Knowing your s**t or knowing you're s**t

Jlo

SixPointOne
T6 Guru
I can't be the only one who gets super wound up inside seeing the constant misuse of "your" and "you're"... Maybe I'm getting old and getting intolerant of others :oops: maybe I need more important things to worry about, maybe it's been drummed into me from an (corrected a to an, thanks for pointing it out... I always look to better my communication) ex English teacher mum... Either way, I've said it now!

Your: implies possession
You're: You are

Rant over.... Sorry!

Edit: I should probably state that this post wasn't actually triggered by this forum, it was actually Facebook posts from friends etc.

Last edited:
Weather, whether and wether. Most people dont know the last one is a castrated ram!

I was rubbish at English at school but am now more interested in words and language. I try and be accurate but wouldn't pick others up on their mistakes.

Anyway, every forum needs grammar police!

Ian

Being dyslexic I don’t really put it high on life’s agenda tbh, i maybe chastised for this comment but I do find it slightly offensive some people don’t know or care really,

No offence intended to anyone.. I struggled myself with reading and writing at school for a long time so I certainly don't want to upset anyone who has dyslexia.

I can't be the only one who gets super wound up inside seeing the constant misuse of "your" and "you're"... Maybe I'm getting old and getting intolerant of others :oops: maybe I need more important things to worry about, maybe it's been drummed into me from a ex English teacher mum... Either way, I've said it now!

Your: implies possession
You're: You are

Rant over.... Sorry!
I’m no book worm or dictionary, but shouldn’t that read ‘from an ex English teacher’?

Agreed. Seems so much more common in the younger generation ie my 19 year old son

do I sound old now......,

Brakes, not breaks !

And on cycling forums, it’s puncture, not puncher.

And relax .....

Pete

Agreed. Seems so much more common in the younger generation ie my 19 year old son

do I sound old now......,

My son is only 12 but I hope he's samrter than his dad was at his age.. Just need to stop the "like"... I was like... he was like...

I try to ignore stuff on here, it's a forum site. What I can't handle is the so-called journalists getting it wrong all the time... :mad:
And that's everyone from the Guardian down to the idiot rags :mad::mad::mad:
And dont get me started on the new age idiot bloggers who probably couldn't hack it at school but think it's acceptable to mis-spell everything and call it "street". IDIOTS!

[Deep breaths... Calm... Open the van door, breathe....]

Back