Leaking fixing bolts on drivers sliding door rail - VW known problem

Whitty

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Apologise if this is already a known issue but couldn't see anything when I searched.

Just had a leak fixed by VW that relates to the fixing bolts securing the drivers sliding door rail (2019 T6 Kombi). There are 4 bolts down the side of the van and appears that some haven't been tightened sufficiently during assembly allowing the potential for water to leak thru the hole. VW internal tech update was issued around April this year and calls for the bolts to be torqued in order to close the gap. Think they have also added some sealer as well.

I've had the leak since Nov 2019 but VW could never replicate. Also had intermittent issues with the operation of the sliding doors and turns out that these are caused by the leak. In my case it was the last bolt at the rear that sits just above the sliding door / tailgate control modules. Basically water has dripped down the wiring harness on to the control modules causing them to short. When they removed mine they where green with mold, so replaced along with the associated wiring harness.

Leak 1 DE19 XOD 12.01.20.JPG

Hi, I know my response is some time since this post but are you able to explain where these bolts are? Photos would be great.

I have a leaking sliding door, water getting into the door itself. I've posted a thread on here and someone referred me to this thread.
Mine's a 2019 panel van and I have a single sliding door on the passenger side

Images attached of where I've noticed the location of the water leak and an image of the actual leak from inside the door.

Thank you

IMG_20230130_155631.jpg

IMG_20230130_155857.jpg

Apologise if this is already a known issue but couldn't see anything when I searched.

Just had a leak fixed by VW that relates to the fixing bolts securing the drivers sliding door rail (2019 T6 Kombi). There are 4 bolts down the side of the van and appears that some haven't been tightened sufficiently during assembly allowing the potential for water to leak thru the hole. VW internal tech update was issued around April this year and calls for the bolts to be torqued in order to close the gap. Think they have also added some sealer as well.

I've had the leak since Nov 2019 but VW could never replicate. Also had intermittent issues with the operation of the sliding doors and turns out that these are caused by the leak. In my case it was the last bolt at the rear that sits just above the sliding door / tailgate control modules. Basically water has dripped down the wiring harness on to the control modules causing them to short. When they removed mine they where green with mold, so replaced along with the associated wiring harness.

View attachment 123708
Hi there,

Looks like you have a different issue as mine was inside the van rather than the door. It was in the back quarter of the drivers side rear wing. In short the bolts holding the sliding door rail hadn't been tightened correctly causing water to leak thru the bolt thread. Took it back several times and the couldn't replicate, till they eventually fixed it after it was issued on one of their technical updates.

Good luck in resolving....

Back