Jimbob76's T6.1 Kombi - a long time in the planning...

Jimbob76

Swiss Army Van
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’ve been reading this forum for a while, and saving up for my new T6.1 Kombi for quite a bit longer. I’m due to collect it next Saturday, so in just 7 days I’ll hopefully fulfil an ambition I’ve had for quite a few years now. Before I start posting on the forum proper, the correct etiquette is probably to introduce myself as a new member and say “hi”.

I’m a middle aged bloke who appreciates a good motor and likes a spirited drive when the right time, place and road (and absence of wife, kids and dog!) presents itself. I like detailing. A bit too much.

I’m leaving behind a 2017 Audi S3 Sportback. The car has been a fantastic - a great all-rounder over the course of the last 4 years, but it had become too much of a garage queen, and it wasn’t getting used (just 2,500 miles in the last 18 months). When it dawned on me 2 months ago that the second hand market was so ruddy strong due to the semi-conductor/chip shortage, I decided to put it on Autotrader with a strong asking price and see what response I got. I placed the ad at 9pm on a Thursday evening, and by 3pm the next day it was driven off my drive for full asking price, which was pretty much what I’d paid for the car 4 years earlier. It was immaculate, so all that love and care paid off, and the new owner got a great car. Result.

7b.jpg

The problem was that we had x2 four door sporty family hatches, both of which did the same job, so one of them needed to go and we needed something very different. And tactical threats to the missus about getting a motorbike meant she got on board with my long held van ambition pretty quickly, lol. :sneaky:

The van’s going to be my daily driver. It’s not a work van - the plan is that it’s going to be the most practical family wagon you can imagine. And during the winter I’ll get it low-key camping ready in time for next spring (kombi bed etc.).

Factory specification highlights as follows:
- 2021 T6.1 Kombi
- Starlight Blue Metallic (which is going to keep my lOwCD busy, it’s gonna be a tricksy colour to keep looking it’s best)
- 204ps, DSG, front wheel drive
- Front and rear LED lights
- Twin power-latching sliding doors
- Power-latching tailgate
- Single ‘captains’ passenger seat in the front
- 2+1 rear seats
- Carpet in cab
- Rear view camera

Work I’m having done (and already well underway) before I collect it next weekend:
- Rear fully sound deadened, thermally insulated, carpet lined and suede panel trimmed
- Full leather seat re-trim (front and kombi seats)
- Front chin spoiler and splitter
- Tailgate roof spoiler
- Roof rails
- 20” gloss black wheels (staggered set-up)
- Bilstein B14 Komfort coil-over suspension, set with a 50mm drop (almost sensible, but I can see myself inadvertently taking the front splitter off at some point!).
- Gloss back tubular sidebars
- Gloss black grilles
- Carbon bumper protector
- Plus some other little bits (USB-C charging points etc)

So, hello to you all. I’m looking forward to exchanging experiences (good and bad) with some like-minded people. I’ll use this thread (and others) to update on experiences gained over the next few weeks/months/years. Looking forward to being an active member, and getting to know a bunch of characters. A few teaser pix of the new whip after I dropped in to check on progress today (apologies for the poor image resolution, and the van is filthy, I will do better in subsequent posts)...

Front.jpg

Rear.jpg
Seats.jpg
Box of bits.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers. And well spotted that man. They've been a pleasure to deal with thus far and very impressed with the quality of their work. Only 8 more sleeps to go...

Looking very very nice! looks like you may have some Devons for sale in the near future, once you've upgraded to VIP of course. ;)..and a trip to the tipp with your old suspension!:think smile bounce:...Good luck with your new toy!:thumbsup:....and dont forget to Wave!:waving:

Ha, yes - used to love getting waves when I had my old VR6 Corrado 20 odd years ago - the only car I've ever experienced that sense of community in. Looking forward to rejoining it. Already looking at the show calendar for next year :cool:

Nice Jim and very similar to my own spec except 18s on this time, reversing camera, carpet cab, aux diesel heater, extra battery, vw tow bar, suede roof and screen for kids, carpet & insulated, factory swivels make the captains a bit high for my liking so might change them or get rid of them

Nice van fella, and that...S3 sportsback looked nice for a 2017 plated car... you can tell you like a good waxing and buffing session.... this forum is wonderful for talking to like minded folk who are more than willing to go that extra mile to help out and I am sure you will come across that in the future the wealth of knowledge is second to none..... can't wait to see what you have ideas wise, waxes etc for keeping the new "mota" looking fresh... and those new 20's look the dangles mate... welcome... BR, Boysan...

Wow nice, pick ours up in a few weeks almost the same spec (Bayleaf Green, 150ps and single slider, but rest the same) and plans to do pretty much exactly the same mods you have done so far. Excited to see how you get on with it. LV have absolutely nailed the front splitter, nothing else comes even close, imho .

Back