Levelling when camping - Ramps, waffle boards, gear selection!

KombiKommando

Dogger
T6 Guru
I know..... how very domestic, but! What are the correct wheel chocks for my van? T30......

Or will any type do?

Thank you.

I guess you're refering to the levelling blocks for camping rather than the ramps for working on your vehicle?
If it's the camping ones then I believe any are ok.
If it's the maintenance ramps then I've got 3t ramps as that's the max my vehicle should ever weigh but will also only ever have half the van on them.

Ditto - only had to use them twice so far though - most of the time we manage to get reasonably level without and, so long as any slope is away from the way we sleep, we live with it.

I also have the Fiamma ramps, I have always been very useful, easily put them in their bag in the left side space of the trunk .... they are useful, always Fiamma, anti-sand plates, especially to move in the wet grass .... it happened to me with the original Continental tires, now with the BF Goodrich A / T I hope I do not need any more ......

Has anybody got any recommendations for good, strong levelling ramps for my camper which has 215 wide tyres (on Devonports) please? I've already got a pair of cheap Fiamma ramps which I got as an emergency buy at a campsite last year but they're really a bit too narrow. There seems to be a few different types on the market by Fiamma, Thule, Milenco, Maypole etc. but recommendations based on real world experience would be much appreciated. The correct answer is NOT, you don't need them. Thanks in advance.

I've always used the Fiamma ones as you describe with the same wheels as you have. The ramps are quire OK on most surfaces but do suffer when used on soft or 'lumpy' surfaces, they break in the webs underneath. The set that I have with the current camper have been OK during the times when they've been necessary in the past three years use. I guess that's about their life span and will need replacing in the next twelve months. My camper is a LWB T32 High Roof which is usually well loaded for long holidays.

I used to use several lengths of 2x6 for years which worked fine but the waffle boards are way better and more versatile

I use Thule 307617, Thule Levelers
They do a simple job for a reasonable price and come with a strong storage bag.
My only regret is often carrying them for thousands of miles on long trips away and rarely using them! I have considered looking into making some external storage brackets under the van.

Just found this thread as I was looking for some levelling ramps. I've never seen those waffle boards but as well as levelling just had a thought they could be used to under the wheels if stuck on a campsite. Food for thought.

I used the fiamma ones with the chocks on this summer. I found I needed the chocks as otherwise the van would roll down when disengaging the hand brake to swivel the seat.

I also got a set of these in case I get stuck (not used then yet though)

The ramps are in a nice case and quite small to pack away, the anti skid things are flat and so disappear under the seat

Back