Keeping as standard as possible

Buggirl

DJ VdubRadio
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So after lowering every VW I have owned, adding bits on and taking bits off, I keep looking at mods for T6, but every time I think oh yeh that would look good, I look at mine and just can't do it! I think VW have perfected the transporter to the point that I am so happy with how it looks that I just can't change anything (other than putting stickers on a gen six badges). I really find it perfect! What's happened, will my T6 remain standard?...... I think there is a big chance it will!
I was at a VW show a few weeks back and some friends and I were sat chilling and out of the rows of lowered vans drives a stock height splitty and we all just froze to the spot! When it had driven past we all looked at each other and commented on what a rare sight and how awesome it looked................hmmmmm

You must be getting old @Buggirl :whistle:;)

However I must admit I am not a fan of T6's slammed to the ground. My 30mm standard drop is perfect for me.

I think you are right Buggirl, T6's do look good as standard. And anyway if you want to be down with the kids,you don't have to do much, my two sons have told me please DAD don't bling this van too much,just lower and different wheels. Kids aye

I must be getting old yes
I am 37 next month so very possible! I am very much in love with my van! Just as she is! Can't wait to see all the modded ones though, just not mine!
Not even fully converting her. I am panicking at the moment though as I am in the hairdressers and had to park the van in a less than favouable space eeeeekkkk!:eek:

So after lowering every VW I have owned, adding bits on and taking bits off, I keep looking at mods for T6, but every time I think oh yeh that would look good, I look at mine and just can't do it! I think VW have perfected the transporter to the point that I am so happy with how it looks that I just can't change anything (other than putting stickers on a gen six badges). I really find it perfect! What's happened, will my T6 remain standard?...... I think there is a big chance it will!
I was at a VW show a few weeks back and some friends and I were sat chilling and out of the rows of lowered vans drives a stock height splitty and we all just froze to the spot! When it had driven past we all looked at each other and commented on what a rare sight and how awesome it looked................hmmmmm

I know exactly what you are saying,
I don't want mine to be like every other;
but I want it to look factory/oem.
I want to just tweak it a little; yet I don't want it to be obvious what I've done.
Just a subtle fettle here and there; to personalise the design of a masterpiece.

My list of stealth things are:
-Tyres swapped from 235/55/17 to 235/60/17 - you don't notice hardly, but the wheel/arch relationship is just a bit sweeter, just looks a bit more designed
-20mm drop, comes as standard with caravelle and DCC
-25mm wheel spacers all round, now the tyres outer edge sit nearer to a 255 tyre, but without the wide tyre look
-Bumper protector, well goes without saying, but lots of SUV's would have that built in, so doesn't look like an extra
-Pressed metal Plates with the nasty plastic surround(on the rear one only):rofl:
-A couple of VW oem extra badges to the side of the van
-Wind deflectors VW German oem,
-Upgraded speakers to the front with an amp (all hidden from view)
-Inverter for running 240v bits (hidden)

Form v's Function in total harmony:):):):)

I'm all for the oem+ look. That's the look I have gone for on my Honda prelude.

I'm not a fan of any german car really, I would never go out of my way to own one. Much prefer jap cars but the transporter is company policy and it's bloody good.

But oem sucks when it comes to german cars most of the time. I'm modifying mine the hour I pick it up. Got everything ready, from wheels, body kit to suspension and brakes and full audio.

Each to their own.

I know exactly what you are saying,
I don't want mine to be like every other;
but I want it to look factory/oem.
I want to just tweak it a little; yet I don't want it to be obvious what I've done.
Just a subtle fettle here and there; to personalise the design of a masterpiece.

My list of stealth things are:
-Tyres swapped from 235/55/17 to 235/60/17 - you don't notice hardly, but the wheel/arch relationship is just a bit sweeter, just looks a bit more designed
-20mm drop, comes as standard with caravelle and DCC
-25mm wheel spacers all round, now the tyres outer edge sit nearer to a 255 tyre, but without the wide tyre look
-Bumper protector, well goes without saying, but lots of SUV's would have that built in, so doesn't look like an extra
-Pressed metal Plates with the nasty plastic surround(on the rear one only):rofl:
-A couple of VW oem extra badges to the side of the van
-Wind deflectors VW German oem,
-Upgraded speakers to the front with an amp (all hidden from view)
-Inverter for running 240v bits (hidden)

Form v's Function in total harmony:):):):)

Totally with you on these mods! Awesome ideas! I have nasty plastic surrounds ready to go on when my private reg on pressed plates goes on! Going to be doing this when I get back off holiday. I will then be looking at getting lowered by 20mm and wind deflectors and done!

Totally with you on these mods! Awesome ideas! I have nasty plastic surrounds ready to go on when my private reg on pressed plates goes on! Going to be doing this when I get back off holiday. I will then be looking at getting lowered by 20mm and wind deflectors and done!

I have got my plates in the shed, will fit tomorrow hopefully. I think the rear defiantly needs the plastic surrounds (and will look very good on your white van). On the front, I will experiment, as the metal plates already have a black surround, that may be enough on the front. Might stick them on with blu-tac first before making a decission.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The only real issue I have with the OEM look is the wheels but not in the sense that you might think. From the side I actually like the Devonports but it's from the rear they let it down. The tyres are just to skinny (i think the are 215's) and really need in my opinion need to be 255 ish to give a better appearance both from the rear and fill out arches more which is the only reason I will be changing the alloys.

The only real issue I have with the OEM look is the wheels but not in the sense that you might think. From the side I actually like the Devonports but it's from the rear they let it down. The tyres are just to skinny (i think the are 215's) and really need in my opinion need to be 255 ish to give a better appearance both from the rear and fill out arches more which is the only reason I will be changing the alloys.

I've managed to address the filling out the wheel arches, bit without changing the wheels. From the rear the stance is improved with the 25mm wheel spacers (could be 40mm per side at rear if you wished. Mine are 235's so a bit wider than yours. If you fit 255/45/18's oem size, the diameter will not increase so you won't fill the arches, unless you drop it a bit on the suspension. But the 255's do look a bit more substantial from the rear, with that I cannot argue.:):)

Couldn't agree more Rob, that and the colour (I want black wheels) are the only reasons i have for changing the OEM wheels once mine arrives, as for what i'm replacing them with, it will probably just be Sportline ones from the T5

I am the same with the standard look ,I was going to put a front spoiler on but like others have said I think the front I fine
I will do some dash mods and centre console ,I think the dash just let's it down ,no the caravelle that's spot on .
Getting caravelle grill and chrome trim and a caravelle bumper protector.
Wheels can stay for now with winter coming.

It can easily be argued that 18" wheels are oem, the gen six vel has 18" as standard, and they are a brochure factory fit option. But I prefer slightly (only slightly) taller tyres, so that would mean going from 255/45/18 to 255/50/18 which are a nearly non-existent size. 255/55/18 are too big imo, had them on my t5, they are just a bit too much imo. So to filling the arches is more difficult, yes you can lower the van, but that does not fill the left and right hand gap , only the top gap; the margin is not the same. A bit OCD, but just saying;)

Wheels go round and stop the brake disks getting damaged.
That is all they do. Arch gaps? I don't even notice them.

But if I did, our Subaru would win. A small family could fit in each one. Just how I like it

Have a look at my avi- you can get a full Hovis wholemeal loaf in my standard Kombi arch gap with fitted 16's. I intend to drop this to a 3 slice of bread gap next week hopefully.

I will show before and after pics for comparison and maybe post a poll for the honest opinion of which looks better.

Back