leaking roof rails

Hi all.
Any thoughts on the following -
My T6 van is less than a year old. It was a demonstrator.
I’ve fitted a Thule roof rack system for carrying items on the roof. In the Thule instructions it says to use silicone on the bolts that hold the feet onto the roof.
I didn’t bother with silicone because I was going to remove the roof rack after using it.
A few days later, I noticed a leak in the cargo area. Water was dripping through the vent in the cargo lining above both rear wheel arches. The lining is now swelling because of the leak.
I’m wondering if it’s because I didn’t use silicone on the roof rack foot bolts? I wouldn’t imagine though that there would be communication between the roof bolt holes and the interior.
So, is it because of not using silicone or is there for example a seal not installed properly in the rear wheel arches?
Thanks in advance.

3E09E088-ABBC-49E3-866E-61B2B7A398F9.jpeg

CEB50E8A-D928-4B7E-9A3B-0B6593CE492F.jpeg

I think you've answered your own question mate. The correlation between roof bars and water leaks are well reported on here if you look through the search box.

Welcome to the forum.

It will almost certainly be because you didn't seal the bolt holes. Water will find it's way through the minutest of gaps.

Thanks all.
I did wonder but assumed (to my cost) that the bolt holes wouldn’t be open ended but have a closed end or blank.
Time to get them off then and the cars bolts siliconed back in!

Yep, I took mine off and followed the brilliant advice on this forum.

I.e cut some s/s all thread and used roofing washers (screwfix) and nylon lock nuts to fix these into the roof. Then fixed the roof bars to these.

I have no idea how the pieces of foam the factory fitted ones have would ever stay water tight.

hi all

i seem to have a leak eminating from possibly the near side roof bar

when it rains, water pi55es out from the join between the trim on the seatbelt cover in the front passenger seat

question is, are the roof bars fitted from externally on the vehicle, or do i need to take the roof lining out from inside to access any fittings etc?

hopefully its a case of removing via external means, giving em a good dose of tigerseal or sika flex, letting it cure then retightening down?

any heads up appreciated

Quite a few threads on this, but yes, they are removed from the outside.
Once removed you will see where to put sealant and sealing washers.

Pete

Hello @jack454 , this is a common problem. They do fit from outside. You can do as you suggested but there is a way to do it without using sealer. Look up a thread on sealant free roof bar fitting and see what you think suits you best. I and many others have used it with success,good luck

Back