Kombi Advice

Tommy

T6 Guru
Hi all

New to the forum and looking for some Kombi advice. Have Caddy maxi at present but always fancied a Kombi but circumstances prevented that previously, however ready to bit the bullet and upgrade to Kombi Highline. Had quotes for 150ps and 204ps and reasonably happy with, however when you come to options its easy to get carried away and mind blowing how the price spirals upwards :(

Fancy the 204ps (am I correct in saying they are near identical in mpg consumption) The extras i'd like are, sat nav, app connect, single swivel seats, power folding mirrors, reverse camera and metallic (there is roughy a 2k price difference between 150ps/204ps engines).

Reading through the forum seems like LED lights is the way to go, now I could stretch (big stretch at that) but was thinking maybe do away with sat nav option. My Caddy has sat nav which I find very good but has anyone used and relied on smartphone sat nav with not having the VW sat nav installed and if so was it more of a pain than its worth

One last thing, i'd like a tow bar fitted someday, is this an easy option to fit at a later date and have I missed anything else to possibly consider prior to pre ordering?

Thanks in advance

Forgot to say, manual g/box (never tried DSG but guess it adds a bigger chunk to the bottom line anyway)

I have the 204 and it is quick ,but if you want to set off from a junction fast it just wheel spins .I think I would go for 150 and get the leds
Also I would get factory fitted detachable tow bar .or if not get tow bar prep .

Thanks carlg that is food for thought and some sense in what you say. I'm not a speed demon but like the idea of the extra torque available on tap. I was supposed to try both the 150/204 today but the garage couldn't get the 204 so need to find somewhere this weekend as I need to decide which route to go

PukkaT6, always had a company truck for years which had built in sat nav so never experienced using a phone, I'm now self employed so having to fend for myself now - guess been spoilt over the years

Don't mind the overall outlay for this van as it will be a keeper and one day have a dream of maybe trying some touring around and even sleeping in it :)

If you get app connect you can use maps from your phone on the vans screen. I did that to enable me to invest in Other stuff like LED, folding mirrors, heated swivel seats, power latching. If the van is a keeper you'll regret leaving stuff off that you may pay more to get retrofitted in future

Hi all

New to the forum and looking for some Kombi advice. Have Caddy maxi at present but always fancied a Kombi but circumstances prevented that previously, however ready to bit the bullet and upgrade to Kombi Highline. Had quotes for 150ps and 204ps and reasonably happy with, however when you come to options its easy to get carried away and mind blowing how the price spirals upwards :(

Fancy the 204ps (am I correct in saying they are near identical in mpg consumption) The extras i'd like are, sat nav, app connect, single swivel seats, power folding mirrors, reverse camera and metallic (there is roughy a 2k price difference between 150ps/204ps engines).

Reading through the forum seems like LED lights is the way to go, now I could stretch (big stretch at that) but was thinking maybe do away with sat nav option. My Caddy has sat nav which I find very good but has anyone used and relied on smartphone sat nav with not having the VW sat nav installed and if so was it more of a pain than its worth

One last thing, i'd like a tow bar fitted someday, is this an easy option to fit at a later date and have I missed anything else to possibly consider prior to pre ordering?

Thanks in advance

Forgot to say, manual g/box (never tried DSG but guess it adds a bigger chunk to the bottom line anyway)
Got the 150 dsg led swivel seats soft close side and tail sat nav comfort dash power folding mirrors rev cam, metallic paint. One thing I wished I had got factory fit was detachable tow bar. Looked at after market but worried could void warranty plus screw up electrics :(

Tellmewhatsnew

Funny you should mention this, tried the other week to connect my phone to van but wouldn't accept so gave up after 5 mins, was going to mention to the VW dealer when in for test drive of Kombi - is smaller screen unit ok for viewing or is there not much difference in size

VWROBERT

Sounds nice setup, does the after market tow bar require major rewire or it it a case of plugging into a port/socket at the backend somewhere?

If I could change one thing that would be to have 3 single rear seats. LED lights well worth the money.

I have a 140, which is fine for me. I had a 204 whilst mine was being serviced, which was fun and very quick, but tbh would rather have a 150 with LED highlights. Factory sat nav works well. I use a phone in my works van, but prefer having factory fit in the T6.

Dino

Would also like 3 singles in rear myself but told could only have 2 and 1, liked the idea of taking 2 out then being able to get mx bike in from time to time :(

DaveBos

My Caddy is 140, albeit smaller van but lots of torque, as soon as can fathom how to connect phone to van radio will try my smartphone for a couple of days and see if we bond or not. Sounding like LED's are a must have option

Gotta have the LED lights , it was a must have for me and worth every penny in my eyes , I have the 150 manual Kombi and don’t feel I need more power

Tellmewhatsnew

Funny you should mention this, tried the other week to connect my phone to van but wouldn't accept so gave up after 5 mins, was going to mention to the VW dealer when in for test drive of Kombi - is smaller screen unit ok for viewing or is there not much difference in size
I got mine with 6.3 inch screen and it works well, about half the price of sat nav. I also use my phone through it and play music from Spotify. I wouldn't be without it

B19DRG

Yes looking forward to comparing 150/204 back to back - noticed the 2018 Caddy Highline comes with sat nav as standard now

Tellmewhatsnew

Yes agree, think I wouldn't like to go smaller screen than what have in Caddy, can just about see it without glasses on, for now :) also guess a phone could be sat closer to the driving position making it easier again albeit I do also like the smaller read out of sat nav that sits in-between speedo/rev counter

VWROBERT

Sounds nice setup, does the after market tow bar require major rewire or it it a case of plugging into a port/socket at the backend somewhere?
Well some of the guys on her told me it is a big job and coded vw wiring must be used to ensure the cam/ censors are not effected when towing. I am so annoyed I did not add this to my factory fit options as the cost were minimal.

VWROBERT

Found a price of £234 for tow bar preparation, does this mean wiring to rear end of vehicle in factory also as in what you regretted not having done

Towbar prep gives you cabling into rear quarter panel ready for the towbar to be connected too

- is smaller screen unit ok for viewing or is there not much difference in size
The thing that made me to select bigger screen was a lot better screen resolution that comes with bigger screen.
Composition Colour (5") 400x200 pixels.
Composition Media (6.33") 800x480 pixels.

Edit: Reference document The T6 Infotainment & Car-Net SSP-562 pages 5-6.

Last edited:
Back