loss of power [Resolved]

Scott6

Hi guys,
my van is making a loud hissing noise from the engine when putting my foot down and there is a huge loss of power, I'm presuming it's a boost hose? that's come off or split?
anything else i should be looking for?
there is no engine light on.
while the van is idling it won't rev above 2500 revs, never tried it before so not sure if it's normal?
Thanks

Hi guys,
my van is making a loud hissing noise from the engine when putting my foot down and there is a huge loss of power, I'm presuming it's a boost hose? that's come off or split?
anything else i should be looking for?
there is no engine light on.
while the van is idling it won't rev above 2500 revs, never tried it before so not sure if it's normal?
Thanks
Yeah the idling thing is normal bud. I tried this on mine previously and had to ask the same question. Sounds like you said boost hose but could also be the EGR flexi hose potentially? Can you smell exhaust gas in the van? Ps nice carp!

not sure if you can see, but there seems to be a couple of blobs of oil by the radiator and few other places

16052838786167884465302952319119.jpg

16052839713743635368658824639018.jpg

I've searched the forum and im presuming that's the silver box on top of the engine? I can't physically see anything on the hoses coming off this box, so I will have to try take them off in the morning and have a look?

echo what @kindofblue recommends. I had similar symptoms with my old T5.1, so can't be for sure they are directly transferable to a T6/T6.1. The intercooler sits in front of the radiator and looks like a smaller radiator. On the T5.1 there were some pretty big hoses coming off it. These will carry a little oil - well mine did. The hissing, or more whooshing noise was air getting sucked in where it shouldn't be getting sucked in. Via a split hose or a hose not clipped properly either end.
The limit in revs is your engine management doing its job and protecting.

I dont think there is a intercooler but there is definitely big hoses going to the charge cooler that's on top of the engine. I'll take them off tomorrow and I'll report back.
thank you for your help guys.

just a quick update, I've had my father in law mechanic have a butcher's today, it was actually the front egr flex pipe (long one at the front) there was black soot around the base and he pretty much just pulled it off and stuffed it back in. I'm collecting a new 1 tomorrow so fingers crossed it will be sorted. thanks for your help guys.

Back