Kombi Advice

Thanks Pauly, could be a shrewd move to get factory fit if can stretch

mmi, quite a difference by those figures, especially for tired old eyes, cheers

Hi @Tommy,
Well just to throw a spanner in the works. I have H7 lights on mine and I much prefer the look against LED's especially the daytime running lights. Anyone with H7's will tell you they work very well at night and anyone with the standard H4's will tell you they are rubbish at night.

I also have the 204, I am still a bit of a speed merchant (Even at 51) but I think its the best engine by far as this is a big vehicle and that extra power can be very handy when needed.

If it was me, I would go with H7 lights and the money saved would spend on getting a 204.

Can't comment on how well the app connect works for sat nav as mine has factory but used the Apple connect in a Mustang recently for 2 weeks whilst touring Florida and that worked very well.

Comfort dash is also a must.

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks Mfwic

Thats an interesting spanner you've just thrown into the works and certainly got me thinking, a possible option to initially trim budget to then allow other considerations, as said do like the thought of have extra torque on tap if required (certainly no speed merchant here, at 57 and many miles covered with work over the years makes you a tad wiser - I think)

Still trying to get my phone to connect to radio but struggling somehow, app connect is in place - got it to connect initially last week whilst sat in van then ever since nothing :(

DA
Sent you PM as not sure these things are discussed openly, but others please confirm if I'm wrong

I have car play and factory sat nav. The sat nav displays on the driver screen, the car play only on the radio display.

I have LEDs, factory tow bar and power latching.
I’d do without power latching and get a removable tow bar (I bought an ex demo)

If I could add anything, it would be the comfort dash. The storage pockets are odd sizes.

Thanks RA, comfort dash noted and as Mfwic also suggested, looked on the brochure and does seem to add a nice difference, more equations to think about and buttons to press on the calculator, going to need a bigger calculator at this rate :)

Just had a test drive in the 150ps/204ps versions. First was the 150ps which was T30 Kombi manual drive, was a very smooth ride, loved the higher ride position compared to Caddy and single seat as passenger was nice touch. Power was ok with just enough to pull away (overtaking) whilst cruising along at 65/70mph, think anything less would mean up/down the gearbox. Surprised how quite it was inside the cab, 2nd was 204ps T32 Transporter which had bench seats front and bulkhead behind. Seating position was not as comfortable, maybe seat needed adjusting maybe because there was a bulkhead behind so not sure, ride was a little lumpy but nothing onerous. The g/box was DSG which was initially strange driving out of the garage. Amazed how smooth the changes up/down were, got onto some open road and putting foot down from 65mph, well plenty on tap, drove back using the manual shift and again was surprised how easy and relaxing it was. Not sure how DSG would be when trailer reversing or wether no difference from manual but overall impressed. Decision time now, do fancy a manual but sales guy said 204ps engine in manual was being deleted from the range of options available with only 150ps available manaul

PS Both had normal dash and saw the comfort dash in the showroom and agree much nicer altogether

I'd go for DSG any day of the week mate. I also find the 150 more than enough power. Remember a remap can be had for much less than the factory 204 price increase, although I believe you do get a different turbo, intercooler and other gubbins from the factory.

Think the bulkhead cramps up the cab somewhat.
If yer lanky like me it creates a problem.
Comfort dash is a definite imo.
I'm not sure if the electric folding mirrors are standard on the 204 but if you can stretch I'd pick them and the adaptive LEDs.
Just my two pennith;)

Lukavell: Must say was impressed by the DSG, wasn't expecting it to be as smooth a power delivery, are these DSG g/box's tried and tested over time as this van will be a long term keeper for me and could probably live with a 150ps if being honest

DL: My thoughts too was a cramp feeling as 6' myself and old tired legs better off stretched as possible when driving, was told you can have bulkhead on Kombi but doesn't appeal to me also leaning more towards LED's as well although changing bulbs to H7's has been mentioned as a good upgrade option

So many things to decide and try and get right first time :(

It's a minefield mate,think your a Couple of steps nearer tho.
Check out if there's any freebies in with the 204.seem to remember that you get extras as standard, don't quote me tho lol

DL: thanks thats interesting, will look closer but not hold breath as nobody seems to give ought away these days :)

I had the same dilemma when I was in the process of ordering mine, in the end I went for the 150PS DSG and the money saved I blew on LED's :) Figured I have a motorbike with a dyno'd 170 bhp, figured 204PS in a 3 tonne van wouldn't have the same rush so may as well get the 'steady Eddie' version and be able to see where I'm going in it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Must admit,i got I a shock when it spun the tyres up.my mate has the 150 an he's happy with it like

150 is plenty enough pull, don't bother with sat nav (I use googles maps off phone and it connects via Bluetooth and I get the voice commands just like regular sat nab etc!) and have LEDs!

Welcome Tommy, i went for the 204 DSG, 6.33 composition media £360 and just use your phone for the apps, but you will have to add app connect £135, LED lights are a must £1,480 Comfort dash makes if feel more like a car £410, these are list prices so you should arm wrestle 11-13% discount on a spanking brand new tub, welcome to the bottom less pit :thumbsup:

Buggirl: seriously considering no sat nav, actually got iPhone to work on Caddy this week (phone reset) and actually works a treat, the display is easier to see but no pinch and zoom and no directions shown above steering wheel but could probably live with that :)

Bryan1971: think somebody said earlier that the 6.33 screen was as good as media screen for resolution and as above got phone and radio to speak together so was well impressed with quality. Didn't realise options could be negotiable to a discount, thought they were set in stone so thats a reassuring possible bonus to be had - thanks :)

Back