Looking for a portable internet for off grid adventures

twm_vanventures

Hello all,

I have been researching MiFi's/Adapters for my van but I am unsure where to start and is there a pay as you go internet instead of a contract? As I would only use this when I go camping. Any recommendations on both?

Thanks in advance :)

H

Some more info over here...

I've got a 120GB EE sim from argos for £50 that lasts 12 months or until the 120GB is used whichever comes first. I use it as a home backup if my ISP goes down and for UK trips in a BT Home Hub I got for £20 off ebay or you could use it in an old mobile phone and hotspot from that.

I've got a 120GB EE sim from argos for £50 that lasts 12 months or until the 120GB is used whichever comes first. I use it as a home backup if my ISP goes down and for UK trips in a BT Home Hub I got for £20 off ebay or you could use it in an old mobile phone and hotspot from that.
Some more info over here...

Thanks so much :) much appreciated!

Starlink, i used mines for the first time this weekend, Fri , Sat I'm impressed :) its expensive @ £85 per month but you can start and stop your sub anytime you like. I suppose it depends on how much you like your home comforts when you travel for me its a no brainer.

One thing to keep in mind if you are expecting to be in more fringe areas is your range will be dictated more by can the cell tower hear you rather than the other way around.

Given that any mobile phone has a power limit given it's expected to be on your body whereas a travel 4G router can use a higher power class for transmission.

Again if you are expecting fringe use then not keeping your 4G device in the big metal box that is your van will give the radios more chance. That could be fitted antenna or just being careful to set a router up in a window - a windscreen phone holder can do very well on a side window with a MiFi type device.

As my general travel/event device I currently use a Archer MR200 - the generation with removable antenna - and I have a GiffGaff (O2) SIM that I load with a month's data as and when. It's a bit bulky but then we tend to use it when we rent an apartment and I do tend to do a lot of outdoor events where I provide network cover. It also gives me a backup at home if I need it, given I work from home full time these days.

It's certainly the simplest and I do that when it makes sense.

Keep in mind that your phone isn't a wireless access point so it can get a bit funky if you try and support a lot of devices. I've also found mine can run quite hot under the load.

You will not get the higher power of a dedicated router, which might make the difference in fringe areas.

I have found that getting the phone out of the metal box really helps, on the narrowboat I tend to stick the phone out in the cratch cover where the sides are heavy duty canvas. Means you get better 4G signal and the WiFi is so local the fact it has to come through the boat hull is usually fine. A similar trick can probably be done by those with awnings, if not being on the dashboard properly gives the best shot. Again I've used window phone holders here very effectively, just find the window with best reception.

Back