Leisure Battery Charger

M2onys

Hi, I hope someone can help with some advice please, I would like to have a battery charger for my leisure battery that is hard wired to the battery so that when I am using the van and on EHU it will keep the battery topped up, I only have a12v system so the EHU is only going to be used for charging. Thanks Tony

A cheapish way that I do it (because the factory leisure charging is crap), I've got the following -

2x CTEK 40-133 Comfort Indicator: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike (one for starter battery and one for leisure battery)
1x CTEK MXS 10 Fully Automatic Battery Charger (Charges, Maintains and Reconditions Car, Caravan & Motorhome batteries) 12V, 10 Amp - UK Plug: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike (5a version will do, but slower)
2x https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MY1B3DY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_6CZ4BP3CJKGGRKBP7EZ2 (one on each battery)

I can then monitor battery charge levels either on my phone or via the indicator lead and quickly charge up either battery at home, work or onsite.

Or go the solar and dc to dc route, but the above works well for me.

I bought few years back of another forum a CTEK Multi XS25 12V 25A Battery Charger. Transferred from old motorhome (with 300amps worth of batteries - they lasted 5 years) to our new (to me) campervan which has a cyrix-ct fitted (which seems to work a treat). Connected to leisure battery direct and when charging will charge both Veh and leisure via cyrix-ct. Takes about 4/5 hours when the battery has been discharged to around 50%. Recommended all be it would not buy a new one as price is silly.
Not on EHU/mains much, but keeps batteries in good nick.

Last edited:
A cheapish way that I do it (because the factory leisure charging is crap), I've got the following -

2x CTEK 40-133 Comfort Indicator: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike (one for starter battery and one for leisure battery)
1x CTEK MXS 10 Fully Automatic Battery Charger (Charges, Maintains and Reconditions Car, Caravan & Motorhome batteries) 12V, 10 Amp - UK Plug: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike (5a version will do, but slower)
2x https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MY1B3DY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_6CZ4BP3CJKGGRKBP7EZ2 (one on each battery)

I can then monitor battery charge levels either on my phone or via the indicator lead and quickly charge up either battery at home, work or onsite.

Or go the solar and dc to dc route, but the above works well for me.
Nice setup.

Thanks for all your reply's its very helpful, @Dellmassive I have read so many of your posts they have been very helpful while I have been working on my van.
I am thinking of going for a Victron charger as this seems to be a popular choice, do I need much more kit to be able to solar charge the battery as well.

It seems the more I read the more confused it all becomes.

Thanks Tony

@M2onys while my Victron charges the Leisure battery on hook up i'm just about to fit a Ctek D250SE 20A to charge the Leisure battery from the engines alternator this will also allow you to connect your solar panels

Contact Travelvolts with your battery size or if you need any advise. he will sort you out

Thanks for all your reply's its very helpful, @Dellmassive I have read so many of your posts they have been very helpful while I have been working on my van.
I am thinking of going for a Victron charger as this seems to be a popular choice, do I need much more kit to be able to solar charge the battery as well.

It seems the more I read the more confused it all becomes.

Thanks Tony

As @Mud Digger mentioned above.

you can get a 2way DC-DC + Solar charger that has built in Solar - so just add a solar panel. (example 2way - CTEK D250 plus others )

or

get a stand alone solar controller and connect that to the Aux battery. with a solar panel obvs.

Sorry I should have said I already have a Auto Marine Solutions DC-DC Charger but this does not have solar on it.

Hi, I hope someone can help with some advice please, I would like to have a battery charger for my leisure battery that is hard wired to the battery so that when I am using the van and on EHU it will keep the battery topped up, I only have a12v system so the EHU is only going to be used for charging. Thanks Tony
You will need 230v ac input to 12v dc output device. Something like a Victron will be good. You can get cheaper but we always opt for good quality reliable products. Also ensure the device has decent amp output, 15a is good. Lower output are cheaper but you may find it does not keep the battery charged depending on what circuits/devices you have connected to the battery

All the best, Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sorry I should have said I already have a Auto Marine Solutions DC-DC Charger but this does not have solar on it.
You will need a separate solar regulator, again many choices, Bluetooth ones are good as you can monitor via an app. Victron do these also.

So this is what I have done so far, i want to keep everything nice and tidy under the seat, i have no units in the back as it is a day van, The fuse box goes behind the battery so it is easy to access

20201003_152058.jpg

So this is what I have done so far, i want to keep everything nice and tidy under the seat, i have no units in the back as it is a day van, The fuse box goes behind the battery so it is easy to access

View attachment 105406
Neat. Similar to mine (except yours is tidier!). I'm using the CTEK D250SE B2B and I have bought a 3 output 15A Victron mains charger which will fit under the drivers seat and connect to both the starter and leisure batteries. My thinking was that it would give me faster charging on EHU if I found myself getting a bit low. Mind you, EHU will mostly be for when the van is laid up on the drive at home.

Back