KombiKommando's Konversion to Kamper....

KombiKommando

Dogger
T6 Guru
I thought I'd post the progress of the van. The story so far is we got the van in may this year. We always planned to convert to full camper, but are massively constrained by costs. Due to lack of a convienient rainbow with its famous pot of gold and the fact that the van is also our daily user, we are doing the conversion arse-about-face. ie: full interior then pop top. I fully understand the future implications of this but hey ho, there you go...... apart from cosmetics, the outside will remain the same although I will put some ATs on it as Im planning on going for the off road look. Maybe side decals and matt black badging.

All that said and done, heres my freshly soundproofed, insulated and carpeted, so, stage one complete!

20171017_162256.jpg

20171017_162239.jpg

20171017_162233.jpg

Hold on a minute!!!!

These are T5 Highline alloys.... will they fit my T6???????

IMG-20171028-WA0001.jpg

(This is a serious question! Before I spend my limited and hard earned cash!)

Last edited:
Fitment is the same for T5 and T6
You’d think that but I brought some genuine original 6 spoke sportline wheels. They wouldn’t fit directly onto my van (T32 if that makes a difference). I had to put some 5mm spacers on to stop the wheels rubbing on the calipers.

You’d think that but I brought some genuine original 6 spoke sportline wheels. They wouldn’t fit directly onto my van (T32 if that makes a difference). I had to put some 5mm spacers on to stop the wheels rubbing on the calipers.

They're off a T5 T30 and my van is a T6 T30.

Good point there, 16" inch wheels won't fit a van with the larger brakes fitted

Should do, you won't have bigger brakes on that unless specced and paid for on factory order as an extra

Its late. My new RnR bed and captains seats go in tomorrow........

I've just spent 3.5 hours removing the rear bench seat and the mounting brackets. Blimey. Im not a mechanic. I've never so much as changed a filter on a car before in my life. So to start having to climb under my van in the dark to undo bolts, lower the fuel tank, undo the hand brake cable, remove heat guards and bits of plastic before i could even get to the bolts for the seat mounting brackets was daunting to say the least.

Im not one for 'whats ifs?'. Do it once, do it right. I had to take my time. My fuel tank is just under half full and id read that its best to have it near empty for this job. No time for that. Went to B&Q. Got three 10mm threaded bars. Wing nuts. Washers. Undid one bolt on the fuel tank at a time. Replace bolt with my threaded bar. Once all three were in place i lowered the fuel tank one bar at a time inch by inch until i could just squeeze my hand in with the wrench thingy. Managed to remove all the bolts from under the fuel tank by taking it really slow and being very methodical. Filled holes with rubber grommets and sealant. Raised fuel tank to correct position in reverse order.

Next was the othr bracket. Put the van in gear. Enlisted help of a neighbour. He showed me how to disconnect the hand brake cable. I undid the rear and of side bolts of the heat guard and bit of plastic. Unbolted the bit that holds the middle bix on the exhaust. Used my hands to ever so gently bend down the heat guard until i could squeeze my hand in and reach the rearward bolts. Removed them. Shuffled forward a bit and very, very slowly pulled the heat guard down just a bit more. Realised my tiny hands could also reach the frontwards bolts which were rifht above the exhaust box. Removed bolts and bracket. Used rubber grommets and sealant.

Pushed the heat guard back up into place. Replaced all screws and those metal tuny disc thingys. Neighbour told me how to reconnect the hand brake cable correctly and test it.

We shared a beer. Im freezing. My head is killing me. First ever bit of mechanic work done. Well chuffed.

Back