Leaking windows, a new method of leakage!

VinylArchie

T6 Pro
So I decided to strip the sliding windows of my Kombi in an attempt to prevent the considerable leak that had been occurring. Anyway drainage channels were clear and it appeared the bonding along the plastic rail was failing so ran a bead of silicone in there. Giving the now removed sliding panel a clean I noticed what appeared to be rust breaking through the plastic at the top. The whole top of the frame was bubbling so much that the rubber seal was no longer being held in place. As an interim measure i bunged a bit of silicone behind the seal but I’m not hopeful that this will do much. Guess it’s going to be an expensive replacement. Can believe this would happen to a van that’s only about four years old. So much crap engineering in these vans. Despite that I’m going to replace with OEM windows but they will be the best maintained windows in the history of transporters.D18B4593-216B-4139-9B37-3299E1DDB0EE.jpeg413D38F1-41C5-46A3-A304-04C6BD98E0D4.jpeg2F396480-B28D-4FAC-9881-8C32F9C43EAA.jpeg

Quite common to have the top edge of the window unit corrode and warp like that.

Price wise, they aren't actually TOO expensive from VW..

I'm surprised and disappointed in equal measure, as I'm sure many others here will be. I would hope in this day and age that T6s come with paint and corrosion warranties. I've Googled 'VW corrosion warranty' and got this:

Factory Warranty Terms & Conditions | Volkswagen UK
www.volkswagen.co.uk › warranties › new-car-terms

All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first registration. The only preconditions are: ... The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external corrosion (rusting).

I would be looking to claim under this - and given how common leaking OEM windows appears to be, I think this could be a coordinated effort, along with EGR problems. :mad:

I suspect insufficient maintenance may include a missing or late Inspection Service, any excuse to wriggle out of a warranty job.

Relatively happy ending to this story. It was with some trepidation I phoned Manchester VW van parts to get a price on a new window. After being told that I "might want to sit down for this" I was quoted £600. Then the guy asks me do I want a full window or just the inner. Obviously I was delighted to hear you can buy them and although still nearly £200 it saves me having to get a new window fitted as well. Still won't be perfect as the bonding has failed in part on the lower plastic guide rail but I am happy to manage that conservatively with silicone as I'm sure a new full window will be pretty much the same. VW really should be ashamed of themselves.

Back