Lithium battery price

slocumjoseph

The Ancient Mariner
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Anyone know anything about LiTime batteries? I’ve been waiting for Lithium batteries to drop to a reasonable level and I realise the companies are now starting to make some competitive offers. I’m wary of this massive discount though. The old adage, if something appears too good to be true, it usually is. Or am I just being paranoid?

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 17.16.27.png

Right now with dropping prices across the board I wouldn't invest in a LiFePo that didn't have low temperature cutoff built in for installation in a van.

Right now with dropping prices across the board I wouldn't invest in a LiFePo that didn't have low temperature cutoff built in for installation in a van.

Thanks for the advice men. I guess the lack of low battery cutoff could be an issue if I lived way up North but I live in Central London where the temperature rarely goes below freezing these days. I have a 200w solar panel on the poptop and both batteries are charged and regulated through a Renogy 50a DC to DC charger and MPPT which usually looks after things. I’m thinking though, if the battery is well charged and very low temperatures are forecast I could just disconnect using the solar cut off switch. However the van is used as my general purpose vehicle. So perhaps I could let the solar continue to do its job and mount the battery on a heated blanket to keep the temp just above freezing if I need the vehicle during a long cold spell.

Thanks for the advice men. I guess the lack of low battery cutoff could be an issue if I lived way up North but I live in Central London where the temperature rarely goes below freezing these days. I have a 200w solar panel on the poptop and both batteries are charged and regulated through a Renogy 50a DC to DC charger and MPPT which usually looks after things. I’m thinking though, if the battery is well charged and very low temperatures are forecast I could just disconnect using the solar cut off switch. However the van is used as my general purpose vehicle. So perhaps I could let the solar continue to do its job and mount the battery on a heated blanket to keep the temp just above freezing if I need the vehicle during a long cold spell.
Fogstar have low battery cut off & a self heating function:

105ah @£369.00

With lithium it's not just good advice to not charge below zero, it's a safety issue.

Do not fit any lithium to your van unless you have something cutting the charging off near zero, ideally the battery BMS itself if not the charger.

See my post here

Good advice @roadtripper. It's noted. I can't trust myself to cut it off or warm it up manually. One mistake could be catastrophic. Might be a bit pricier but I'll get myself one with the low temp cut out.

Especially as you have solar - all it takes is for you to forget one sunny, frosty morning, or be away from the van. Low temp cut off, either on the battery or via your DC-DC and/or MPPT is a must have.

That's expensive! I bought an ecoworthy 100ah mini size lifepo4 12v from Ebay recently for £178. That was using a 20% code, but they run regular promos.

They accidentally sent me some brackets instead, but sent the battery next day delivery when I complained, then refunded me £30 to amend my low feedback.

So less than 150 in total. The battery is excellent. It may not have low temp protection, but I live in the south West and it's very rarely below zero, especially not inside the van.

Actually I've just read the manual for my sterling Dc-dc charger and it has charging cutoff below 0 degrees when the temp sensor is connected, and mine is. Result

For over £1200 I'd want all the bells and whistles. :rolleyes:
And that’s what you get. The price of lithium batteries has dropped dramatically over the last couple of years, but it’s been achieved partly by cutting out all the bells & whistles. We can’t have our cake & eat it.

‘fraid that’s too much for me but it seems I can get the safety I need for about £400

I was concerned about Lithium battery safety, you do hear of Cheap Chineseium lithium batteries randomly exploding, mainly scooters and the like and even electric vehicles have caught fire, not sure if it’s actually the batteries or faulty wiring/components bursting into flames, so saved up and brought a Roamer battery, which are each fully tested before shipping and comes will a 10 year guarantee, so they must trust their products.
When chatting to Roamer they don’t sell self heated batteries, and don’t intend to make any, can’t quite remember the reason they don’t, but it was along the lines of, it’s better to have extra power reserves in the battery so if needed you can run the vans diesel heater to keep the temperature up. So I’m my case I brought a 160ah battery, this means I can use a full 100ah of power and have 60ah in reserves to fire up the heater when in really cold situations.
Obviously not cheap batteries but I feel more comfortable with my choice of battery.
In a campervan you need to plan for the temperature of places you might travel too, not just where you live
For reference our 160 ah battery was £730 and fits on its side under swivel seat and still leaves room for a few chargers etc.

Last edited:
Back