Large MPH display via dealer

Hilly64

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I know there are numerous posts on this but just looking for a very simple unequivocal explanation of how it can be done at a main dealers if indeed one exists. I have read posts where it is stated they won’t entertain changing the settings which if that be the case the following is irrelevant.

van is currently in at the stealers for crank case oil seal replacement and timing belt/water pump change being done at the same time. I have to say the experience has not been a pleasant one. I will detail that in another post when I eventually get the van back.

i have asked that whilst in the workshop the display can be changed to the large MPH digital display. I have read numerous posts around this being done with Carista but
a) can the main dealers do it
b) will they do it
c) are they likely to charge. (Hoping to get some goodwill if this exists having been royally messed around)

be good if I could say you need to go to x line on the programming and change y parameters ….. is it as simple as that?

any thoughts appreciated

In VCDS go to
17 Instruments
07 Coding
Long Coding Helper
in section 4 dropdown select 17 Australia.

Once coded, on the MFD you’ll see within Settings that ‘Alt. speed dis’ shows; untick and choose ‘back’.
Next go in to ‘MFD Data’ and scroll to ‘Digit. Speed’ - tick this box.
Then set the measuring units back to ‘MPG (GB) mi’. Choose ‘Units’ and you’ll find the MFD has defaulted to ‘l/100km km’. Select ‘MPG (GB) mi’ setting and you’re done. It’ll show up between average speed and instantaneous MPG (IIRC).

If you go to the continent, you can just pop the stick back in the box and you’ll get your KPH display back.

The computer said no ! Or or rather the main dealers tech said their software didn’t have capability to change to Australia

plan b required

Been looking at posts And see this option but don’t fully understand the concept.
VCDS is similar to what they’d use at the dealer, it being a dongle that plugs in / Bluetooth’s to a computer which, via a program, allows you to code different modules within your van. For the purposes of this comparison, it’s probably simpler to say that you can write raw data to the van this way.

Carista is a Bluetooth dongle that, via an app on your phone, allows you to code in pre-set data by simple bullet-point / drop-down options.
The options are limited but often relate to those most used, and unlike VCDS you’re unlikely to code in something that’ll cause you grief with the modules.

For the large MPG - along with some of the other changes - you could buy Carista and be done within 10 minutes.

is it a case of buying a plug/interface then an app with subscription ?
Yes, 12months app usage for £25.

Thanks Ads Essex

Ordered one from Amazon. Will give it a go. Like the idea of not being able to do any major damage.

can you do multiple vehicles during the trial?

do people tend to sign up for 12 months and cancel to get the one month trial make their changes and leave dongle in a drawer or is there value in sticking with it. At £25 per year it’s not a big outlay. Noted the DPF status might be of interest.

looking at the options to look to change at the main ones seem to be:
  • large MPH display
  • needle sweep
  • auto lock on moving
  • Auto Unlock on key removal
  • seat belt warning sound
I think I already have leaving and coming home lights ….. anything else worth looking at.

Last edited:
You can still read fault codes with Carista and reset them without a subscription. Just get one month subscription (included in purchase price) make the changes you need then cancel any future subscription, you can always take out another month’s subscription if required. You can also use Carista with the dpf app to monitor the state of your dpf - there’s a separate thread on here; search best dpf app

Thanks Ads Essex

Ordered one from Amazon. Will give it a go. Like the idea of not being able to do any major damage.

can you do multiple vehicles during the trial?

do people tend to sign up for 12 months and cancel to get the one month trial make their changes and leave dongle in a drawer or is there value in sticking with it. At £25 per year it’s not a big outlay. Noted the DPF status might be of interest.

looking at the options to look to change at the main ones seem to be:
  • large MPH display
  • needle sweep
  • auto lock on moving
  • Auto Unlock on key removal
  • seat belt warning sound
I think I already have leaving and coming home lights ….. anything else worth looking at.
As @jimc91 says, cancelling after buying should mean you’re still ok to use within the one month subscription. Same as the 12month - cancelling early (at least with Apple) means you can still use it but it doesn’t renew automatically.

And yes, you can use it on other vehicles without issue. I used it on my sisters’ Caddy whilst it was within the initial subscription.

Back