7B22-4EC6-B8CC-FAD67FFC359C_1_105_c.jpeg

Hi all,

Thanks
Hi,

A word of caution, from personal knowledge and not wishing to call out any individual companies, many lower vehicles incorrectly. They are quick to install the equipment, but without knowing the correct setup or tolerances resulting in vehicles which are not lowered to the correct level.

Bilstein B14 Komforts appear to be the go-to dampers used by many a Transporter customise garage, but in fact there are many better products available - such as Koni, H&R to name but two.

I recently lowered my van, upgraded the dampers and springs as well as replacing the anti-roll bars. It totally transformed the way my van drove, handled, felt and even stopped Not to mention ride quality. I have since compared my setup to a mates with Bilstein B14 Komforts, and we both agree it is miles better and quieter!

A big shout out goes to @CRS Performance for doing an excellent job. They listened to the issues / problems experienced, and asked what I was after, and then suggested a couple of options and provided an explanation why.

I‘ve provisionally ordered a replacement Big Brake Kit from @CRS Performance - providing Steve still has it in stock.

I have a T6.1 Transporter Camper. @CRS Performance will be able to sort you out with something you want, is suitable and which works! @CRS Performance make a good cuppa will you wait too!

Back