Kind Of A Ticking Chain Noise.

Andy Power

T6 Pro
i can hear a kind of 'ticking' noise a bit like a chain sound, mainly in low gears and disappears when I change to 4th 5th or 6th.
Also the sound stops when I dip the clutch it winds down. It's not loud but I can hear it.
Been back to the dealers twice and both times they said that they can't hear any noise.
A friend who was sat in the passanger seat noticed it and asked what that noise was - so I know it's not my imagination.....
Anyone else get this noise?

I feel the dealer fobbed me off also, they said they couldn't hear anything - as soon as I got back in the van I could hear it - they listened and said they couldn't ????

Im in talks with VWFS to get rid! I have never had so much trouble with a van. Dealer cannot diagnose faults even when the van gets delivered back to them on a transporter. If it helps you ill send you a link to my youtube, had to upload there after playing we can't view the video games by the main dealer. they had the van for 6 days last time and have made it worse... but it was definitely a diesel pressure sensor this time!

Also the loan van they gave me identical model and engine, didn't make any of the noises! but the answers i got were they must of changed stuff on that one? mines a 66 thats a 67?

I have the same noise 2016 model 150hp diesel. Think i’ll just drive the heck of it and claim warranty in 3 years time

Reactions: mmi
Im in talks with VWFS to get rid! I have never had so much trouble with a van. Dealer cannot diagnose faults even when the van gets delivered back to them on a transporter. If it helps you ill send you a link to my youtube, had to upload there after playing we can't view the video games by the main dealer. they had the van for 6 days last time and have made it worse... but it was definitely a diesel pressure sensor this time!

Yes please

I have the same noise 2016 model 150hp diesel. Think i’ll just drive the heck of it and claim warranty in 3 years time

You are getting a 'ticking' noise also? Sometimes it's quit loud particularly from a cold start, other times it's not there at all.
When it is there it sounds like it winds down (slows to nothing) when I depress the clutch and then comes back when I engage the next gear and let the clutch back up?
The garage had it for two days and said they couldn't hear anything.

I bought the van in August last year it's a Dec 2016 so I guess I still have nearly two years warrenty left.

If the noise goes when you press the clutch it does point towards the gearbox/clutch. As it is only certain gears, that then points towards the gearbox. These 6 speed gearboxes are a really good design to get them compact using one input shaft and three output shafts. Looking at VW Self Study Programme 320, output shaft 1 is used for R, 1 & 2, then output shaft 2 is used for 3, 4, 5 & 6. If the noise went away once you had moved to output shaft 2 then it does give the VW Techs something to focus on.

I must admit my first thoughts were for a noisy hydraulic tappet. It's something my E5 140 does from time to time, usually when very cold and the engine has not been started for a couple of days.

If the noise goes when you press the clutch it does point towards the gearbox/clutch. As it is only certain gears, that then points towards the gearbox. These 6 speed gearboxes are a really good design to get them compact using one input shaft and three output shafts. Looking at VW Self Study Programme 320, output shaft 1 is used for R, 1 & 2, then output shaft 2 is used for 3, 4, 5 & 6. If the noise went away once you had moved to output shaft 2 then it does give the VW Techs something to focus on.

I must admit my first thoughts were for a noisy hydraulic tappet. It's something my E5 140 does from time to time, usually when very cold and the engine has not been started for a couple of days.

Just been out and the noise is there when I'm in 1st, 2nd & 3rd but seems to go from 4th onward.
Just put it in the garage and took it out of gear then revved the engine and the noise is still there - so I guess that would eliminate the gearbox....

Fairly sure it will be a hydraulic tappet then. Like I said in the previous post, mine does it from time to time but it's something I'm happy to live with rather than have a VW tech inside the engine, disturbing lots of things that could cause problems outside of the warranty period.

Fairly sure it will be a hydraulic tappet then. Like I said in the previous post, mine does it from time to time but it's something I'm happy to live with rather than have a VW tech inside the engine, disturbing lots of things that could cause problems outside of the warranty period.

So is this nothing to worry about then? is it not worth reporting and getting 'fixed'? - can you guess that I know nothing about these things :)

If you could record it I'll be able to confirm if it is a hydraulic tappet.

Mine only does it for about 20 seconds and maybe once or twice a month in the cold conditions so I'm more than happy to live with it. I bet if VW heard it they would say 'it's a characteristic of the engine' and send you on your way anyway.

Mine is a DSG. The rattling/clattering/ticking noise is not very audible when engine is running with low load. I hear It more clearly going up hills or accelerating. Today i could hear it very clear during regen... maybe a manifold leak or pre-ignition / pinging noise. I really have no idea.

Mine is a DSG. The rattling/clattering/ticking noise is not very audible when engine is running with low load. I hear It more clearly going up hills or accelerating. Today i could hear it very clear during regen... maybe a manifold leak or pre-ignition / pinging noise. I really have no idea.

The fuel injection timing is changed during a regen to increase the exhaust temperature so the engines do sound different, particularly in the operating conditions you mention.

The fuel injection timing is changed during a regen to increase the exhaust temperature so the engines do sound different, particularly in the operating conditions you mention.
So, if the timing is set wrong IT will only be worse during regen? Maybe I shall send a report or at least borrow another t6 to compare

Just to clarify: when you take your foot off the accelerator - also the noise goes away?

Back