Live Neutral Reverse

Matt_d_1985

Hi,

I’ve installed a Victron 12/375 inverter that’s connected to a leisure battery and grounded to the chassis. I’ve plugged a tester in and it’s coming up with a Live Neutral reverse, but I can clearly see that they’re the right way around! Any ideas?

Matt

Not sure how reliable they would be on an inverter, I think it would need an earth as a reference voltage to measure against
I have a couple socket testers and have a large invertor in my T6 on a leisure batt and a small factory one fitted in my work transit so could try them out in these and see what it says

I mainly just want to be sure it’s earthed correctly. At the moment it’s earthed to the chassis via the earth output on the inverter and it all works, but I’ve had advice that it should be earth neutral bonded which then goes beyond me.

I want to be able to use it on the move, so requiring a earthing spike isn’t ideal. I also don’t want to the RCD to fail because it doesn’t have the required earth.

I have spoken with an auto electrician that says an earth to chassis is fine and a domestic electrician who said that wouldn’t be sufficient.

I mainly just want to be sure it’s earthed correctly. At the moment it’s earthed to the chassis via the earth output on the inverter and it all works, but I’ve had advice that it should be earth neutral bonded which then goes beyond me.

I want to be able to use it on the move, so requiring a earthing spike isn’t ideal. I also don’t want to the RCD to fail because it doesn’t have the required earth.

I have spoken with an auto electrician that says an earth to chassis is fine and a domestic electrician who said that wouldn’t be sufficient.

I’m a spark, but no auto electrician but:

An rcd doesn’t need an Earth to work

A vehicle on the move will never have an “Earth”,

Are you using your tester when connected to the mains?

Thanks. Would you be happy in a van where the inverter is earthed to the chassis and an RCD plug is being used? Would you be happy that you are protected?

I have a fairly hefty inverter, installed by an auto electrician. It is earthed to the chassis.

Good call about using a RCD plug in the inverter outlet though, I shall go and stick one in the box.

Yeah i got one that wires onto the end of flex (like you get fitted on some extension leads) and my arctic cable is wired directly into it then onto a couple outlets in the vehicle, similar to this
10m-rcd-protected-double-socket-13amp-heavy-duty-extension-lead-10303-p.jpg

You can get pass through units that can be used in different places as required but figured this makes it permanent and stops the kids/swmbo unplugging it without realising what it is/what it does
ae235.jpg

Back