KombiKommando's Konversion to Kamper....

Needed to fit a lowering bracket on the hand brake. Looked on our lovely forum and got a good pointer for 'how to' from @Deaky so spurred on by my success with the resr seat brackets I cracked on..... heres how I did it....

For a before pic, take a look in your own van.... lol.

So, I removed the handbrake cover by using a flat head screw driver on the plastic catch underneath the lever. I spent ages trying to wiggle it off gently until I realised that a firm yank forwards is whats required! The lower cover simply pulls off. Until youre left with this:

20171203_110227.jpg

Next up is unscrew the 14mm bolts which hold the handbrake to the mount. The handbrake slips off easy. I left the auto-handbrake wire attached throughout with no dramas.

20171203_110725.jpg

Using the bolts supplied with the lowering bracket i bolted the handbrake assembly to the lowering bracket.

20171203_111821.jpg

The new lower bracket slip back into place on the original mount. A firm tap on the bottom of it got the two together nice and snug. Used original bolts to secure in place.

20171203_111915.jpg

There was a fair bit of play in the cable so i tightened the screw on the handbrake until it would tighten no more. It was still a fair bit to go so i slipped under my van with a 10mm spanner and got to work.

20171203_113202.jpg

This required a fair few turns until he cable was sorted.

A bit of modding for the covers was now required to make it all fit. This took the form of inch by inch measuring and cutting with a tiny hand saw followed by some use of sand paper. Its not neat enough for my liking though so im on the look out for a leather gaiter if anyone has any ideas????

The finished article.

20171203_123058.jpg

Probably an easy mod for y'all VDub veterans but I thought I'd show how I did it for future newbies!

UPDATE!!!!

Finally, we have put in enough over time to scrape together the funds for the units. Eventually chose Majestic Wood Designs. Ordering tomorrow!!!

Oh and I fitted the VanX black out screens as well.......:waving::mexican wave:

UPDATE!!!!

Finally, we have put in enough over time to scrape together the funds for the units. Eventually chose Majestic Wood Designs. Ordering tomorrow!!!

Oh and I fitted the VanX black out screens as well.......:waving::mexican wave:

Beautiful. The van will be ready in time for summer. Good times ahead

Well the van is done! (Less the pop top....) just got back from 5 days 4 nights wild camping in North Wales. Brilliant weather including the rain. My van brings a smile to my face every time I see it, drive it or use it. Met a few VDub peeps at a few over night wild spots. I must say, everyone is very friendly with a good balance of respecting people's need for peace and privacy. Well anyway, here's some pics of the van! Happy travels folks!! :smile bounce:

20180603_101924.jpg20180603_101924.jpg 20180603_102002.jpg 20180603_102048.jpg 20180528_151104.jpg 20180526_170728.jpg 20180528_083655.jpg

UPDATE!!

After months and months of saving (last time I posted was in June....) the van is going in for the final stage of work. A skyline roof with bed etc and an eberspacher night heater. So by this time next week, I will finally be satisfied that the van is fully off grid capable for a family of four..... fingers crossed everything goes ok! Happy Christmas peeps! :waving:

Here it is... all done and dusted. Must say I'm very very happy with the result of hard work by the lads that did the work. It's been a long journey of choosing, saving, final adjustments, save some more, a bit of luck...... we have been on tons of trips (20,000 miles in one year, not including daily use) adding improvements every time. So now it's finished (less A/T tyres and some subtle decals in the new year....). Love my 'Adventure Camper', bring on the Christmas trip!!!

20181220_212321.jpg

UPDATE!!

After months and months of saving (last time I posted was in June....) the van is going in for the final stage of work. A skyline roof with bed etc and an eberspacher night heater. So by this time next week, I will finally be satisfied that the van is fully off grid capable for a family of four..... fingers crossed everything goes ok! Happy Christmas peeps! :waving:

Hi, I have just been following your post from a few years ago - it started off with the Sportscraft swivel and handbrake lowering info request. Just wondering how have you got on with the swivels? Do you use your drivers swivel much- looked like you were short on swivel room? I have just purchased a SWB and I am setting off on a similar journey. Just wondering how you got on and how the handbrake finished off looking? Thanks for your posts and your tips. Rob

Back