Load area lights too dim

Keeff

T6 Guru
I have changed all the front lights and cab but need to do something with the load area ones .I have fitted the same festoon as I use in the cab but they are no brighter than the yellow vw ones. Has anyone fitted something that really lights up the back or do vw do a led fitting.
I have just done the DRLs today with led ones I got from eBay and they look much better and very white . I do get a glow from the LED that points forward when the engine is off and unlocked but don't think it would show even in the dark.

I used philips LED lamps throughout mine, they are a touch expensive but nice and bright with no canbus flickering
Philips Xtreme Vision Festoon LED Bulb C5W 4000K 43MM (Single Bulb)
Do the internal lights "time out" if you leave a door open?
If so does the led lamp alter this at all?
I only ask, as my lights are different in a Vel, but there are two in the boot (one either side), that take this bulb type, and I would like to change them to LED (all other internal lights are LED factory fit), but these two in the boot are traditional types. We often leave the boot open, and rely on them "timing out"

Cant see LED would make a difference to timeout period as its controlled via central electrics module
Mine seem no different from before to after LEDs fitted
Think there are a few more non LEDs on caravelle in step lights and doors ?

Cant see LED would make a difference to timeout period as its controlled via central electrics module
Mine seem no different from before to after LEDs fitted
Think there are a few more non LEDs on caravelle in step lights and doors ?
There are loads of LED interior lights in the VEL, probably 10ish in the headlining; 4 in the steps; there are also 8 ambient/mood lights in the footwells and door cards. Just the two in the boot are traditional (don't know why??????), Think I will give yours a try:):)

Not so sure they are all LED, they look like it but the Gen 6 Caravelle step light i bought has four or five very small filament lamps inside it, the yellow glow is the giveaway

Not so sure they are all LED, they look like it but the Gen 6 Caravelle step light i bought has four or five very small filament lamps inside it, the yellow glow is the giveaway
Yes, I think the others are, but the step lights are more yellowed, well spotted

I bought some off ebay for my t5......they were ok......sometimes flickered a bit. I think I'll go for those you've mentioned Pauly.........somehow, I suspect they might be better quality?? Is the step light the same size.....I'm assuming they're all 43mm, right? Is the step light easy to replace?

My load area has now been fitted with the brightest LED light ever....
It's like the starship enterprise every time I open a door !!!!:cool:

I don't know, it's a single light in the centre of the van, I will have a nosey tomorrow and ask them what type they fitted, if they don't tell me, I'll just use my Vulcan death grip on em.....;)

Got the two philips led lamps (2no.) for the load area as per Pauly's post. Simple little job for a sunday afternoon. After struggling to pop the lens out, got the fist LED in, it worked fine, pushed the lamp holder and lens back into the hole and bent the retaining clip; straighten that up and LHS sorted.
After learning form the LHS got the RHS our quicker; popes the new lamp in and managed to short the circuit because the metal plate at the back within 5mm of the other polarity spring clip is infact part of the circuit. Should have disconnected the light fitting first, as you cannot turn off the boot lights they time out only on a vel, without popping a fuse or disconnecting the battery, or indeed waiting for it to time out.
In fitting the second lamp, managed to brake the spring clip which holds the the lamp in place, so now need a whole new fitting from TPS.
Looked in the handbook re the fuse position. You have to remove the wine bottle holder underneath the cup holders, and the fuses are in there. Even with the seats pushed back I couldn't get at them. Also the handbook says there is no schematic or fuse-card to tell you which is which, as it is too complicated and regularly being updated so need to go to a VW service centre???????:mad::mad::mad::mad:

F*** me, a 5 minute job will turn out to be a £100 upgrade by the time I have finished. Ahhh well, got a nice sunday lunch to look forward to:)

Last edited:
It's the bottom left fuse there's a pic I posted around somewhere I will go find it for you

Back