Looking to buy my first camper!

bash

T6 Pro
Hi, newbie and dreamer of owning a vw conversion here.

Having researched this forum, autotrader and speaking to a couple of converters in the trade. I think I’m finally getting there to figuring out what I’d like on a van.

I have a limited budget and based on prices I think I’d be better off finding a pre-loved conversion which had most of the bells and whistles that I’d like already on it.

I’m thinking that I’d want DSG auto box on LWB around a 16/17 plate with c.50/60k miles, tailgate preferred, FSH and perhaps the cam and water pump already seen too.

On the wish list I’d like underslung gas and water tanks, a diesel or gas heater (German not chinese), rotating captains at the front, pop top with a sprung bed would be great (is the froli any good?), van shades all round, wind out awning, rib bed for below and the typical cabinetry on the right hand side, speakers for the back. Decent amount of Solar and electrics that I could pretend to understate how they worked. A gas grill or microwave (not fussed but either will do). And the all important sound deadened and insulation done.

I’ve seen a van on AutoTrader that has a lot of the above on it for £37k…is that about right in todays market?

Any thoughts on what else a first-timer might want on their van? What do you have on yours that you couldn’t be without?

Cheers
Bash

Reactions: CAB
That price seems high but I am no expert on prices.

I would drop the gas grill or microwave, we have a gas grill and would rather have an extra cupboard!

I have cheapo air fryer that runs from my ecoflow delta. No gas in my van

Having researched this forum, autotrader and speaking to a couple of converters in the trade. I think I’m finally getting there to figuring out what I’d like on a van.

I have a limited budget and based on prices I think I’d be better off finding a pre-loved conversion which had most of the bells and whistles that I’d like already on it.

I’m thinking that I’d want DSG auto box on LWB around a 16/17 plate with c.50/60k miles, tailgate preferred, FSH and perhaps the cam and water pump already seen too.

On the wish list I’d like underslung gas and water tanks, a diesel or gas heater (German not chinese), rotating captains at the front, pop top with a sprung bed would be great (is the froli any good?), van shades all round, wind out awning, rib bed for below and the typical cabinetry on the right hand side, speakers for the back. Decent amount of Solar and electrics that I could pretend to understate how they worked. A gas grill or microwave (not fussed but either will do). And the all important sound deadened and insulation done.

I’ve seen a van on AutoTrader that has a lot of the above on it for £37k…is that about right in todays market?

Any thoughts on what else a first-timer might want on their van? What do you have on yours that you couldn’t be without?

Cheers
Bash
@bash - my best advice is to go & hire a campervan for a little holiday.

That way you'll definitely know what you want and more importantly what you don't want in your conversion.
It's a big expense to get wrong, and by spending a little on hiring will make you spend your budget wisely.

@bash - my best advice is to go & hire a campervan for a little holiday.

That way you'll definitely know what you want and more importantly what you don't want in your conversion.
It's a big expense to get wrong, and by spending a little on hiring will make you spend your budget wisely.
Sound advice
What is your must have in your camper and what’s your never use it?
Cheers

Sound advice
Cheers
My "must have" is solar & a decent leisure battery set up.
My "never use it" is nothing, as we rented a campervan for a little holiday (Black Rock Sands, N. Wales) before we decided what we needed & then spent the hard earned money on conversion!! :thumbsup:

Sound advice
Cheers
Diesel heater.

Never use: we bought an expensive Windbreak. Used a few times, never take it now.

bought a 68 plate T6 (T32) highline, 25k miles, picked up from Newport 2 weeks ago, private purchase, came with galli 3 awning tent…has the sky low pop top, sportline look which i love, rib seat, 2 captains chairs up front (passenger swivels), webasto heater and in the back a side unit housing gas hob and sink and lower down gas locker and water storage.

We had a night out (BritStops) in it last night in Cranbrook, Kent. Poxy weather but good test. Great boozer and very accommodating to Britstoppers (woodcock inn).

Thoughts so far:
1. Comfort levels for sleeping on the Rib bed need to be improved, we used a thick topper that we have on a spare bed and own duvet and pillows….thinking duvalay foam going forward

2. Condensation - best ways to prevent or lessen the effects?…we have black out curtains on sides and back and a cheap plastic wrap around for the front.

3. Signed up for VW 2yr all in warranty, seems a no brainier (inc 2 services, 2 mots, AA/VW road assist.), for £33 a month.

I’ve a few urgent upgrades needed, I had a Spring checkup through VW, which identified a broken coil spring on the back right (I don’t feel any effect when driving though) , from my short time on the forum I know I’m going to have to speak to @CRS Performance for the right set-up. Front tyres are also close to the mark, who do I go to to find which tyres are best for the van. currently on 18inch sportline alloys..with Goodyear 235/50R18 101H (think I’ve read on here that this wouldn’t be the correct load rating for a T32.

loving the T6 forum and all those that contribute, a great resource for newbies like myself…

1B0AD8F2-C1E5-4A73-9D84-EC364D3EC101.jpeg

bought a 68 plate T6 (T32) highline, 25k miles, picked up from Newport 2 weeks ago, private purchase, came with galli 3 awning tent…has the sky low pop top, sportline look which i love, rib seat, 2 captains chairs up front (passenger swivels), webasto heater and in the back a side unit housing gas hob and sink and lower down gas locker and water storage.

We had a night out (BritStops) in it last night in Cranbrook, Kent. Poxy weather but good test. Great boozer and very accommodating to Britstoppers (woodcock inn).

Thoughts so far:
1. Comfort levels for sleeping on the Rib bed need to be improved, we used a thick topper that we have on a spare bed and own duvet and pillows….thinking duvalay foam going forward

2. Condensation - best ways to prevent or lessen the effects?…we have black out curtains on sides and back and a cheap plastic wrap around for the front.

3. Signed up for VW 2yr all in warranty, seems a no brainier (inc 2 services, 2 mots, AA/VW road assist.), for £33 a month.

I’ve a few urgent upgrades needed, I had a Spring checkup through VW, which identified a broken coil spring on the back right (I don’t feel any effect when driving though) , from my short time on the forum I know I’m going to have to speak to @CRS Performance for the right set-up. Front tyres are also close to the mark, who do I go to to find which tyres are best for the van. currently on 18inch sportline alloys..with Goodyear 235/50R18 101H (think I’ve read on here that this wouldn’t be the correct load rating for a T32.

loving the T6 forum and all those that contribute, a great resource for newbies like myself…

View attachment 193599
Welcome aboard , Look forward to hearing from you when you need help with suspension.
no sales crap here just solid advice and industry leading equipment , time tested and proved.
CRS

Cheers
Bash
Hi Bash,
It may have been my T6 you have seen, used mostly for 5 euro trips,half camping but brilliant all the same.
If you want to chat about it ,genuine reason for selling. no problem….

Lots of threads on condensation, really boils down to a balance of warm and ventilation.
should help without wading too deep.

Back