Keeping the pop-top warm

GoatBoater

Senior Nerd
T6 Guru
I'm looking at options for insulating the pop-top when camping spring/autumn. There seems to be two main routes open and I'm not really leaning one way or another at the moment. My thoughts on each below. I'd love to hear any thoughts or experiences from others:

Option 1 : Exterior wrap-around style
Example: Rainbow Screens
Advantages: Exterior, so no condensation problems, window to let some light in

Option 2 : Interior insulated panels
Most seem to be home-made and held in place internaly with velcro
Advantages: Cheap, easier to put up/down, goes away dry, easier to store

Any other input welcomed. Thanks.

I'm looking at options for insulating the pop-top when camping spring/autumn. There seems to be two main routes open and I'm not really leaning one way or another at the moment. My thoughts on each below. I'd love to hear any thoughts or experiences from others:

Option 1 : Exterior wrap-around style
Example: Rainbow Screens
Advantages: Exterior, so no condensation problems, window to let some light in

Option 2 : Interior insulated panels
Most seem to be home-made and held in place internaly with velcro
Advantages: Cheap, easier to put up/down, goes away dry, easier to store

Any other input welcomed. Thanks.
@NYorksT6 has recently purchased the Rainbow Screens wrap - not sure if they have used it yet though.

We have used our pop-top year round without a wrap but do have the heater running on low all night in winter - pop top definitely a lot colder than lower bed. If it was us sleeping up there I'm sure we'd also be looking for something but we just give Josh the choice of his thick or thin sleeping bags depending on the expected temperature - so far, with temps down as low as minus 4, he has not woken up complaining of being cold.

that's promising. Looking to pick up a small heater, so maybe I'll hold back and see how much the kids moan!

Duvaly topper
Winter weight duvet.
Hot water bottles x 2
Thick socks.
Winter jimjams.
Oil filled electric radiator when on hook up.

.....and a cuddle!! ......if we haven't fallen out over the day map reading and site set up!!

Actually have been considering the wrap around too!

Theres the external overall cover too, recently posted on here by Ewan: Link

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the Rainbow front thermal screen, it's awesome. I was going to buy the pop thermal from Rainbow as well but as we don't sleep up there and our Wallace Duo heater is so blooming good even down to -4 with the pop top up and the bed down it's toastie. Off up to the Isle of Lewis in March, decision to make as it will be cold and Windy so maybe it would be a good idea to get one.

Back