Levelling when camping - Ramps, waffle boards, gear selection!

Manual, just the small movement when it seats into the gear is enough to ruin the levelling, whacking in the chocks sorts it though.

I should have said though (from the original query) they are slimmer than the tyres I have but placed centrally on the wheel they are fine. I wouldn’t want anything bigger as these are good for storing away and not being concerned if they don’t get used

I’ll have to try reverse. I normally drive up the ramp so my head says it should go in first to avoid moving backwards but I guess that doesn’t make sense. I noticed before when the suspension was being change that theres slack in the drive when in gear not sure if that is normal

I have the grey Fiamma levelling ramps and while they're quite bulky, they fit strapped to the inside of the tailgate along with some gripstrips and a small shovel. Lowering the handbrake bracket would solve your rolling problems, I don't need to disengage my handbrake to swivel the seats.

So you can have your handbrake in the raised position and still rotate your drivers seat ? how is that possible as all the brackets to lower/move the handbrake lever i have seen are just provided so the seat misses the handbrake lever but in the off position ? please do tell.

I think it involves refabricating the bracket so it’s lower.

I’m not sure I’m prepared to do this though as I have to reach down to put the handbrake on a lot more often than I have to swivel the seat so personally I’m prepared to live with this.

So you can have your handbrake in the raised position and still rotate your drivers seat ? how is that possible as all the brackets to lower/move the handbrake lever i have seen are just provided so the seat misses the handbrake lever but in the off position ? please do tell.
As far as I have seen lowering the hand brake bracket will only allow rotation of the seat when the hand brake is off. Yes the hand brake lever is lower and does require a bit of extra reach but you will soon get used to it.

I'm not sure if there's a bit of confusion here or whether I'm misunderstanding the queries. For clarity, yes a lowered handbrake bracket like mine will allow the seat to swivel while the handbrake is on i.e. pulled up. There wouldn't be any point in having them otherwise as the seat will obviously swivel fine when the handbrake is off, without lowering the bracket.
But yes, it does obviously mean stretching a little further to reach the handbrake, though it's not something I'm concious of.

I'm not sure if there's a bit of confusion here or whether I'm misunderstanding the queries. For clarity, yes a lowered handbrake bracket like mine will allow the seat to swivel while the handbrake is on i.e. pulled up. There wouldn't be any point in having them otherwise as the seat will obviously swivel fine when the handbrake is off, without lowering the bracket.
But yes, it does obviously mean stretching a little further to reach the handbrake, though it's not something I'm concious of.
Do you know which brkt you have please I could do with one of those.

Do you know which brkt you have please I could do with one of those.
Mine is the standard bracket modded. I drilled out the spot welds and got someone to weld it back on at the bottom of the seat base, then rattle can resprayed the base satin black. I can’t remember who I nicked the idea from on here but plenty of people have done it. Think there are a few businesses selling them ready converted but it will be much cheaper to do it yourself.

I just bought some Thule van levellers. They are 200mm wide. The instructions say they should not be used for tyres wider than 180. I am planning to use 265 40 20 tyres. What are others doing? Are there wide levellers or are people levelling up on the standard ones?

Last edited:
This has probably been covered elsewhere. What's the best method of levelling the van up on uneven pitches? TIA.

Back