Leisure battery - best choice?

Rob_P

Hi all,
just starting my T6 conversion.
would like to install leisure power under the drivers seat - I think probably AGM rather than lithium as I don’t want to spend too much.
is there an obvious go to choice - something that will fit and provide a reasonable trade off between cost and power/longevity etc
im not planning on running loads of devices and hoping to fit a solar panel also if that helps.
its mainly the fit/ratings and quality I am looking for help with - the various rating are a bit of a nightmare.
thanks in advance.
Rob

My 2x130ah AGMs lasted just about 2 years. Despite 4 yr warranty and guaranteed 1500 cycles from a reputable seller.
I wouldn’t make the same mistake again, I’ve bought lithium from Roamer. Very well recommended and excellent service.

My original 75Ah AGM factory fit leisure battery is still going surprisingly strong after six years or so. I think it’s a bosch/varta? Leoch tend to be recommended too? I think any reasonable brand will be fine. Measure up carefully though, making sure it actually fits where you want it is the main thing!

I say go lithium all day long.

More info.

(Don't forget your battery monitoring too)

And for solar.....

Start over here.

My 2x130ah AGMs lasted just about 2 years. Despite 4 yr warranty and guaranteed 1500 cycles from a reputable seller.
I wouldn’t make the same mistake again, I’ve bought lithium from Roamer. Very well recommended and excellent service.
Did they warranty your faulty batteries?

I’m waiting delivery of a Roamer 230 underseat battery, it was a preorder.

I’ll make a claim when I swap them over.
I bought the two Leoch AGM batteries from Alpha, both good known brands.

Im not expecting any issue, although they’ll probably insist on pro rata.
Thats what Im running from the same company so will be interesting to see how their warranty pans out. Thanks for letting me know.

My original 75Ah AGM factory fit leisure battery is still going surprisingly strong after six years or so. I think it’s a bosch/varta? Leoch tend to be recommended too? I think any reasonable brand will be fine. Measure up carefully though, making sure it actually fits where you want it is the main thi

My original 75Ah AGM factory fit leisure battery is still going surprisingly strong after six years or so. I think it’s a bosch/varta? Leoch tend to be recommended too? I think any reasonable brand will be fine. Measure up carefully though, making sure it actually fits where you want it is the main thing!
I still have my original factory fitted Varta AGM leisure battery. 2018. Still holding full charge and working well.

Go Lithium, I have a Renogy under the driver seat , we use a compressor fridge , lights ,electric blanket , charge phones ext and we hardly put a dent in it . Top kit

I have 2x Odyssey Extreme batteries, underslung and exposed to the elements. Now well over 4 years service and no sign of them starting to fail yet.
In the 4 years I haven’t even inspected them, out of sight, out of mind.

Thanks for all the responses. I went for the leoch extreme suggested above. I want something that will fit under the seat and I this this should fit my needs quite well I hope.
For a bonus point - I am planning to add a solar panel - I have the ctek 250se - I believe I can connect the panel directly to the ctek without the need for a separate solar charge connector - is that correct?
Thanks again.

Thanks for all the responses. I went for the leoch extreme suggested above. I want something that will fit under the seat and I this this should fit my needs quite well I hope.
For a bonus point - I am planning to add a solar panel - I have the ctek 250se - I believe I can connect the panel directly to the ctek without the need for a separate solar charge connector - is that correct?
Thanks again.

You can, as long as the maximum voltage produced by the panel is below the limit specified by the CTEK, otherwise you will damage the CTEK.

Thanks again.
Yes that's correct. Just make sure the panel you choose has a VOC (open circuit voltage) that's lower than the CTEK which i think is 23v

Back