Loud beeping when indicating with towbar bike carrier

Fred_in_the_van

I just got myself a new tow bar and bike carrier on my 2019 T6 highline. Is there anyway of disabling the super loud beeping noise when indicating or at least reducing the volume? I guess it is a reminder if you got a trailer attached but does it have to be so loud!!

It shouldn't be necessary these days. It's to tell you that the trailer indicators are working. If it doesn't beep, they're not working. On modern vehicles with bulb monitoring, the trailer lights are monitored too, so if a trailer indicator is not working, you'll get double speed tick tocks from the dash.

I just got myself a new tow bar and bike carrier on my 2019 T6 highline. Is there anyway of disabling the super loud beeping noise when indicating or at least reducing the volume? I guess it is a reminder if you got a trailer attached but does it have to be so loud!!
Sounds like you’ve got a low spec non-canbus towbar/electrics. You’re stuck with it unless you can come up with a low tech solution. A piece of gaffer tape over the sounder might work.

The cambus is not a fitter issue but a vehicle issue.

The cambus is not a fitter issue but a vehicle issue.
Or more of a kit issue. The fitter/installer has used a cheap “universal” one size fit all electrics kit. I’m guessing that if the OPdigs around in the back of his vehicle, he’ll find a rats nest of wires & scotchloks tapped into the existing loom. I hope I’m wrong, but…

Or more of a kit issue. The fitter/installer has used a cheap “universal” one size fit all electrics kit. I’m guessing that if the OPdigs around in the back of his vehicle, he’ll find a rats nest of wires & scotchloks tapped into the existing loom. I hope I’m wrong, but…
There is that risk…! Less chance of same fitter fixing it though!

Sorry, what do you mean? CAN bus is the communication network in the car.
Correct! And if the fitter can’t work with the interface or the interface is lower spec, then it is a loud repeater fit. Or, a bodge job with a universal fitting.

Sorry, what do you mean? CAN bus is the communication network in the car.
Yup. A “proper” kit, communicates with the vehicle & activates/de-activates certain functions on the vehicle when a trailer is plugged in. E.g. a graphic will appear on the head unit showing a trailer connected when reverse is selected. The rear PDC sensors will be disabled, the stability control maybe modified depending on base vehicle spec. Etc. It sounds like you have a “dumb” kit fitted that just mimics the rear light clusters.

Yup. A “proper” kit, communicates with the vehicle & activates/de-activates certain functions on the vehicle when a trailer is plugged in. E.g. a graphic will appear on the head unit showing a trailer connected when reverse is selected. The rear PDC sensors will be disabled, the stability control maybe modified depending on base vehicle spec. Etc. It sounds like you have a “dumb” kit fitted that just mimics the rear light clusters.
Yes, I think you are right

Reactions: JOG
Yes, I think you are right
I suspect you haven’t had the right kit fitted

Simple test is whether your rear fog light deactivates when a trailer is fitted (to prevent glare) but the fog light on the trailer is lit up!

You shouldn't have to turn off the rear sensors, that should happen automatically with the correct kit fitted and the BCM coding changed.

In the short term, wrap the beeper up in something that will keep it quiet, then get yourself the proper kit that's designed to do the job.

I know that's a 13 pin and your bike rack is probably a 7 pin, but a 13 pin socket will be future proof and you can buy 13 to 7 pin adapters.

You shouldn't have to turn off the rear sensors, that should happen automatically with the correct kit fitted and the BCM coding changed.

In the short term, wrap the beeper up in something that will keep it quiet, then get yourself the proper kit that's designed to do the job.

I know that's a 13 pin and your bike rack is probably a 7 pin, but a 13 pin socket will be future proof and you can buy 13 to 7 pin adapters.
My tow bar socket is a already 13pin, although the bike carrier only seem to be using 8.

PXL_20220710_070941719.jpg

PXL_20220710_070845105.jpg

Do you know the location of that beeper by any chance?

So given that it is already a 13 pin socket and that the Van seems to be detecting the bike carrier (loud beeping when indicating) maybe I just need to reprogram some of the BCM codes or find someone who can. Anyway, off to do some paddling today, no issue there kayak is on the roof :)

16574388561064961810461333112801.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Ok thanks. That was Topfit towbar in Gloucestershire. Not sure what to do now.
So given that it is already a 13 pin socket and that the Van seems to be detecting the bike carrier (loud beeping when indicating) maybe I just need to reprogram some of the BCM codes or find someone who can. Anyway, off to do some paddling today, no issue there kayak is on the roof :)

View attachment 164280
It’s not just a case of coding, unfortunately. It’s what’s on the other end of the cable from the 13pin socket on the van. It shouldn’t even have a beeper on it. You’ve been supplied with a generic aftermarket wiring kit that isn’t specific to your vehicle.

Back