Kenwood wont turn off, steering wheel controls don't work

Unclebob

Australian member
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

I just bought a kenwood DMX7522DABS and after some faffing about getting the shop to give me the correct harness/infotainment adaptor (mostly, still waiting on the OEM reverse cam retention harness), I have a unit that... Has some basic function. Unfortunately it doesn't turn off when I turn the car off, and the steering wheel controls don't work either.

Here's the assorted harnesses wired up to the head unit. Have I done anything wrong here? It all went together pretty easily. The only modifications I've made are on the kenwood unit, crimping bullet connectors to mute (both sides were female) and reverse (no connector attached). The speed pulse cable (pink) was cut/damaged at the end but it's unused so I just covered it with some electrical tape. At least some of this stuff appears like it may have been used before (sticky residue, the cut/damaged speed pulse) which I don't really care about, but I'm suspecting a faulty infotainment adaptor unit. I've tried resetting the infotainment adaptor which didn't have any effect, not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?

PXL_20230616_021242734.jpg

I was also told I need one of these voltage stabilizers but AFAIK this is supposed to prevent the unit turning OFF when stop/start kicks in... The previous (stock) unit didn't have any issues so I'm not convinced it should be required unless it's drawing significantly more power which I doubt. My understanding is the infotainment unit generates an "ignition" signal from the CANBUS signalling.
PXL_20230616_023119501.jpg

This morning's investigations:
Yellow is supposed to be direct 12v,red is supposed to be ignition, but red is +12v regardless of key in/out, ignition on/acc/off
PXL_20230617_020705232~2.jpg

There's another connector that's unlabeled in the manual, does anybody know what this is for?
PXL_20230617_020950292~2.jpg
A regulated +5v is handy to know about, not sure how much power draw it can handle though.

I think I've figured it out, looks like I've got the infotainment adaptor for the T6.1, not the T6!

Time for more waiting around for parts *sigh*

What’s the part number of that connects2 infoadapter.. ?
It's a "rebranded" connects2 (except they left the brand on there...) Aerpro | First Choice - here's the label but it looks like there's another sticker underneath so this might not line up with the original part numbers
PXL_20230618_004236926.jpg
I think I need a Aerpro | First Choice which I think is the same as CTUVW03 (based on comparison of the the manuals)

One more mystery solved - the extra 4 pin connector appears to be for reprogramming the device and is useless for customers as the USB adaptor cable is only sold to dealers.

It does indeed look like its for the T6.1 , you need the CTUVW03 version that is the 04 version

It does indeed look like its for the T6.1 , you need the CTUVW03 version that is the 04 version
Got the replacement part installed today and it just worked immediately, no need for programming steering wheel controls or anything :)

Back