Low temperature lithium battery

That looks better but even that one wants to charge the starter to 12.4v. I’d be happier if I found one that only cut in if the starter dropped below 12v and cutout at 12.2v.

You only need a 50-75mA feed to keep on top of the parasitic discharge form the starter battery. You do not need to get technical about it. My simple home brew charger is connected all the time between the leisure battery and the starter battery when the van is not is use. (i.e. most of the time at the moment!).

My starter battery sits at 12.4-12.6V with this.

You only need a 50-75mA feed to keep on top of the parasitic discharge form the starter battery. You do not need to get technical about it. My simple home brew charger is connected all the time between the leisure battery and the starter battery when the van is not is use. (i.e. most of the time at the moment!).

My starter battery sits at 12.4-12.6V with this.
Have you got details? That sounds ideal, the votronic I’ve got worked great with agm but is hopeless with lithium. Because the alternator only keeps the starter battery at 80%, the votronic kicks 2-3 amps into it until it’s fully charged which is a waste.

Basically, ignoring the switches and voltage displays, it is a Schottky diode (they have very low voltage drop) and a 5W bulb is series. Appropriate low amp fuses in each 12V plug at each end of the cables for protection. If you want more current, put two 5W bulbs in parallel.

More on the rational and info here: https://www.t6forum.com/threads/trickle-charging-starter-battery-psu-modification.19212/post-263941

Works for me! :thumbsup:
Could I use a resistor in place of the bulb? There’s enough blinking lights under the seats at it is when you’re trying to sleep.

(Should’ve read that thread before asking that)

So decided last night to pop the battery loose in the van and wanted to check what the temperature would be this morning as it was due to be below zero. Connected to the battery via bluetooth and the temperature was showing this:-

IMG_6280.PNGIMG_6281.PNG

Also on the outside of the battery the alert was flashing.

IMG_6282.JPG

Brought the battery into the house and popped it on charge, once the victron blue smart 12/30/3 charger is connected the status would change to charging! How ever the status stayed on standby when usually this would change to charging once the charger is connected.

IMG_6283.jpg

The charger was showing that it was drawing 6.7A at 14.2v. The setting for the charger was for 30A, and was charging in absorption charge.

IMG_6284.PNG

I monitored the battery and as the temperature climbed and hit 5c the battery then started to charge. This looked to take around 5 minutes, although this may be slightly longer if the battery was left in the van as I'm sure the warmth in the house may have helped.

IMG_6286.PNGIMG_6287.PNG

The charger then showed bulk charge and the full 30A.

IMG_6288.PNG

Seemed really simple and the battery's BMS sorted the temperature and warming of the battery to then start to charge once it hit 5c.

So decided last night to pop the battery loose in the van and wanted to check what the temperature would be this morning as it was due to be below zero. Connected to the battery via bluetooth and the temperature was showing this:-

View attachment 101021View attachment 101022

Also on the outside of the battery the alert was flashing.

View attachment 101023

Brought the battery into the house and popped it on charge, once the victron blue smart 12/30/3 charger is connected the status would change to charging! How ever the status stayed on standby when usually this would change to charging once the charger is connected.

View attachment 101024

The charger was showing that it was drawing 6.7A at 14.2v. The setting for the charger was for 30A, and was charging in absorption charge.

View attachment 101025

I monitored the battery and as the temperature climbed and hit 5c the battery then started to charge. This looked to take around 5 minutes, although this may be slightly longer if the battery was left in the van as I'm sure the warmth in the house may have helped.

View attachment 101026View attachment 101027

The charger then showed bulk charge and the full 30A.

View attachment 101028

Seemed really simple and the battery's BMS sorted the temperature and warming of the battery to then start to charge once it hit 5c.
So it took the 6.7A direct from the charger to heat the battery? This just gets better and better. If only it was just a little smaller, like the Valence it means it’s so much more cluttered under the seat having to lay it on its side.

Out of stock :(

As soo as these come back into stock I think I’ll order one, such a neat solution. I might flog my Valence to offset this or I might keep it for other projects.

@andys yes the charger was set for 30A but only drew 6.7amp. Once the temperature hit 5c it went up to 23A.

I ordered and paid for mine in December, which meant that when they arrived in stock last week it was set aside for me.

@andys yes the charger was set for 30A but only drew 6.7amp. Once the temperature hit 5c it went up to 23A.

I ordered and paid for mine in December, which meant that when they arrived in stock last week it was set aside for me.

I've been looking at these batteries for a while now and I know it prevents charging below 0c or indeed at a reduced rate. But can you still use the battery to power other loads as it states the operating temp goes down to -20 or does the BMS in the battery cut off the battery entirely when trying to be charged? I hope that makes sense.

No the battery behaved normally. The BMS used the charge input to heat the battery up to 5c before allowing the battery to begin charging. When the input charge was heating the battery there were no alarms as can be seen in the picture below.

IMG_6295.PNG

Pre-ordered one of these today, thanks for the heads up @DEH
Delivery hopefully for the end of this month.

Reactions: DEH
Just pre ordered two myself..

They have a decent stock coming in.....

Whatever that equates too...

No discount for T6F members unfortunately.

Screenshot_20210202-110509_Email.jpg

Interesting thread to follow...so if I decide to do more winter camping here or abroad im guessing it would not just be a straight swap out for my regular 105ah Lifos battery for one of the Poweroad low temp batteries? Is there more to it than that? My set up is below. Thanks peeps.IMG_2775.jpeg

Yes that would be a direct swap..

Lithium for lithium.

Then I would double check the charge settings on that Stirling and solar controller.

Thanks @Dellmassive...just out of curiosity what kind of life expectancy would you expect from a Lifos assuming its treated correctly during its lifetime?

It could do...

Depends where you plan to use the van...

If your South Coast and plan on camping in sunny Europe, then its an additional expense you don't need. Its not been below 0degc in London for who knows how long....

On the other hand.

If your up Scotland way or plan on going to the alps were its below freezing often then a subzero battery could be beneficial.

Thanks @Dellmassive...just out of curiosity what kind of life expectancy would you expect from a Lifos assuming its treated correctly during its lifetime?

LIfos 105Ah - they saying upto 10years "trouble free operation." with a 5 year warrenty.

2750 discharge cycles @ 25degc @ 90% DOD
3500 discharge cycles @ 25degc @ 75% DOD
5 year warrenty.

1612286371536.png

1612286447115.png

1612286694753.png

LIfos 105Ah - they saying upto 10years "trouble free operation." with a 5 year warrenty.

2750 discharge cycles @ 25degc @ 90% DOD
3500 discharge cycles @ 25degc @ 75% DOD
5 year warrenty.

View attachment 101492

View attachment 101493

View attachment 101495

Brilliant , thanks mate.:thumbsup:

Back