Leaky roof rail and what happened next...

T

Thogg

So... I had a leaky roof rail drivers side front was the offending fixing. Booked it in to my dealer along with my best upset and offended face. They have refitted it and as a result of the "water damage" I am having a new cab carpet and underlay and a new Kombi floor. Hopefully that'll be the end of dealer visits now. I've been the registered keeper of my van for 5 weeks and actually been able to drive it for about 2! (Although I was away and slidepods had it for a couple of weeks.. )
I have to say that the dealership have been pretty good on this occasion. Whilst it's been in for work I have had the use of a 66 plate LWB 140 Kombi. It's not my shiny lined out quiet van but it's wheels and it's actually a pretty nice trendline.

New kombi floor ? Thought you had new altro flooring, I had a leak on my passenger side roof rail took the dealer 2 months to come out to me due to them being in South Wales and me in Shropshire.
And that was only because I sent a crappy email to head of department saying I felt that they had my money and didn't want to sort it out and was going to send them the bill for independent fitter to fix.
By miracle they had a fitter with me next day, think they put small bit of silicon to seal, but did say could of been door seal as had issues with them..

New kombi floor ? Thought you had new altro flooring, I had a leak on my passenger side roof rail took the dealer 2 months to come out to me due to them being in South Wales and me in Shropshire.
And that was only because I sent a crappy email to head of department saying I felt that they had my money and didn't want to sort it out and was going to send them the bill for independent fitter to fix.
By miracle they had a fitter with me next day, think they put small bit of silicon to seal, but did say could of been door seal as had issues with them..
Nope my flooring is all original. And brand new now! Sounds like I've done ok out of this encounter!

Nope my flooring is all original. And brand new now! Sounds like I've done ok out of this encounter!
Sorry I had you confused with commando83 another slidepods amazing conversions.
Sounds like you have done very well m8

My roof rails leaked too. I think it's not uncommon. I removed mine blogged a bit of silicone over the threads and remounted. Touch wood, dry as a bone now.

I'm glad to hear this is all sorted with a happy ending now. Its not exactly ideal having to seal stuff with silicone on these brand new vans. VW have generally done a good job of re-working the T5 chassis and upgrading appropriate parts. Personally I find the T6 much better to work on than the T5 but you would have thought they would have made a better job with the leaking sliding windows and the leaking roof bars (roof bars can be put down to fitter perhaps at times).

P.S I have already seen several T6 vans with leaking factory sliding windows which VW haven't upgraded from the T5 and they have been aware of the problem since 2004!

It's the threaded part of the roof that the bar bolts threads into, it's not a captive nut it's just a threaded hole which actually leads between the outer and inner skins. Bit daft really

Seems a little crack if they use rivnuts, they could have come up with a better idea with a captive nut that was sealed.

SOrry to come in on an old post - I fit myself some new roof bars last night from vanstyle. It all went well and I put foam stickers around the holes and managed to screw it all into place.

Would the advice be to put silicon in the holes or just leave it to see what happens. My has been carpet lined so naturally don't want anything bad to happen.

Cheers

Gareth

@Gareth Edmondson think your answer would be yes. Seal them in would be best the water will sit in the track the foam will break down over time there's been a lot of leaking roofs in here they have used sealant rubber washers or new sealed in studs is what they have done to stop the drips

looks nice and a shiny van to

Thanks Pal - sun was shining. What you cannot see is the scrapes on the roof where I misjudged a multistorey car park. Actually I didn't misjudge - the council had changed some of the wiring conduits on the ramps. So one week it was fine and then a few weeks later it was lower as I hit the climbing ramps.

Getting it sorted soon.

Wondering what else to do to the outside now that isn't expensive bumpers and splitters. Stickers next I think - but what to have.....

G

Back